YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I noticed we have a thriving community of Southerners! I am West London based and looking for

(1) a good outfit and tech buddies to dive with nearby: Littlehampton, Selsey, etc (I'll stretch up to Portland) with a boat equipped with a good ladder or lift (twinset). To start with air/Nitrox bottom gas, eventually progressing to Nitrox deco etc. I noticed the "South Coast Dives" thread from May/June on the Buddy board.

(2) an A++ tech instructor (regardless of agency) to do my Nitrox advanced and deco procedures, again near London.

My own profile: 110 dives, recent move to twinset. Finishing PADI DM + CMAS***, always looking to learn from more experienced divers!

I'd be interested to team up with other YD'ers from Jan 2004 onward.

Cheers,
Frogkick

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Dive69 (Ewell) run boats out of Littlehampton, diving for all levels.

The boats can be seen on: http://www.wannadive.co.uk/

I trained with Jack Ingle and thought he was excellent. He also runs regular tech trips from Littlehampton.

His website is: http://www.deepwreckdiver.co.uk/

I regularly use the boats for trimix/air with accel deco dives.

If you want to chat further or know anything else, PM me with your number.

Juz

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Many thanks for the info and links Juz. I take it you went BSAC advanced Nitrox then Deco? I've had a quick look but I need to read up in detail. I am currently in "info collecting" mode and I've had a good response so far. Hopefully some time this weekend I'll sit down and think through the various options available to me. For some reason (actually I'm sure it's for the right reasons: more experience for me and more $$ for the agencies) I need to go through, Advanced Nitrox, then Deco procedures, then extended range to be able to do a long deep dive on air and then use high EAN% for deco. I fully subscribe to the need to build up experience, but the courses seem to include a fair amount of overlap. So I guess I'm weighing the pros/cons of going the TDI, IANTD (adv Nitrox, Deco, extended range), or PADI DSAT Tec, or GUE/DIR-F etc etc. I am certain 90% of the value from a course depends on the quality of instructor, and the remaining from the course structure. There are some fundamental differences e.g. max O2 % advocated by the various agencies, and more or less emphasis on skills. I would appreciate more feedback from those who've been confronted with the same choices and why they chose a specific agency/instructor.

Regards,
Frogkick

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Not at all, I was PADI trained, then did the PADI Nitrox course.

I then spent 3 years gaining experience including deco diving.

I was then able (due to my skill set) to run through TDI ERD and TDI Normoxic trimix in one go. I do stress that this was because my skill set was already upto Deco diving.

Juz

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I didn't know that was an option, but it also makes sense. I'll add that to the list of options, i.e continue diving EAN21-40 with my twinset for a season or two and acquire further experience as I go. That can't do any harm.

Ultimately my goal remains the same: wrecks in the 55-75m range for which air is out of the question. Question is: how best to get to that point safely/efficiently and hopefully in the not too distant future (I am turning 40 next month, and although I am fit, I can't garantee that I'll still be in a position to cart around 50+Kg of kit on my back when I'm 50 - I take my hat off to all the 50+ tech divers out there, and hope to be able to do the same..)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Frogkick

It is becoming universally recognised that 'deep air diving' is a big no no and has probably been responsible for more deaths and incidents than anything else in diving, reading your post you appear to be making some good decisions on the way you want to progress into the tech arena but I would strongly urge you not to dive deep on air but aim to be taking your 'Entry Level Trimix' sometime after your 'Deco Procedures' and not 'Extended Range'

If the sh*t hits the fan and you're deep on air you may regret it in a big way.....  

Best Regards
Dave.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hi M8

Paul R Marks is you man
 He did my TDI Trimix and Deco Procedures and he is likely candidate for my CCR course. First rate instructor and all round nice bloke

Paul R Marks 07860 239332

www.aquanaut.org.uk

As for diving look out for Defiant out of Little Hampton for the deep tech stuff he has the best boat in the SE. For low cost fun I would look at Dive Eclipse out of Selsea.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Dave I'm 110% with you on that one. I have a bit of a dilemma, as some of the deepish wrecks I dive or hope to dive are also abroad in the Med and unfortunately the local dive operations are probably a good 20 years behind the UK and only just beginning to introduce "vanilla" Nitrox. So the choices in those circumstances are: no dive, or dive deepish on air. I have for the past few years self disciplined myself to a max 54/55m on air which is within safe PPO2 and acceptable levels of narcosis. My motivation in progressing towards tech diving is to (1) deco on O2 - I can hopefully get the LDSs there to conjure up a 50-100 O2 fill and eventually move to normoxic trimix 18/40 using homebrewed mixes, to get to the 65-70m range. None of that is ideal, I know, but it's a question of safely expanding that envelope!

Others have mentioned that I'm wasting my time pursuing a traditional nitrox/deco/trimix route and that I should switch now to rebreather training, delivering ideal ppo2 etc. Problem with that is that I would still be the only twat so equiped and my dives would basically be solo tech dives (erm.. maybe not).

So in short, I need to train in the UK for stuff that can also be relevant to dives abroad. I haven't cracked that one yet, although there maybe a tiny chance that normoxic trimix may be adopted down there over the next 3-4 years, so currently my inclination is the Trimix route, but I'd love to debate that point some more!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Mark thanks for the info. our posts crossed! I'll get in touch with Paul to get some info.

Do you know if there's been a thread on the merits of the two paths available for tech diving, namely nitrox/advanced/deco/norm trimix/trimix or CCR? Most people seem to treat CCR as the end game after having done all the other stuff. Is there any value in going straight to CCR and having that piece of kit do the ppO2 work for you?

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

On the subject of training rout's,

Air below 40 for me is a waste of a dive. I have done air dives (much deeper than 40) but in truth it was more about logging the depth than doing the dive. Now I dive the dive and get the right gas to do the job safely and enjoyably. 50-60 on air is IMHO very taxing but 50 or 60 on Mix is just a dive and you don’t notice the depth.

Most economical rout to Mix diving is TDI Advanced Nitrox, Deco Procedures and Entry Level Trimix. That will get you to 70m. If you want deeper then finish off with Advanced Trimix. There aren’t that many wrecks in the south that are beyond 65m so it could be a waste of time just for the occasional 80 or 90m dive

If you like you can send me your details and I will put you on the list of contacts for next year.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Got to agree with Mark, Paul is a sound bloke, did my training with Joe Davin who I thought was pretty good. Andy hayhurst seems sound also, but the last two are a bit of a distance from you.

As for diving, as Mark said send him your details, there will be dives next year. There will be an early April trip to Swanage, and I have a feeling that a fair number of trips will be organised through Dover next year. Particually if a nice bloke who happens to have bought a new boat / business can be persuaded to do some decent wrecks.

Also I have a cunning plan for a long weekend in Brighton, details of this will be going up on this site soon.

This is for all those Northeners who recon they are hard and can handle diving in the Channel. (A2Tanx and Bren who mentioned this a while ago).

Andrew

Andrew

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (frogkick @ Nov. 19 2003,16:07)]Do you know if there's been a thread on the merits of the two paths available for tech diving, namely nitrox/advanced/deco/norm trimix/trimix or CCR? Most people seem to treat CCR as the end game after having done all the other stuff. Is there any value in going straight to CCR and having that piece of kit do the ppO2 work for you?
I don’t think CCR is the end game, I think it is a path to diving that suits some but not others. IF you can get your head around the safety issues and are confident in your self-discipline then CCR has to be the way to go. You have to dive a lot to justify the expense and have to be willing to accept the big hassle of travelling abroad with the unit.

If you’re into Nitrox depths then the unit can max bottom time and minimise dive cost but more importantly if you’re into trimix depths you can save bundles on gas and have a massive safety margin on available breathing gas at depth.

CCR is not that much more expensive than serious Trimix diving. I have two twin sets and four stage bottles and I have two more 12ltr tins to cover me for Nitrox divers. Even with this much kit I still end up with unsuitable gas in my sets for the next dive. I have £42 worth of 18/35 in one set for the last 8 weeks waiting for a deserving dive to go ahead. At the moment all my planned dives are too shallow for this mix. If I want to go deeper than 65m and do the run times to justify the cost o the dive I am looking at twin 15s as a next step with two 10ltr stages.

Either that or a CCR

Pete is a serious Mix diver and he has four twin sets including two sets of twin 15's and 8 10ltr and 7ltr stage bottles.

The BIG down side of CCRs as an end game is by the time you realise you have to have one you are well into diving probably with trimix and have spent a shed load of cash already. Then you have to spend a shed load more and give up your beloved 50+m diving for a year whilst you learn to dive all over again on the CCR.

Role on the PADI OW CCR course

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 14 of 14 Posts