YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,
I bought a shiny PDA a while ago (Clie - PalmOs) and thought it was time to find some nice dive software to stick on it - sort of a postdated justification attempt...

I came across Tide Tool (www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool.htm), which as I said is freeware.

It looks ideal - type in the location and it charts the tides for any given date - and the price is right.

Unfortunately, the latest version (2.1c) does not cover the UK (though it pretty much covers everywhere else).

Why?? because the UK hydrographic office has decided that it has the intellectual property rights to the data required to generate the tide info.

I think this is outrageous; UK taxpayers paid for the darn data to be collected, and the models derived from it.  UKHO do a freeby web based prediction (limited range), but otherwise you have to pay.  Even more annoying; they disable freeware software on a PDA, but don't even offer an alternative - wunch of bankers.

So does anybody have a slightly older version of the software that does cover the UK?

·
Fair weather diver
131 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info,  I had actually (finally) found it on an Italian site, after getting to the fouth page of a google search for it - nearly gave up (again).

Unfortunately...it runs up on my Clie NX70, and shows data for London Bridge.  You can see the B&W chart, see the table, set the date...marvellous.  However, as soon as I hit the button to change the dive site (London Bridge not being a priority for me), the Clie says fatal exception and resets!!

Somebody's having a laugh and it's not me!

As you say, shame about the data format incompatibility.
I wonder how difficult the transformation would be?  Any suggestions?

BTW thanks for the reply
Cheers
Paul

p.s.
Didn't mind your own link at all, now if we were talking Buddy Nexus (and didn't need any hardware...)

p.p.s.
any MPEG-2 Transport Stream Analyser software that you need, give me a call (I'll not hold my breath though)

·
Still learning, after all these years...
326 Posts
I have a v1.0 version of Palm TideTool from Bilofsky.

If you contact me by PM with your email address then I will email to you. It is very small (306Kb). You need the DBs and source code file.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Guys - the UKHO have now apparently released the UK tidal data, and the latest version of Tidetool (2.2) now has it again. I downloaded it a couple of days ago, and its working fine (would not work initially, but reinstalling seemed to sort it).

Web page is: http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool/

·
Still learning, after all these years...
326 Posts
Thanks Tom.
Downloaded and will test.
Original version was pretty useful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts