Solo Diving - Have you, would you or a complete NO NO

• Would you ever dive solo?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will, no doubt, be a touchy one.....I wouldn't mind hearing views on this.

I know it's said "you dive alone you die alone" but, for example, cave divers often dive alone and are prepared for that situation and what it may bring.....problem and crisis solving on the spot, which is what all divers should, in theory, be able to do.

Please don't take this as encouragement to dive alone...it's just a question.

Anyway, thoughts please.....

Kinetic

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>No surprise at my answer

No, No and Yes, its a no go area.

Andy

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

My favourite type of diving is with mates, solo, but in the same area.  It is a fantastic feeling doing what you want, when you want, with the added bonus that someone will work out something's wrong if you go missing...

Don't do it often, and I have the gear for it.

Newbies, don't go there.  Please.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Absolutely - best way to go. Not very sociable but much more entertaining

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Have done it and would do it again - wouldn't do it on any dive that makes me feel apprehensive (deeper than 30m) or one where there are known issues (like a wreck covered in fishing filament). But shallow, warm and using my own kit I have no issues with solo diving.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Same as mdemon. I wouldn't just toddle off on my own, but if there's a bunch of us then I much prefer solo. I'm not the worlds best dive leader(pure ingnorance on my part. I hold my hands up) and can't stand going where someone else wants to go. If I'm on a wreck I prefer to see it as going round a pub and bumping into various friends along the way.

Peter

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

Love solo diving, most of the diving I do is solo and hopefully I will be Solo again tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Allan

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

My favorite diving is with Andrew because we have droped into a kind of grouve and it works.

My second favorite diving is solo but whilst I love the freedom of the dive and the fantastic feeling of calm it gives me I am always a bit disapointed on the trip home to not have any one to talk through the dive with who shaired my experiance.

I used to have a depth restriction on solo but now I don't. My self imposed restriction is limited penitration into any wreck and not atempting any tight swim throughs.

My kit configuration for buddy diving is exactly the same as my solo rig. I always dive with a level of redundancy to cope with problems on my own.

Totaly independant bail out gas (even with a twin set on deep dives)

Two cutting tools

Three SMB's two reels including two self inflators for redundent lift

an EPERB

Two dive computers

Spair mask

Back up tourch

The vast majority of Solo dives I have done are off a boat so I have surface cover / support

I think solo shore dives are more dangerous but informing the cost guard or a RELIABLE person before and after the dive and having an EPERB is a prety safe way of doing them.

The only two risks for me on a solo are entrapment and personal medical incident. One of the Delta teem had a sheet of boiler plate fall on him when he was inside a wreck. If a passing teem member hadent seen bubbles rising he would be dead.

You cant odds that

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Solo dives can be fun. Certain dives are more suited to solo diving and there is always less peer pressure for you to accompany someone on doubtful dives.  Last week I dived in the surge, swimming circles in the shallows in swiftly accelerating currents that would  carry you up and down and pull you back, great fun on your own, but no place to be keeping tabs on the whereabouts of a buddy.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (budgy @ Sep. 26 2003,19:59)]Solo dives can be fun. Certain dives are more suited to solo diving and there is always less peer pressure for you to accompany someone on doubtful dives.  Last week I dived in the surge, swimming circles in the shallows in swiftly accelerating currents that would  carry you up and down and pull you back, great fun on your own, but no place to be keeping tabs on the whereabouts of a buddy.
I'll second that. Your buddy thought "Fu*k this for a game of soldiers" and bailed out to nurse his sore parts. Of which there is still many. I feel like one of those wee Ribena men with the amount of bruises on me.

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sometimes I've had to - for reasons that need not get re-hashed here...

Have done it; will probably do it again; wouldn't recommend it for those who are new to diving or don't have the full compliment of bail-out (i.e. in terms of kit or depth to reach surface) in the event that it does go Royally 'thru'pennies' on ya.

Learn to dive; then dive; then learn to dive - yes, it happens in that order.....

Dive safe all, always.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I would never dive solo although when I was just a PADI Rescue diver my buddy skills were so bad I may as well have been solo most of the time (and my poor wife).

I have never done a solo dive.

Regards,

MArk.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I really like to dive with a trusted buddy,it's sociable and feels safer, for my experience and ability. Dont have a problem with other people doing it if they are up to it and have kit redundancy.
Cant imagine preferring to dive alone that diving with my favourite buddy.:)
jules

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Most of my dives are solo. None of the other B8stards will dive with me (sob).

Billy No Mates

EDIT - I'm with Bren on this one. Nurse!  Pills quickly!!!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Aways dive solo, mainly coz at work i'm under water on my own , ( YES i know i'm connected to the surface and have mates to chat to via comms ) but it's peaceful and you are basically ya own boss. No-one sees ya good or bad bits  

Branch dives same as above, i'm normally the first one in on my own to sort out the shot, and 99 % of the time the last one up, having said this i do normally bump into inexperienced divers and tend to follow them or lead them to something i have seen intresting that they might like to see.

All my kit is config for SOLO use only, No spare of anything , coz if the sh*t does hit the fan , the only place i'm going is to the surface,,,,,,,even if that means missing stops etc,,,,,, ya can sort a bend out on the surface ,...

Andy.

And YES my wife knows the dangers and approves, something she has lived with since we met in 1989,

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Now it's my turn,
I voted to no as I did it only once, also here if you see the accidents that happen are always solo (also to say the truth nearly if not all did not have adequet bail out)

This is my story, all my family and friends know that SAT is my diving day and what ever happens I go diving.  I was called by my wife's father to go and help him a little bit. It ended up staying for 5hrs and missing the dive with my buddies. I was so angry with what has happened (missing the dive) that I decided to dive solo. While under water a bad tought crossed my mind "and if something happens to me and never be found? " SO from then on I dive only with my trusted buddies but using solo equipment. Also I don't want to loose the pleasure to meet with buddies have fun, lot of fun, have a nice and safe dive and a couple of beer after.  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi all,

The crack with your mates is half the dive, but i have dived solo and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However i nearly always dive with an inexperienced diver, and rarley the same person more than twice so i am ready and equiped to deal with everything myself.

I think it is essential that every UK diver has the equipment and skills to recover themselves - with our vis its just too easy to go solo partway through a dive.

But buddy brief and skills must be integeral to any dive plan 'cos thats the safest and best way to recover.

But the pleasure of a solo dive in good vis on a good wreck full of sea life:D

Last year, the Loanda, 25m, a wreck i know like the back of my hand, diving as a trio with 2 new qual SD, 15m vis (yes 15m off Dover), total slack, they get low on air so i send them back to the shot, and i bimble from the bow, past the trade beads and long stemed pipes, down into the open centre hold, ships ribs on eather side, bib, wrasse, pollack, edible crabs, lobsters, congers, U name it all around me as i glide through the wreck. No one to worry about but myself, total, total bliss and diving rapture. Pure heaven.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Technically solo everytime I take a group of students on OW 1-4 so the answers yes!

Guiding dives - same thing sometimes - give the briefing on the boat - everyone jumps in and sods off without a thought to what they had been told - oh well never mind says I - might as well dive on my lonesome then - the best 30 mins or so I've had in a long time, until I bumped into a couple of the group and they ruined it all for me !

Ho hum - hourses for courses I guess !

Paul

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

I can come out of the closet now...

I dive solo all the time...BUT...having said that, I do so because I feel confident enough to do so, right gear, right attitude (can be important).

I was really quite surprised to know that so many of us do...

My best dives (in a murky lake) have been on my own.

BUT...I do refer newbies to my opener...this is not encouragemnt to solo.

Cheers for now.

Graham

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Paul - Ha ha, I've seen you trying to go off all by yourself. I know I am one of those folk who has "ruined it" for you by wafting up to you with both my index fingers pressed together and a pouting look...
cos rebreather Dave sodded off and left you all by yourself and I felt like a solo dive but saw you and chickened out! Remember? You missed that eel though.....

And hey, if wasn't for me and my shaker, you would have gone right past that file fish on that wreck (which one was that.. Lartington?)! Solo, you'd miss a lot I think.

I have solo dived occassionaly. But sometimes can get a little spooked, cos I am so used to having a buddy and can suddenly feel a little too lonely. I would only do it on familiar dive sites though... with good conditions and no deeper than 60ft.

I prefer to have a buddy cos nobody will be able to back up your "it was this big" story on the boat otherwise!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts