YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>how is it possible to send emails to multiple addresses at a particular ISP. this seems to account for 90% of the spam i get. is it a program or what? and is it possible to block emails that are sent to multiple address (including your address) without blocking newsletter that you want to get.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi John
Not sure this is the answer to your question, but software is available that can send multiple emails (I guess for spamming and such like), so am sure anyone with a bit of time could get there hands on a list of emails and then just use those to spam to.  An example of this software is called 'Mass-email Express', and no have never used it or know how to use it!
HTH
Martin

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I dont want to use it, merely to understand how some of these people get my address. when I look at who it was sent to also, i notice that they all have the same ISP.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Much of the email flying round at the moment is due to a virus- this particular variant harvests email addresses from address books then spoofs the sender so that it looks like it's from someone totally different.

As for email addresses, when you post to a newsgroup or public board, there are programs that 'harvest' these addresses for use later.  You can also get email lists of several million addresses if you're that sad.

One of the best (and free) spam filtering programs out there is POPFile (popfile.sourceforge.net) which I run on our email server here. It catches over 99% of spam and you can then filter it into another account within you email program so you can run your eye down them and pick up any emails that have slipped into the spam folder that shouldn't have. I get about 75 spam messages per day, virtually all of which get caught by POPFile.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

John,

The email software provided by ISP's, it seems, is often a bit limited in functionality.

I use Hotmail for my email. I have turned strict email filtering on. This means all email that I recieve that doesn't come from somebody in my address book or my safe list (newsletters, etc) is put into junk email. Junk email is emptied every seven days automatically. It also filters out pictures which take up space and can be quite unpleasant !! depending on which spammers have got your address.

I scan my junk email every couple of days looking for "real" emails I might be interested in. I can then either setup contacts for them in my address book or add them to my safe list so that next time the emails will come straight to my Inbox.

The more you use Hotmail the less "real" emails go into the Junk email mailbox as you have all your contacts and safe list information up to date.

You can also write rules in Microsoft Outlook to put emails where you are not the only receipient into another folder. However, this is not quite as clever, for example you may recieve a joke from a friend that is sent to a number of people and this would be filtered out.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts