YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning! Just a little trip reportette about our dive on the Scylla last night.

It was a lovely sunny evening, and Whitsand Bay was flat calm, when Turbie and I dropped down to the deck, then on to the seabed at about 25m. It was surprisingly gloomy down there, and the viz wasn’t terrific, so we switched on our torches and off we went. Huge silvery pollack swam in and out of our torchbeams, which picked up Sea Pens, Fanworms, enormous fluffy, peach and cream Plumose Anemones, a shifty–looking Spider Crab bothering an urchin then, suddenly, a John Dory! This is only the third one I’ve ever seen, and he was a relative tiddler, about palm-sized. He didn’t seem fussed by our presence, but eventually put up his punky spikes and swam off.

We carried on around the stern, which is covered in those sea-squirts that look like they need dusting, then gradually came up the side to the railing. More Plumose Anemones and tiny purple starfish, then something golden in the torchbeam – IT’S A SQUID! A strapping, 2 foot chap, with huge black eyes! I’ve never seen one of these before (some were spotted on Monday night on the Poulmic as well) and boy, are they weird! With their tentacles together, their outline is very similar to that of a pollack, but it’s very different being eyed by a squid than being gazed at by a gormless fish! Chuffed to bits, we swam on towards the bow. Blob up, dive over, what a great way to spend a Tuesday evening!

That’s what I love about diving – a seemingly ordinary, cold, gloomy dive produces fab stuff like that! And practically on our doorstep, too! :)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Nice report-ette....you managed to make a normally dull and sterile wreck interesting! :)

Watch out Monty...you have competition (and I bet your finning is better!!!)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't suppose she waves her arms in an uncontrolled and annoying manner either.....nice one Kirstie,
Mal
Only when I see squid and John Dory :)

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Lovely report bird! Can't wait to get down there and dive with you in july :) :girlhug:

Love Hxxx

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Oooo, I'm really looking forward to my trip down there next month now! :) I wanna see squids!!!

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Saw my first and only John Dorey off the JEL a couple of years ago... great looking fish!

Nice little report... I love summers evenings like that... flat calm, sun shining..... loverrrly.:teeth:

Pete

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooo, I'm really looking forward to my trip down there next month now! :) I wanna see squids!!!
You might be lucky - according to Sally, our Seasearch lady, they're all coming in to shallower water to breed at the moment. Ours was looking a bit tired and tatty - I think he'd just been doing his breeding :)

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
You might be lucky - according to Sally, our Seasearch lady, they're all coming in to shallower water to breed at the moment. Ours was looking a bit tired and tatty - I think he'd just been doing his breeding :)
Ooo, if you could reserve some squid for me to see on the weekend of 14/15th July I'd really appreciate it. Doesn't matter if they're energetic or tired. I'll be happy just seeing them :)

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ooo, if you could reserve some squid for me to see on the weekend of 14/15th July I'd really appreciate it. Doesn't matter if they're energetic or tired. I'll be happy just seeing them :)
They'll be all shagged out by then :teeth:

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
What a lovely dive for a weekday evening. I'm not jealous, no not at all, not one little bit. I can lie too.
I *must* sort out a trip to do the Scylla and JEL again.

Is there anything AT ALL left on the Poulmic now ? There was bugger all when I dived it in 1994!

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What a lovely dive for a weekday evening. I'm not jealous, no not at all, not one little bit. I can lie too.
I *must* sort out a trip to do the Scylla and JEL again.

Is there anything AT ALL left on the Poulmic now ? There was bugger all when I dived it in 1994!
I've been given the Poulmic as my mapping project for DM, and it's a bugger. I've dived it twice in the last two weeks, and I can't tell what's metal and what's rock. I did find something that was apparently a gearbox but it could just as easily have been a chunk of rock. I haven't got as far as the main bit of the wreck yet (what there is of it) so I have that pleasure to come.

It's all very spread out and broken up in an area full of gullies. Quite a pretty dive but a right royal pain to map :)

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Excellent :thumbsup:

Let me know when you see six of them :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts