YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Plans to create an artificial reef in the Sound of Mull have moved forward.
The next step is the feasibility study which will examine the appropriate sites, potential benefits and risks. The aim is to sink a decomissioned Destroyer in the area.

You can register your interest here Register your interest in an Artificial Reef for the Sound of Mull

It would be great if the YD community got behind this project to help make it happen!
The more divers that show an interest, the more likely it will go ahead.

Come on, let's make it happen!

C

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to Dr Dundee for starting this off!

A new organisation, The Sound of Mull Artificial Reef Trust or ‘SMART’, is being established to take forward a community tourism project here in the Sound of Mull, through the intentional sinking of an ex naval ship. Inspired by the environmental and economic success of HMS Scylla, which was submerged near Plymouth in 2004, and other ships around the world, SMART is of the opinion that this could bring similar benefits to the West Coast of Scotland and the Highlands & Islands.

This type of artificial reef has been developed in a number of countries including the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the Cayman Islands. The Highlands & Islands Enterprise (HIE) is planning to support and part-fund a feasibility study into the plans, which will include a detailed assessment of the potential economic and environmental benefits to the area.

More information on HMS Scylla, including economic and environmental impacts, can be found here:

divescylla.com
bbc.co.uk/devon/news_features/2004/scylla_sinking.shtml
wrecktoreef.co.uk/articles/scylla-eco-soc/scylla-eco-soc.html
artificial-reefs.blogspot.com

SMART has prepared a new website which will provide a lot more information and project details and this will be going live shortly. In the interim a holding page is live at SMARTdiving.co.uk where you, as part of the diving community who have spent time here in the Sound of Mull, can register interest in the project, provide your comments and insights, and be kept informed of developments directly as they happen.

So please visit the SMART diving webpages and register your interest: we need your support and value your comments and ideas at this early stage. You can also follow SMART on twitter @SMARTdiving.

Mark & Annabel

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Never been down that way but isn't the James Egan Lane virtually next door to the Scylla with other wrecks fairly close by too?

It would seem that the proximity of other 'natural' wrecks is no barrier to artificial ones being placed and attracting economic growth through diver tourism as well as improving marine life.

Sadly, the pessimist in me makes me think this will never happen. For one thing SMART will have to involve Argyll and Bute Council and that Council has a track record of doing nothing to attract diver tourism, in fact they seem to revel in doing their best to discourage divers (Kenmore Point, for example). The contrast between A&BC and Borders or even OIC (St Abbs etc and Scapa respectively) couldn't be more stark. You can dive all year round in Lochs Long and Fyne but the only thing A&BC do to 'promote' the area for divers is to make sure you cannot take a dump in a toilet for free anywhere in the county.

Scottish Govt won't help either, they're too busy squandering millions on making sure they could, theoretically, take a tram from their houses in the New Town to Embra airport ( of course they'll actually take a black hack on expenses, as usual, to avoid the proles)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My question is why? The Sound of Mull has numerous wrecks in situ which has plenty of marine life living on them, so why does it need an artifical reef being sunk?
Basically, in common with the other main scottish wreck diving destination in scapa, the wrecks are collapsing and within the foreseeable future will be a pile of plates on the seabed. Seeding the seabed with new wrecks is one way of keeping the industry alive locally.
As an A&B resident as well as a diver I wouldn't see paying to put new wrecks in as a good use of my taxes which are already amongst the highest in the country. If money was to be put in I would rather it was spent on multi use facilities like pontoons and slips which can be used by more folk.
I personally have zero interest in "manufactured" wrecks but this is not necessarily everyones view on the subject so wish them well. Fortunately there are still wrecks in the area, albeit smaller ones, to be found and this still keeps me busy hunting them down.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
For one thing SMART will have to involve Argyll and Bute Council and that Council has a track record of doing nothing to attract diver tourism, in fact they seem to revel in doing their best to discourage divers (Kenmore Point, for example).
Not necessarily, Lochaline is in Lochaber. Mull is in A&B so it depends where the wreck is to be placed.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I probably wouldn't agree with this, indifference is more on target.
Other than a particular local dive operation who may be correct when he says the council is out to get him..........:D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I probably wouldn't agree with this, indifference is more on target.
Other than a particular local dive operation who may be correct when he says the council is out to get him..........:D
Hmm, further south, around Loch Fyne and Loch Long they certainly don't encourage diving and actively collude with landowners avoiding their obligations the Land Reform (S) Act 2003. The lure of CT being much more attractive than income to the area from divers. You only have to compare and contrast their attitude to divers with their attitude to hillwalkers. Apparently hillwalkers don't shit but every piece of excrement on the shores of Loch Fyne or Loch Long must have come from a diver (presumably diver's shite fizzes in water, that's how they can tell) and prompts snotty letters from A&BC to BSAC and SSAC.

I used to work alongside one of certain person's solicitors (I say one, apparently he's been through them all in town to the extent he can no longer get anyone local to represent him!) and he had a few choice words to say about his former client, so I could believe the local authority do have an axe to grind there.

Anyway, we're getting well OT. Good luck to SMART, it'll be good if it happens.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think it's a good idea. As the SOM wrecks start to collapse it's nice to have something newer to dive on. I agree with others that artificial wrecks aren't as interesting, it's not just the wreck but the history and story of the sinking, but I suppose the alternative to an artificial wreck isn't something we should be wishing for.

Anyway it beats some nutter driving a Suzuki SJ410 down to the bottom of the slip at Argyll Caravan Park, securing a couple of barrels to the side, dragging it out into the bay and sinking it, fuel, engine oil, diff oil etc still in place. What a mess that idiot made of the bay (to attract dive tourist). I was about that day, I should have sent him a bill for the cleanup of my dive kit, boat etc. Then phoned SEPA.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I think it's a good idea. As the SOM wrecks start to collapse it's nice to have something newer to dive on. I agree with others that artificial wrecks aren't as interesting, it's not just the wreck but the history and story of the sinking, but I suppose the alternative to an artificial wreck isn't something we should be wishing for.

Anyway it beats some nutter driving a Suzuki SJ410 down to the bottom of the slip at Argyll Caravan Park, securing a couple of barrels to the side, dragging it out into the bay and sinking it, fuel, engine oil, diff oil etc still in place. What a mess that idiot made of the bay (to attract dive tourist). I was about that day, I should have sent him a bill for the cleanup of my dive kit, boat etc. Then phoned SEPA.
Aye, there's a lot of inconsiderate dumping as stuff to attract divers. You only have to visit Kenmore point (well, you can't now) to see all the fridges and cookers etc. the householders there couldn't be arsed disposing of properly ;-)

Allegedly there's also a 'reef' of failed cylinders in Loch Long left there by a dive shop.

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well anyway, back to the topic in hand......
I think it is a good idea to try and locate a new wreck in the area and will be supporting the attempts to make this happen.
C

1 - 20 of 29 Posts