YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is possibly too early for people to comment but I've been looking with interest at the recent reviews of the Olympus SP-550 UZ and would be interested to find out whether anyone has, or is planning to get, this camera and what they think of it.

Considering I've only recently got hold of the C-5050 and underwater housing, I'm not really planning on upgrading any time soon (haven't even taken the 5050 on any dives). Always one to plan ahead though, the combination of 1 cm macro and 18x optical zoom makes me think this might be a good option for me in the years to come, should I not want to go the DSLR route.

My interests in photography focus on wildlife, from macro shots of flowers and insects to ideally, birds, mammals etc. Hence why I think the huge optical zoom range on this camera would be ideal, without having to worry about lugging around a big SLR and multiple lenses (a consideration as I would like to take it on holiday). The fact that this camera has an optional housing due out very soon would also make it very versatile in my book.

Still, I'd be interested in other peoples' views. :cat:

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Amateur Photographer reviewed it on the 28th April issue and gave it 77% which isn't brilliant. I have a copy of the magazine if you're interested in it.

I have the Olympus SP350 with housing and love that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes please. I'd be very interested in reading the article. I do read the ones on DPreview but to be honest, it is very difficult to get a good view of how the camera would actully perform for the conditions that I would use it in with just the test cards that they use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts