YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to type up a "how to do my job" manual in case I die or become a brain-dead zombie or ....... something similarly unpleasant happens. Actually, now I think about it: also, just in case I say "fuck it, I've had enough, goodbye".

I'm not sure which format to do this in. Hand written would probably be quickest for me but I'd like to put it on a PC so the info is searchable for key words or names etc. This leads me to think that I need a simple database and I don't actually know how to create one. Creating one might prove to be relatively simple but it is editing it later to allow for all the things I've forgotten to put in.

Anybody got any alternative ideas/solutions? I've had a quick Google (is Google an official verb yet?) but can't find what I'm looking for. At the moment I'm thinking I'm suffering from a GIGO search.

Do you know, I'd really love for me n'SWMBO to run away. Curse responsibility!

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Database seems OTT - just a document with a table of contents
I only though of using a database because the compiling of the list of my worth and it will not be done in any particular order and it might be useful to be able to sort the list later. I'm pretty good at sorting stuff on a spreadsheet. I only know how to move stuff around in a document by using cut&paste&move.

Actually, I've just decided that my first problem is that I don't even know what field descriptions to use. :(

Someone MUST have created a template for this kind of thing? I'm off Googling again. :)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, you know what? Why should I care? It won't be me working through it anf that'll learn 'em to appreciate me!

Perhaps I'll write it out ....... but I'll make so many mistakes so perhaps I should type it out, afterall?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
1) Wash up cups
2) Put milk in cup
3) Add teabag
4) Add hot water
5) Add sugar as required
6) Stir
7) Serve

NB - You can increase productivity by turning on the kettle before step 1.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I use a program called Personal Brain at work to organise the chaos of my mind. It creates a mind map, a great big network of interconnected ideas, notes, etc that you can click through and follow ideas. You can attach files and link to websites as well. It makes it easy for other people to follow your train of thought.

You can export it to HTML and send it to others or post on a website.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
They tried this nonsense at my work a while back. No-one did it as they could see what was coming. They moved people around seemingly for the sake of it just to stop people getting too comfortable in their roles then all the contacts and local knowledge that was obtained was lost.

It was like asking a squaddie fresh out of initial training to give his beautifully bulled boots to a new recruit. No sodding way! It was hard earned and a right of passage. Took about a year for people to get back to a position they were before the pointless change.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a program called Personal Brain at work to organise the chaos of my mind. It creates a mind map, a great big network of interconnected ideas, notes, etc that you can click through and follow ideas. You can attach files and link to websites as well. It makes it easy for other people to follow your train of thought.

I like the sound of that ...... I wonder if it'll help me follow my own train of thought?

I've had enough of work today. I've been to the doctors. I've been to the dentists. I've been a good boy. I'm off home for some horizontal drinking and TV watching. I also believe I've got my once a week allowance of cholesterol clogging egg, bacon and chips for tea. Mmmmm, chip butties ...... delish!

You may not think much of it BUT tonight is a good night, for me! :)

TTFN.
:)

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I like the sound of that ...... I wonder if it'll help me follow my own train of thought?

I've had enough of work today. I've been to the doctors. I've been to the dentists. I've been a good boy. I'm off home for some horizontal drinking and TV watching. I also believe I've got my once a week allowance of cholesterol clogging egg, bacon and chips for tea. Mmmmm, chip butties ...... delish!

You may not think much of it BUT tonight is a good night, for me! :)

TTFN.
:)
If it copes with my goldfishlike attention span it should be ok :)

Sounds like you've got all the food groups covered.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I just watched the 10 minute tutorial and I note the guy giving the lecture does diving. :)

·
Nil carborundum illegitamae
350 Posts
1) Wash up cups
2) Put milk in cup
3) Add teabag
4) Add hot water
5) Add sugar as required
6) Stir
7) Serve

NB - You can increase productivity by turning on the kettle before step 1.
NO! No! No! Don't add the milk until the tea is brewed

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Sounds like what you need is a standardised management system:

Top level document listing your job as a series of outputs, tasks, responsibilities, whichever is most relevant. We tend to use a format of Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Annually, Ongoing / Projects.

For each item, write a 1 line statement of what it is, then move on.

Next, use a standardised format to describe each task / procedure (almost a recipe) with hyperlinks to reference docs of supporting info.

Add hyperlinks to each line in the master document, heading to the procedures.

This usually takes a couple of days if you go at it non-stop, or about 2 weeks if you chip away at it. Then all you do is keep updating it as new tasks crop up.

You need to decide how anal you're going to be about it. For example, if one of your tasks is to chair or run a meeting, you may want to have on the procedure sheet links to document templates for minutes, agendas, calling notices etc, all on the correct headed paper. Alternatively, you may just wish to include a list of attendees and the emails / links / phone numbers to get hold of them.

I tend to do this at the start of every new job (2.5 yrs or less) and keep it up to speed as I go, then hand it over to my relief. Granted the military is odd (in so many ways) in that we expect to only keep a job for such a short period, but we have a real problem with manpower churn in certain roles.

Needless to say, part of your procedures needs to include saving documents in such a way that your relief can get at them easily. Depending on the size of your organisation and how forward-thinking it is, there may already be an information management / info exploitation strategy in place....

Currently, I am rejoicing (not) in the role of Information Manager for a large training establishment of approx 1200 IT users and a further 2500 or so trainees. This annoying, mundane process is my bread and butter. Hence I spend my days clock watching for the "Jam" that is diving!

Reactions: Finless

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
IT/IE systems in the MoD... Ha ha ha... MOSS anyone?

Regards

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
GLOC,

You think MOSS is bad? Clearly, you've not had Meridio yet...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts