YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all.

Got a shiny new P12 and casing in the post today.  I am off on holiday on Saturday so I will not have a lot of chance to practice before I get there.  Therefore, would anyone be able to give me some suggestions for settings / hints and tips / anything else on how to use it?

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Imported post

hi there paul i have a p10 which is almost the same i took some really good pics just with the camera on auto settings when in the red sea it really does do a lot of work for you .leave it on iso 200 as 400 is a bit grainy when enlarged ,take youre time and let the auto focus work for you.and keep in close as distane no matter what will come out blue.
check out this site these were all taken with a p9 it is a friend of mines page
http://www.marky-b.com/red%20sea%20marine%20life.htm
have fun let me know how you go on
very interested
steve buccilli

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Paul I have a p12 and I got some cracking photo's inthe Red Sea last month.

Before I went to the Red sea I had some time in Luxor and thought that I'd try out the new toy in the pool at the hotel. What luck there was a guy in the pool who was a pro photographer and who did nothing more than take photo's for holiday brochures, he used a sony as his main camera and had a p 10 as back up. His advice is to set it on the black camera logo with the p, turn it on, press the bin button once, set it to 3.1 meg ( cos unless you want A3 pics you will use all your memory without need ) then press the bin again.
next press menu toggle to ISO now you can use 200 (as sugessted ) or I was told 100 (but that is a slower shutter speed and if its moving or your bouyancy isn't spot on it'll blur) I set auto and that was fine, it uses a slower sutter speed if the light is low (deeper) and a faster shutter speed if you have more light. Everything else I set on auto also with the exeption of the white balance which I found better on cloudy ( also use this setting to take fantastic sunset shots, I alterd the white balance throughout a series of shots and got some fantastic pics ).
Next mess about with the flash setting so it fires a few flashes before the big one.
Also set the video to vga if the light is okay ( and you'll know that by the picture in the  screen on the back ) you can shoot some tip top video.
In all I was well impressed with my camera, I hope that you get some some good uns too.

If I knew how to put some pics in here I would so you can see the quality.

Goog luck, let me know how you get on.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Simon,
      Try using the browse bit at the bottom of your add reply screen. Don't preview post or it just deletes it.

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Ok Simon, I'll say it verrrrry slowly for you.
Step 1-
You're looking at this message just now. You want to reply with a witty, yet strangely informative response. You press the *ADD REPLY* button. Look, look, there it is! Just next to new topic and new poll. You're now in the tricky world of adding a reply!

Step 2-
Where you type in the reply(Big grey box, approx.3"X6") underneath it you will see a button that says *BROWSE*. Press this!! It takes you into your home PC to browse for any 'photos you may wish to add. Double click the address for the 'photo and it adds the link straight into the white box next to the browse button.

Step 3-
Press *ADD REPLY* again. Do *NOT* press preview post as this wipes out all your hard work.  

Peter

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Don't for get to let us know how you get on.
I feel very proud, only been diving just over 3 monts and I'm already answering questions on YD. ( I know, I know, its not a diving question, but it's diving related though ).

I would also like to mention in the credits that the photo post would not have been possible without the help and guidence of the "Scotsman born in England" PETER K.

Don't forget to post your photo's Sinbad, instructions are above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts