YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I feel the urge to submerge over the next few weekends
and find that Inland sites have slowly lost their appeal over the winter. Do any regular south coast divers have any news or views about what's happening and who's going out, ideally between Eastbourne and Wittering.

Thanks all.

Kevin

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kevin
I believe Wittering Divers do weekend/daily dives and make up boats with the odd [1] divers who just give them a call a few days before hand.
[1] Odd not as in weird! but occasional. I called them a few weeks ago, Sean advised me of their dive and it all seemed nicely laid back, unfortunately it was canned but thats just the way it goes.

Matt

·
Registered
154 Posts
Imported post

hi rob here,if diving over to swanage or poole,weymouth area give me a buzz,07890 293781,and leave me a mobile num on the voicemail,and i will text u when ok 2 dive

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Kevin.
I will be diving from Selsea with Diveeclipse on Wed 26th, max depth 22mtrs and with Channeldiving from Brighton on Wed 2nd, max depth 34mtrs
Spaces on both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the input guys.

I have called Wittering Divers and with me and my buddy (sounds like a song in there somewhere) they have enough interest to get out on Sat 29th they also have some "Odd" spaces over the next few weekends. It's a bit early to tell but the weather looks encouraging and viz could be good if conditions hold (well upwards of 2m). Depending on conditions on the day, could be the "Gascony" and a drift.

Robert - Swanage to Weymouth is really just a bit too far west for me to do in one day. It's a good three hour drive each way, I have to draw the line somewhere. Thanks for the offer though.

Diving Dude (Howard I think, hope I'm not confused) - Thanks for the invite, would love to join you for some midweek stuff but not sure that I have the holiday at the moment. My employers just don't understand the needs of a diver!! If I'm able to make Wed 2nd, I could well be buddyless - any idea what the score would be on that front?

Cheers

Kevin

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Kev,

Quick update from the weekend just past.  Babbacombe had the waves crashing in as did Oddicombe (Also Oil pollution -  
)

Meadfoot was also a non starter.  Finally settled on Brixham,  bit of surf but nothing major.  Lovely day, vis 4m to 5m.  Big old seal buzzed the coast,   would love to tell you more about him, but muggings here was sat on the bottom for 20 minutes holding the bottom of the SMB line so students could do ascent on lines etc...

Fortunately they all told me about him when I surfaced...

Daz

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Daz,  are you a Devonian too??? Thought you were Bristol way...

Interested yo hear that Brixham had 4-5m.  I looked out of the window on Friday and reckoned that Meadfoot etc would be blown out, so did my local, Teignmouth.  Almost had a metre in some places! Still, good to get wet.  Let me know if you're diving round here soon - I'm up for diving most days.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

Wittering Divers

Dive Eclipse

Try these two sites their both good, and will call the dive or offer another location if Vis is bad, Not many outfits do that..

Ive dived with both for over a year now and not heard one bad thing...  We are out with Eclipse this weekend..

Sean

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Rob -

Thanks for the message, I've tried to PM you back but having probs. I live in Suffolk and have to plan south coast dives well in advance, Exmouth would be a good 3-4 hour drive for me and I can't make an overnighter Easter weekend. I usually manage to dive around the Littlehampton area as that is only a 2 hour drive and therefore do-able in a day. If you're ever in that neck of the woods and can dive weekends, let me know. Mobile 07876798617. I am on the Swanage gig 24th May diving Sat only. You on that one?

Kevin

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Kev.
Another good boat is Defiant out of Litlehampton

http://www.divevoyager.co.uk

He has some spaces for individuals on weekends.

After my daughter's (Rebecca, also on this forum) wedding on 25th April I will be available to dive weekends.

We can talk about this on the Swanage gig.

You say your only diving the Sat, why is that? can you do the friday before, I am thinking of diving Lyme Regis or Weymouth, either a couple of days before the swanage weekend or after.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Howard

I am on an IDC begining 7th July and have decided to pack as many diving dates in before them as well as assisting in various training sessions. As a result, my wife who is a non diver will not be seeing much of me at weekends for the next month or so. She is coming to Swanage and as I really want to do the Aeolean Sky, I said I would dive Saturday and spend Sunday doing some of her things. It's only fair. Unfortunately, I can't get away Friday until late afternoon.

I usually manage a food few weekends from Littlehampton, diving with Sean Copper on the RIB Copperhead II - good boat and first class skipper. He's usually next to Voyager and Deep Space Nine (I think) on the jetty. In fact if you are interested in a day out on Wed 4th June, a few of us will be down probably doing the Basil, the Iron Ore (fish soup) and a drift - if you're interested let me know and I will check space.

By the way, I'm going with Wittering Divers on Saturday (conditions being OK) to dive Mixon Hole and a drift.

Take care

Kevin

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Kevin.
Re next wed 2nd, still space on the boat and you could make up a buddy three or if my daughters coming, you could buudy my mate.
The plan is to dive the  TR Thompson 34mtrs, we will be using 34% and no deco.
http://www.channeldiving.com

Would there be two spaces on your gig on the 4th of June if so, we would be interested.
Are you doing three dives on that day?

Dived with Diveeclipse from east beach Selsea, just arround the corner from Whittering divers, sea calm, saunshine and 5/6 mts vis, brill for this area and time of year, so looking good for the weekend.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Don't forget Eastbourne and Brighton of course...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~indigo/

http://www.taurusdiving.fsnet.co.uk/home.html

and obviously Steve at http://www.channeldiving.com/home.html

They've all got a pretty flexible attitude towards filling spaces, if you can manage midweek dives (wish I could) you're laughing. Steve's been known to take the boat out with 4 on board.  What a day that was:)  How's Copperhead II nowadays?  First dived with him a few years ago when he was still a bit green, hopefully he's better at shotting the wrecks nowadays.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Howard

I have a few deadlines that need to be made at work, if I'm all clear by Monday I will check the availability for Wed 2nd and let you know. Is it just the one dive?. The plan on 4th June is definitely to do the three dives, hopefully starting with the Basil around 7.30-8am - it's a long day. I know there was space at the beginning of the week, I will check on Sunday and post on Monday.

Rob

Thanks for the info - will keep it in mind although mid week is usually a pain for me as it eats holiday allowance. I have used Copperhead II for two seasons now and found Sean to be fine. I don't recall him missing a shot, he must have practiced since you dived with him!!

Take care

Kevin

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kev
if you can only dive the Saturday, it could work out well, I tend to dive Sunday only. So if there are any two day trips we could share the dive, that way we both get a dive day and dont have to miss out. Dont want to make this heavy or anything, just thinking that if you find a dive you want to go on but they only want a two dayer we could try and share if it suited.
Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Howard

Sorry taht I didn't get back sooner but the guy arranging the 4th June trip is out in Egypt and not due back for another week yet. As soon as I can check availibility, I will let you know.

Kevin

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hi M8

Check out our club at

www.pilotdivers.com

We print up a dive list of booked dives and any one who can operate an SMB is welcome. Singles are not a problem we will always find a buddy if you need one.

April and May are a bit sketchey as we have two week long trips planned but we will be filling in the blank W/ends as soon as we get back from Gozo (next week)

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 18 of 18 Posts