YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
'Most' home users download it from a Torrent site.
Ahem. Yes. I am told people do that.

Luckily our firm has a global subscription to AutoDesk which covers all products, for around 4000 seats :) I hate to think what it costs.
We have that as well, same sort of numbers. When I got my new PC they dipped it in the Autodesk bucket, it had everything on it, probably about £20k's worth at retail. Been forced on to Revit, god it's shit.

As others have said, AutoCAD is not the tool to use. Although, I did my dive site map for my DM in AutoCAD as a 3D model so I could do sections and contour plots:)
I did as well. Although I picked a site that dried at low tide. An hour with a borrowed total station (I used to be a surveyor) and we had the lot. Just downloaded the data logger and let the software do it :D

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
We have that as well, same sort of numbers. When I got my new PC they dipped it in the Autodesk bucket, it had everything on it, probably about £20k's worth at retail. Been forced on to Revit, god it's shit.
Yes, our UK IT group are not so good. The lads in the Middle East were like "Bring your laptop in and we'll put a few things on it for you".

I made the switch to Revit (MEP version) last year, it was helpful for the stuff we were doing. It's OK for piping, but not great. It's an architects tool, and as such has been made so that they can use it. The other implementations of it are slowly catching up, but they still seem to be second best to the arch version.
I have been chatting with a few people at work about some work North of the border (Aberdeen of all places :( ), doing bits of rig design. They seem to use Inventor for everything, which should be another interesting learning curve. However we are looking at my security clearance next week for some 'sensitive' stuff :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts