YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 1 space available this coming weekend - 12th/13th May - on Topgun for:

Saturday 12th May: Iolanthe (40m) - 12:00pm. £30
Sunday 13th May: Salsette (45m) - 12:30pm. £40

I also have a space booked at a campsite available (£6).

The weather forecast might improve!

Drop me a PM if interested.

Cheers,
dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
Looks like me and Sixsquid will be waving at you going out as we are coming in eh? Catch you for a swift drink later maybe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not looking at the forecast :(

But yes, if we are down then that'll be cool. We'll probably have a BBQ at the campsite in the evening, which you're both welcome at. Sixie has the info of where we'll be (Sea Barn Farm, in Fleet).

Hopefully see you guys at the weekend,
dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Hi,

Good luck with shifting the space - booked on the dives myself.

Looking at the SW 5-6 forecast I very much doubt it will go ahead??.....

Just hope they actually make a decision early (instead of 1 hr before the dive when I was last down there:angry: ).....then maybe I can avoid a wasted journey!:) :)

I'll say hello on the boat if it happens.....:)

Roy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 hour before is no good to me, not with a 3 hour drive! I will be calling them tomorrow and getting a descision.

If it goes ahead, I'll be the little fellah, black and red drysuit, being seasick...

dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
1 hour before is no good to me, not with a 3 hour drive! I will be calling them tomorrow and getting a descision.

If it goes ahead, I'll be the little fellah, black and red drysuit, being seasick...

dan
Dan,

If you manage to get a decision from them, please post it - I have a 2hr drive also.:)

For some reason they like to make the decision in the morning:angry: , which is no good for most people....I mean if the Friday 5pm shipping forecast says 5-6 SW, how hard can it be??....:) :)


ATB

Roy
 

·
Very Senior Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Dan,

If you manage to get a decision from them, please post it - I have a 2hr drive also.:)

For some reason they like to make the decision in the morning:angry: , which is no good for most people....I mean if the Friday 5pm shipping forecast says 5-6 SW, how hard can it be??....:) :)


ATB

Roy

Several reasons all IMVHO

First the shipping forecast is a 17:20 Radio 4 altough to be fair it is often on the internet at 17:05

Second, because the forecast is so often wrong

Third, its not just about wind - latent sea state is a issue amongst others

Third, because most boat operators reserve the right to offer a alternative site which a lot of divers take up

Fourth, in your example of F5-6 SW there are several sites locally that would still be divable

Fifth, Divers have very very differing opinions on whats divable!

Sixth, We may have divers booked on 4 dives over 2 days. One of these dives my have to be cancelled but the other three can go ahead.....Wht do we do then?

Seventh, all to often the forecast is marginal, decisions are easy when its a F10 or a F1 to 2. Its the F5 forecasts that are problem. With the right boat, the right people, wind direction, swell etc you can still have a great day out.

Cor.... the list goes on.... basically the skppers can never get it right! If we cancel early and the weathers ok we get a slating, if we cancel early there are always pople second guessing us a slating us because in their opinion we should have gone out. If we cancel late we get slated. And sometimes, just sometimes if we cancel late we get someone saying "shame, but thanks for trying"
Personnaly I have tried every approach to the problem and find that leaving the decision as late as possible gives me the least slating and the most chances of actually going diving........ which is what its all about

IMVHO
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top