YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the very near future, i'm going to be given FOC a Sony housing like this

View attachment 3931

Now the stated depth rating is only 2 metres! Which obviously isn't too great. However, i have a sneaky suspicion that the depth rating will be more to do with operating any buttons on it rather than it leaking.....

I'm not particularly worried about that part as i have an old camera that will fit, and it'll just be turned on before i jump in and turned off when i get back on the boat (assuming the battery lasts that long).......

I'll probably take it down, minus the camera to start with and see, but, has anyone used one before at any depth deeper than 2 metres?

Steve

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Probably 5 metres or so (several years ago) - and I do recall the flimsy buttons sticking on at that stage. I certainly wouldn't trust anything expensive inside one below say 1-2 metres!

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Steve,

The depth rating may also be linked to the ports - front lens and back viewing - it could be that they are inferior in strength to Sony's proper 'dive' housings. All Sony housings and lamps are made by a sub-contractor - Sea&Sea who have a great reputation but I reckon that 2m rating is there for a reason, so I wouldn't risk much more than 5-6m. If you pop a port in (even on an empty test dive) you've wasted a useful peice of kit as they are great for boat/splash/snow/rain/mud/beer and camel snot protection.

Berko

1 - 3 of 3 Posts