YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>on behalf of woz and myself....

has anyone dived the sound of mull recently?  we're off there this week, but before i start getting too excited i wonder if anyone could tell me what the vis and temperature are doing?!

also, does anyone have details of some nice scenic sites in the area? although of course we'll do all the usual wrecks, i wouldn't mind some life-y stuff for a change....  i'm quite keen on lochaline pier (we're staying in lochaline) - where can we get info on safe diving times etc?

cheers! kate

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The temp in Loch Long was 8 last Thursday, the Sound will probably be about 10'ish. Lochaline pier looked like a reasonable dive the time I tried it with John Mitchell. Circumstances stopped us going any further. Get good tide info. for it!

Errm, Where else? Risga Pinnacle, Calve Island, Slignish Mohr, Pennygown Point. I've dived the first two there and Risga was the better by a long shot.

If you can get a run out to Coll and Tiree then the world is your oyster. Are you going off a hardboat or RIBing?

Peter
EDIT-Viz on a poor day is probably 5mtrs

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>thanks for that peter. 10 degrees - wow! after a winter diving stoney 'cold and boring' cove that sounds great.

we're RIBing it, so no-where too far unfortunately (especially with our RIB....).  thanks for the scenic dives - i think we've been to calve island before so that one could be on.... looking good  

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

HI Kate,

Lochaline Pier:
You need to dive it at high tide (slack).
Its a nice wall dive with lots of depth.
You enter from the pebble beach opposite the Lochaline hotel (evil place) there is a metal gate then a 50 metre track down to the beach.  When you enter the water, head straight out towards Mull, there is a shallow sandy bottomed lagoon to about 3m which is edged by a ridge covered in kelp, this ridge is about 40-50 metres from the beach. Go over/through the kelp and head about 30 degrees to your right, the depth drops to about 12m then you will hit the top of the wall. Keep the wall to your right on the way out and left on your way back (obviousl der!). When you are coming backin watch for the sandy bit at the top of the wall and you will hit the kelp ridge and the beach again.

Or just ask Phil at the dive centre and he will draw you a wee map.

C

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Kate

Just back from Mull - as we were leaving on the ferry we saw the sun for the first time  
 Still, we had a cracking time.

We had a great dive on Pennygown Quarry - lots more life (inc a conger chomping on a squatty) than on Calve Island but Calve is more impressive in terms of scale.

We also did Risga Pinnalce which was stunning. We knocked off Sligeanach Mohr (okay) as well and another cliff at Auliston Point (good).

Hope you benefit from better weather than we did.

Cheers

Simon

PS - I can also confirm the Green and Orange seagull is still there and seems as happy as ever.  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

kate
just got back from mull today, viz was excellent, temperature about 10 degrees c. The pubs in Tobermoray were heaving since it was music festival weekend. will post a trip report as soon as i download the piccies.
Jules:D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ April 26 2004,23:01)]just got back from mull today, viz was excellent, temperature about 10 degrees c. The pubs in Tobermoray were heaving since it was music festival weekend. will post a trip report as soon as i download the piccies.
Jules:D
You must have too much time on your hands, how was the green and orange seagull. Bet the weather wasn't as good as March even if the sea was warmer.

Jules special scallops all round again?

Dougie

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Got piccies of the seagull in Tobermoray this time...did some wakeboarding off the back of the Jane R (not bad considering i was diving with the Loyal Mediator) and tested Gordons new sun deck and jacuzzi ( i kid you not!) pics will be posted as and when i get them off my camera and onto the pc.
Didnt do any cooking but collected a few scallops on the fastest scallop drift dive ever.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Julia

Did not see you up there; kept a look out. In fact I didn't see the LM at all but did see Gordon and the Jane R at the Music festival.

We were the mob in the 2 scummy old RIBS. The house we had was one of the ones on the skyline on the hill above Tobes, immediately opposite Calve Island.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Ah...the Mishnish...old memories of a life gone by. Eric and Jane sitting by the bar, band in the corner, drunken divers everywhere. Life was good when I was young.

Now I have to dive in the Gulf of Oman every weekend....it's not fun you know.

Have fun wherever you dive.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ April 26 2004,15:26)]thanks for that peter. 10 degrees - wow! after a winter diving stoney 'cold and boring' cove that sounds great.

we're RIBing it, so no-where too far unfortunately (especially with our RIB....).  thanks for the scenic dives - i think we've been to calve island before so that one could be on.... looking good  
<font color='#000080'>Not with the new improved 'WozRib'. Rewired it on Sunday after discovering that the electrics had been seriously bodged together and were all rotten. Lots of voltage but 'cos of the corrosion no power. Now all tikkety boo in a sealed and Gobboed (that's silicone) box.

Pink twins looking very worrying at the back of the kitchen, though...

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ April 27 2004,14:49)]Not with the new improved 'WozRib'. Rewired it on Sunday after discovering that the electrics had been seriously bodged together and were all rotten.
by the way he says it you'd think he'd done it all by himself....

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Anything in that doccy useful Kate? When I re-read it, it seemed a bit particular to my gigs! I'm sure you'll have a great time though.

Just as an added pointer- If you get a reasonably scaled map/chart for the area you'll see Risga Island in Loch Sunart(opposite Tobermory), that's, unsurprisingly, where Risga Pinnacle is!

Peter

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ April 27 2004,15:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ April 27 2004,14:49)]Not with the new improved 'WozRib'. Rewired it on Sunday after discovering that the electrics had been seriously bodged together and were all rotten.
by the way he says it you'd think he'd done it all by himself....
<font color='#000080'>With help from the glamorous assistants Matt and John and the occasional helpful bit of damning criticism from Steve. And one of his dogs dry humping my leg while trying to crimp on some terminals. Very offputting.

Am getting excited about the trip now.  Off to get ingredients for a chilli on Thu night along with some water and other supplies. Any requests?

G

·
Imported post

May bump into each other on the Sunday, what does your Rib look like? Any peculiar features or bodges that make it easy to identify?

I am hoping the weather stays calm enough (reports are good)till the weekend to get out to Bo Fascadale but the next choice is the Sound.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ April 27 2004,15:09)]Am getting excited about the trip now.  Off to get ingredients for a chilli on Thu night along with some water and other supplies. Any requests?
just remember - nothing healthy on a dive trip.  we want stuff for bacon butties, lots of other meaty-things, and beer.  oh, and some white wine, lemon and garlic butter for the scallops.

i remember when mary catered on a dive trip a few years back... she had us on veggie lasagnas and salad, bless her heart  

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubber Johnny @ April 27 2004,15:17)]May bump into each other on the Sunday, what does your Rib look like? Any peculiar features or bodges that make it easy to identify?

I am hoping the weather stays calm enough (reports are good)till the weekend to get out to Bo Fascadale but the next choice is the Sound.
<font color='#000080'>It's called Unneccessary Faff and is a Humber with a 75hp Mariner on the back and A frame. Also has no bottle rack and a rather bizarre and totally redundant 'pillon seat' which is going to be attacked soon with an angle grinder.  Will probably have the engine cover off with 3 blokes looking at it sucking their teeth, another one making silly coments, yet another bloke making 'eeee when I were a lad we didn't have no fancy pants RIBs' comments and a girl wandering past suggesting ways to fix it which annoyingly turn out to be really clever.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and some white wine, lemon and garlic butter for the scallops.
And potatoes for the mash to go with them.

I shall bring some chip fat for us all to drink during SI which will help with off gassing and will fur up the arteries nicely. Are you bringing the chocolate?

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ April 27 2004,16:06)]It's called Unneccessary Faff and is a Humber with a 75hp Mariner on the back and A frame. Also has no bottle rack and a rather bizarre and totally redundant 'pillon seat' which is going to be attacked soon with an angle grinder.  Will probably have the engine cover off with 3 blokes looking at it sucking their teeth, another one making silly coments, yet another bloke making 'eeee when I were a lad we didn't have no fancy pants RIBs' comments and a girl wandering past suggesting ways to fix it which annoyingly turn out to be really clever.
why thank you.

ok, i've got the 'eeee when I were a lad we didn't have no fancy pants RIBs' character - but who will it be making silly comments?!  quite a few cantidates methinks  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I shall bring some chip fat for us all to drink during SI
don't be silly, kev isn't on this trip!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you bringing the chocolate?
can do.....  and since i'm a risely i will no doubt be clutching my G&T....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts