YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

never mind what s**t he was talking back on the boat with DCI, what boggles me is the sentence  "He [his buddy] indicated that he would have to abort the dive. Fair enough, I thought, but I’ve already got to 40+m, steamed out for three hours, so I may as well carry on. We waved goodbye to each other, and I carried on down."

So he carries on with a 40+m dive solo dive rather than return to the surface with his buddy. Huh? Plan the dive and dive the plan? Now whatever your views on solo diving, surely if you are going to do it - and on what he later refers to as an "extreme dive"  - it should be on the basis of  forward planning, extra redundancy etc , not a spur of the moment decision at 40+metres. Couldnt possibly have been narked. Could he?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It's not uncommon - if you configure for self-sufficiency at all times, then a buddy is a valuable bonus, but not somebody you actually need on a dive.

I seriously doubt he was narked as he was on 10/50 as a diluent - at 40m, that gives him an END of barely over 10m.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what extra bailout you'd expect a rebreather diver to take - if they're alpinist they'll take none either way, if they're not they'll take enough OC bailout to get them back up either way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Oct. 17 2003,10:26)]Came across this via a link on BSAC forum, quite piqued my interest as this is the first mention I've seen in print of someone having this DCI problem.
Actually, personality change and denial are fairly common signs of DCI.

We see a good few unable even to stand who refuse to believe that their situation is serious. A common question is "how soon can I dive again", when it should be "will I walk again".

Mind you, like my_evil_twin has said, sounds like in this case the DCI didn't need to change much.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Havent read it yet but it depends on the buddy and your agreement. I have dives with much better divers than my self and waved them good bye and gone up alown and I was happy to do that. I relished the opertunity to dive with the more experianced man / woman but didnt want to spoil their dive with my puney deco restrictions at that time.

I have also said goodbye to divers having watched them sucessfulley send up an SMB or got them safley back to the shot and carried on alown but again this was by prior agreement.

If I was not confident in the other divers abuility or if the other diver indicated that he / she wanted me to ascend with them I would instantly and without complaint abort the dive, but thats another issue.

Horses for courses

It hapens a lot. On my last livaboard to the channel islends I ended up solo on every dive only two by choice. My buddy had a problem on every other dive bar one and on that one he did a 20min bottom time and I did 40mins. Had I called the dive each time he had a problem I would have missed the three main dives of the trip.

I was happy he was happy whats the problem?

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 17 2003,14:23)]It hapens a lot. On my last livaboard to the channel islends I ended up solo on every dive only two by choice. My buddy had a problem on every other dive bar one and on that one he did a 20min bottom time and I did 40mins. Had I called the dive each time he had a problem I would have missed the three main dives of the trip.

I was happy he was happy whats the problem?

ATB

Mark Chase
hmm well as long as you had a prior agreement and were both happy - I wouldnt do it, and would be unhappy if my buddy did. Was diving in egypt once and joined unexpectedly by a third (crew member). Was quite happy to dive as a three with him, though a bit of warning would have been nice, still, nice for the crew to get a dive. Then at the end he despaired of our gas guzzling (which was pretty bad at the time ) and buggered off solo. Me an buddy looked at each other bemused, decided he knew what he was about and left him to it. Again, a bit of advance warning would have been nice!

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When we were in Mull recently I did most of my diving with John Mitchell; a very capable and experienced diver (And a really good bloke to boot. Hi John!).

Now we were a bit of a mismatch as buddies; I was on a single (on air) and John was on twins (on nitrox). This obviously gave John potential for much greater bottom time, so by prior arrangement we agreed that when I was ready to surface we'd deploy my SMB or return to the shot and he'd see me safely on my way up before continuing with his dive solo.

This presented no problems and all the dives passed without incident. However, even though I had complete trust in John's ability I must admit that the time spent on the boat waiting for John to surface safely was pretty uncomfortable. After all, you never know what may happen.

It was John's choice to dive this way and he's perfectly capable of assessing the risks himself and making his own decision. I'd be delighted to buddy with him again and would dive in this way if he wanted to. But it really rubs against the grain to leave your buddy behind, whatever the reason.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Sorry im still in the union brothers one out all out. Tough
but at least youll live to dive again.:blues:

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I think the by prior agreem ent point is the most important issue. If Louigi, or my evil twin asked me to buddy them and stated that they would not be hapy if I left them to ascend alone I would either agree to their profile or refuse to dive with them end of story.

If we agreed to do the same profile and somthing went wrong during the dive I would expect that the problem would be apparent (major cluster fu#k abort now) or that the diver would stop the dive indicate the want to ascend and indicate wether or not he/she was happy for me to continue alown. If no, we abort together and I wont say a word.

Dont worry about me continuing on alone thats MY choice and not your problem

When my buddy ascended alone after 20mins and left me solo we were on a 65m dive. He was a very experianced diver and he went up because he couldent be assed to do the 80mins of deco that a 40min bottom time required. No other reasion.
We were decoing off the shot on a deco station so I would have plenty of divers to say hellow to during my ascent so we considered it acceptable.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

I was't too bothered about the issue of him carrying on solo, it's common enough, what piqued my interest was that he was talking "rubbish" and knew it and was wondering how many divers could be labelled "bent" on account of what comes out of their mouth (quite a few in my experience
)

Hyperbaric - good point, I'm familiar with divers in denial, see and hear that a lot, your experience emphasises the obsessive attitude which seems so prevalent in diving; and it's not just health matters that are ignored, I've seen a few guys from the Uni club waste their undergraduate and post-graduate opportunities by getting obsessed with their diving. I also fail to understand why, when a diver professes to love their "sport" so much, they risk not being able to do it again because they only value the beginning and middle bits of the dive, but then seem to want to get the last (and most crucial) bit (ie decompressing) out of the way ASAP!  

1 - 10 of 10 Posts