YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

First off the bat a big thanks to all who came up. You made my life as easy as it can be made, except the lazy folk who decided to have a wee lie in on the Monday morning(The guilty party knows who they are:D). A sorry to the poeple who I had to KB due to numbers. I know who you are and if I havn't contacted you yet I will do in the next couple of days.

Friday started with meets'n'greets with a couple of beers and a certain amount of Tequila consumed by an individual who shall remain forever nameless. We shall henceforth know him only as Mr K. Skip straight to Saturday morning;

Saturday.
The first dive was somewhere near the Shuna (aka fuc*ed at 30mtrs on Tequila). I was diving with Tony P and we were descending the line and I turned round to check him and when I turned back round someone had hidden the line as a practical joke. That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it anyway. Ended up on the seabed for a minute(29.8mtrs TDT 11mins), decided we weren't going to find the wreck, so up with the DSMB and back on the boat. This was not a good start for a guy who had came all the way over from Sacramento. After a surface interval of a whole 6mins we went back down but agreed just to stay on the shallow deck level of the wreck due to the previous bounce. Nice enough dive though as usual the viz was a "poor" 5mtrs(26.1mtrs TDT 22mins).

Off into Tobermory for lunch where Mr K fell asleep in the bar without consuming any ales. This is a first! Had a bite to eat and back out to the Hispania for 2.30pm. I, sorry I mean Mr K, decided to blow this dive off as sleep was more inviting and he had just done a couple of bounce dives so it might have  tempted fate. Everyone else has said this was one of the best dives of the weekend(as the Hispania normally is) and he began to wish he'd done it. Off back to Lochaline for a clean-up and dinner.

Dinner was had in the new Bistro resturant. I should have booked this on the Friday as soon as I got up, but thought it would be alright to book on the Saturday. They had ran out of some of the limited selection of food but it was good enough, if the portions were a little small and the price was a little high. A couple of "quiet" beers and off to bed.

Sunday.
After a fitfull nights sleep due to Parahandys snoring(Ships were running aground at the other side of the Sound thinking it was a fog horn) Mr K got up feeling a lot better and with some colour in his cheeks and it was off to the first dive of the day, the Thesis. I have dived this wreck more often than I can be bothered trying to remember and have never seen so much life on her. Shoals of Pollack and Mackeral in every hold and all round about her. Conger Eel under one of the bow ribs. Quite a few biggish Ballan wrasse with Male and Female Cuckoo Wrasse darting about as well. The Bow plates have been removed for the steel so this lets the current get right down inside the wreck which has led to nearly every structure having a thick coating of soft corals. We went from the Bow, right through her holds and broken bulkheads, to come out of the final stern hold. I had a quick look under the stern and this is the only bit of the dive I was disapointed with. It sweeps away up over your head and used to be covered in corals but one of these Scallop dredgers had been past and kicked up all the silt. This seemed to have killed all the life. Bas*ards! It used to be one of the best bits as well. Great dive though and Tony P seemed thouragly happy.(31.6mtrs TDT34mins) Back into Lochaline for lunch and a Bambi-burger)

After lunch we had a short ride out to a Scallop hunt. We all picked up a few, but Nick takes 1st prize. This is only because his goody-bag is bigger the mine though
I had started to pull out the DSMB only to realise I hadn't rewound it back in neatly after the Shuna, so it was birds-nested, we did a blue water ascent over the top of Edwards bubbles looking above for the boat and below for Edwards SMB coming screaming up.(30.5mtrs TDT32mins)I'm sure someone will upload a piccie of the overfull box we had. This is when we had to wave goodbye to Tony P and Mark D. They seemed to have had fun anyway. YD has now officially gone inter-continental!

The 3rd dive of the day was a wreck I've never done. It's strange because there is two wrecks with one sitting on top of the other. The Ballista is the one on top, it went down salvaging the Alexandra, the one on bottom. Due to the kep forest it was hard to tell where the wrecks ended and the kelp began. It might be more interesting round about November when the kelp is away. Most of us drifted off that and drifted onto somewhere where, quite frankly, we shouldn't have been. The HMS Dartmouth is a highly protected archeological wreck. It was just hard to see exactly where you were due to the Kelp. Had a bumble about that looking at cannons and the big stone anchor, but I'm glad to say no-one tried to lift anything.(13.4mtrs TDT65mins). It was interesting in as much as very few people will have the Dartmouth in their books and I've learned to only do the Ballista when the Kelp isn't about.

Back into LA and after a shower and change Nick cooked up the Scallops and everyone seemed to enjoy them thoraghly. I was a little jelous as I'm a seafoodtarian. A couple of beers later, with Mr K showing quite remarkable self dicipline and only having 1 Tequila, it was off to bed.

Monday.
Up early at the pier(well most of us anyway) and off to another new dive for me, Risga Pinnacle. It was a pretty scenic dive with everything covered in beds of Plumnose Anenomies. Not a great deal of fishlife, although there was the obligitory Ballan wrasse nosing about. I took a few happy snaps and came up off the DSMB which had been properly rewound this time.(27.2mtrs TDT54mins)

Into Tobermory for lunch again and off for the next dive.

The Torr Vane was a new one to me as well. It went down 4-5months ago just before it was due to be decommisioned. As the skipper said "It's amazing how many fishing boats go down just before they get decommisiond and all the crew get picked up safely". It had the biggest shoal of fish(I don't know what they are) I have ever seen swimming round the trawl masts. A great sight to sit and look up at. I think this will be a great dive after another year when more life has had a chance to bed in on her. After a bumble about the wreck it was time to go up.(29.5mtrs TDT50mins)

And that was it really!!!

A good weekend was, a far as I know, had by all. Gav managed to break his jinx, Tony P has something to make his US buddies jealous of and, more importantly, we all got home safe and sound.

Overall there was very little to be disappointed with. I had really wated to get out to Coll, Tiree and Bo-Fascadale but it never happened. The weather held out on us with only a couple of short lived downpours. There's also a couple of small things I would do differtently to make my life a bit easier. One would be to just charge the air-fills on the original costings as it's less to run about doing when you just want to start getting home.

There is another one already in the making for later this year so watch this space and Myself, Tony K and Gav discussed some options for next year that are a bit further out the way.

Peter

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Nice one Peter, another top Mull gig. Can't make the next one, but sign me up for early next year. I'll probably not get to dive with you again (Bend, Anthrax, Red Flag, whatever) but I'm looking forward to the drunken 1AM blethering.  Not that I was last time of course.

The diving around Mull- for those who haven't had the pleasure yet- is superb, particularly in the off season when all that's available to us southern types is Stoney (shudder). The scenery is staggering, the people great, the craic mighty.

Two Mull trips, two success stories, two lots of highly delighted divers. Need I say more?  E-mail www.EasyKelly.  Oh yes, girls. He is.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hi Dundee,
                I'm actually looking at Knoydart or the Moray Firth for Spring, but yer mair than welcome anyhoo, I'll let you know beforehand.

Peter
PS-Piss off and take your brother with you, you're not used to freshly cooked food ;8))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts