YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Birmingham and London Dive shows I did a talk on Solo diving.

There were a lot of requests to record the talk for those that couldn't make it. The finished recording is now available for anyone who wants to see the talk.

Solo Diving- Coming out of the Closet on Vimeo

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks Mark.
Glad to have seen the lecture now. Agree 100%. I would be one of those with hands up at the beginning. Might well for insurance purposes do a formal course.
In your course do you give special thought to those diving as a "nominal" buddy pair, EG two photographers, with particular reference to prior discussions re separation. It has on a number of occasions taken a lot longer than 1minute to find my buddy. I do now agree a plan for separation (NOT a Pre Nup) but the standard one minute is seldom (for us) appropriate.
Tim Digger

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In your course do you give special thought to those diving as a "nominal" buddy pair, EG two photographers, with particular reference to prior discussions re separation. It has on a number of occasions taken a lot longer than 1minute to find my buddy. I do now agree a plan for separation (NOT a Pre Nup) but the standard one minute is seldom (for us) appropriate.
Tim Digger
Hi Tim, Yes the course does cover this. It covers the pure solo diver but also covers the "nominal" buddy situations as well. Essentially it is about becoming self sufficient so that you can look after yourself whether you are truly alone or just have a buddy who may not be able to help you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there Mark,
Thanks for the video, it was very informative :)
Not going to attempt as of yet but will be solo diving in the future i can foresee :)

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Thanks Mark, well presented and Taught me a thing or two. Insurance/assurance good point.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good video, Mark, and many valid points.
I agree with the situations you described and with the risk assessment you made. Although some care has to be taken when showing the number of deaths. Those weren't really statistics, just the total numbers. A big problem we always encounter when trying to analyze accidents is not knowing how many dives are conducted in a particular manner. Yes, more than 70% of the people said they had solo dived, but that could have meant once in their lives and then 1000 buddy dives.

·
Registered
277 Posts
After watching the presentation, I now know I have 'solo dived' although I have never physically dived on my lonesome. Very thought provoking stuff.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the Video, i watched it and thought yep i have dived solo, as a commercial diver, instructor and naughty boy! but do we really need certs? are we not setting up a barrier that was not there before? seams that the "cert industry" produces money for the body who supply the cert and then possible the instructor? We now need a cert to use a twin set, a side cylinder, do a deco dive, wear a FFM, use a CCR and then more certs for different Dil and depth and then more certs for other units.

Who trains the cert givers? who is first and how do they get the training if there is no one doing it?

Will we need certification, to use a dry suit, pony, wing, DSMB etc soon? i have jumped out of planes solo, driving a car solo, have a pilots licence have performed areobatics solo to a good level, also been solo fishing and solo snorkelling too. Only one of the list do i have a certification for, pilots licence, but can fly different planes and do aerobatics without need for further certification!

Like what you say about "it will kill you" i have been involved in diving since the mid 1970's and have hear the "it will kill you" for years and years, anything new in diving will kill you dead! as a dead thing, until it becomes the norm, nitrox, ABLJ, BCD, CCR, Computers, trimix, pony's, CBL, drysuits plus many many more. in fact i am surprised i am still here! LOL.

Lets have some sense if people are medically fit then why not, but it will take a while to come out of the closet! i had a computer in 1987 i was banned from using it, i did my IANTD advanced nitrox in 1991 and it was like we had two heads and really hard to get nitrox. but now 21 years later it is accepted as fins and masks.

good luck with the course but lets not make what we have done for years become hard all of a sudden!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the Video, i watched it and thought yep i have dived solo, as a commercial diver, instructor and naughty boy! but do we really need certs? are we not setting up a barrier that was not there before? seams that the "cert industry" produces money for the body who supply the cert and then possible the instructor? We now need a cert to use a twin set, a side cylinder, do a deco dive, wear a FFM, use a CCR and then more certs for different Dil and depth and then more certs for other units.

Who trains the cert givers? who is first and how do they get the training if there is no one doing it?

Will we need certification, to use a dry suit, pony, wing, DSMB etc soon? i have jumped out of planes solo, driving a car solo, have a pilots licence have performed areobatics solo to a good level, also been solo fishing and solo snorkelling too. Only one of the list do i have a certification for, pilots licence, but can fly different planes and do aerobatics without need for further certification!

Like what you say about "it will kill you" i have been involved in diving since the mid 1970's and have hear the "it will kill you" for years and years, anything new in diving will kill you dead! as a dead thing, until it becomes the norm, nitrox, ABLJ, BCD, CCR, Computers, trimix, pony's, CBL, drysuits plus many many more. in fact i am surprised i am still here! LOL.

Lets have some sense if people are medically fit then why not, but it will take a while to come out of the closet! i had a computer in 1987 i was banned from using it, i did my IANTD advanced nitrox in 1991 and it was like we had two heads and really hard to get nitrox. but now 21 years later it is accepted as fins and masks.

good luck with the course but lets not make what we have done for years become hard all of a sudden!
These days insurers (and maybe Dive Centres and boat owners) need some come of protection from the (near) terminally stupid.

You don't NEED a cert to solo dive (you don't need any training at all, but I don't think anyone would advocate that, would they?), but insurers need some way to measure if you were properly trained to do what you're doing or they'd be paying out every day and we'd all get miffed that our travel insurance cost more than the holiday.

It's up to you, but just because you know you're capable doesn't mean the insurer/dive centre/boat owner does.

Is it really that had to get a Certification and, at least, refresh some skills? It can't be a cost argument, because diving's hardly a cheap sport and the cost wouldn't be noticed in the scheme of a couple of season's diving.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can't agree with this course and cert for everything pish. an entire industry has sprung up in the last 10 years or so based on issuing certs for everything. the guys who are charging for the courses and handing out the certs have in quite a few cases far less experience than a lot of BSAC club divers. pay someone to issue me with a cert for solo diving? you're avin a larf. I have been solo diving since about 1985 and have probably done in excess of a thousand solo dives, from 3m hull scrubs to 75m wreck dives. what am I going to get out of a padi solo diving course? who trained the first solo diving instructor? no one. He knocked up a few slides in powerpoint (probably with the wrong sums for gas planning and ppO2 judging from most techie training manuals) based on experience, printed out some naff certificates and started charging saps for said naff certificate.

the trouble is that if someone comes up with a course and cert and you have an issue the insurance company or whoever will say 'ah but you weren't certified for this dive because you haven't done a deep dive / solo dive / drysuit dive/ SMB use / reading a dive computer / diving in the sea / etc course' however if there were no course and cert, what would they say to get out of paying the grieving widow? Wouldn't they have to prove you weren't competent to undertake the dive and that you put yourself at risk?

I think I might have to set up my own training agency and sign myself up as an instructor trainer for every piece of equipment and diving scenario I can think of, then issue myself certs for everything in case someone wants their arse covering whilst diving with me.

oh I forgot, I dive solo. there is no one diving with me. thats the point.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If someone is doing their first open water dives, would they have not completed their pool/confined water training first.??

·
Registered
157 Posts
is there a course for deep solo cave diving using only air?
yup, starts when you're born ends when you die. it's called life. The whole course is one of continuous development based on both theoretical studies and practical experience and is designed to develop awareness and self reliance. There's no chance of a resit if you fail and even if you pass it usually ends in tears.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts