YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the realistic chances of getting an entry slip for this competition? My Buddy and i fancy a go. My buddy being a far better photographer than me. I was just going to see how i got on as opposed to any serious intent on winning anything or any other such silly notion.
I know places are limited and having spoken with Billy of the "Alikai" he tells me it attracts some big guns with lots of expensive gear as opposed to me with my compact point and shoot jobbie.
Competition is apparently fierce and quite cut throat:frown:
Anyone any experience of this competition? Would i have to camp out overnight to get an entry ticket? and is there any place in the comp for a bumbling point, shoot and pray type amatuer or will i just embarrass myself?:)

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Daz
I am unable to answer your question but I can say all these ones with the dogs bollocks photography gear had to start somewhere and I imagine they started with a point, shoot and pray type of approach initially. So I say go for it, its all experience. Plus you might be able to pick up tips listening to them.

Yaz

(oooh just realised our names rhyme)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have entered various Splash-in competitions, although not this one. I do know that the judges aren't photograhers; they're the locals as I recall. This does give the novices a far greater chance of success. As with all of these things, anyone can have a lucky shot. Its just that the more you practise the 'luckier' you get.

I really wouldn't be intimidated by other peoples gear. You often find that there is little correlation between the cost of gear and ability of the photographer. A good eye for a photo will do far more than the most expensive gear.

Enter, have fun, and even if you do not win, lets hope you get some pictures that you like.

Daniel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.