YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took the club ribs out and launched from S/shields in blazing sunshine and a pleasant sea.Motored down about 10 miles to a wreck that Ron Young gave us which was sitting in 50m of water.Down we go to 25m in good viz then lights go out, torches come on and its still very dark from here with only 2-3m of viz.Shot had just come off the the wreck,but no prob following debris to reach the wreck.First thing we notice it was like a spiders web with fishing line all over the place,then a trawler net and then another.This gets the old ticker going so we take it nice and steady as we have no idea what we are diving.Managed a pleasant 36mins dive followed by a 14mins ascent,not all our group were that lucky with dodgy kit,ears navigating.
From here back up to S/Shields and a quick dive on the Oslo/Chandris in 15m of water and about 2m of viz.Wind had now started to pick up so it was a good time to get out.
Will definately go back and hope for a bit better viz next time.
cheers
Mark

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
You lucky barsteward, you had THAT MUCH VIZ on the Oslo? :teeth:

Hope it is better for you next time. Now you know why we Tyne lot go up North to the Farnes or Abbs...

Hxxxx

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for organising yesterday. It was a pity I had to abort my dive, so didn't actually hit the wreck.

Was good to get out on the RIBs again, although it was not the most comfortable place to be sat in twins & stage cylinder.

Would definitley like a return trip at some point when the viz improves.

Richard

·
Registered
249 Posts
Which day did the dives take place.
I was diving the Oslo on Wednesday and noticed two ribs arriving just as I was jumping in. Curious to know if it was you. Viz was crap loads of sediment in the water.
Thats the beauty of diving between two river.

Stu

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which day did the dives take place.
I was diving the Oslo on Wednesday and noticed two ribs arriving just as I was jumping in. Curious to know if it was you. Viz was crap loads of sediment in the water.
Thats the beauty of diving between two river.

Stu
No not us.
We were there yesterday.
cheers
Mark

·
Registered
480 Posts
You lucky barsteward, you had THAT MUCH VIZ on the Oslo? :teeth:
I've had some cracking dives on the Oslofjord in years past. There was one season in the early 90s, which has yet to be repeated, where we were getting 10m+ on the wreck. On occassions you could look up from the seabed & see the boats on the surface.

I haven't dived the site for a number of years, and I suspect it's a shadow of its former self.

Richard

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I've had some cracking dives on the Oslofjord in years past. There was one season in the early 90s, which has yet to be repeated, where we were getting 10m+ on the wreck. On occassions you could look up from the seabed & see the boats on the surface.

I haven't dived the site for a number of years, and I suspect it's a shadow of its former self.

Richard

Despite living in South Shields I have only dived the Oslo/eugenia Chandris a few times, something I aim to rectify with some evening dives this summer. I had some decent viz on it last summer - like StuP says it's dependent on washout from the rivers as to how much sediment we get in the water. It's pretty flattened though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts