YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Came across this site in ' Inmersion '...a Spanish mag that I'm still having problems reading, but anyway. It's a wreck that sank in the 1920's, 100 metres long and is sleeping in a depth of 27 - 42 metres. If you fancy a cheap wreck diving holiday in San Jose... Spain, for 15 euros per night and ten dives for 180 euros check out this site..... www.isubsanjose.com

Scubadog

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I get this magazine but must have been half asleep as I can't remember this article- what month is from?
This summer I went to Cabo de Gata and did plenty of diving there but unfortunately not the wreck - I was furious as they only dived this site once a week and when I wanted to dive it was fully booked. I wrote a trip report here on YD.
The currents can be really nuisance - at one site I felt I was horizontal on the shot line and holding on so much I had blisters on my hand!
Want to go back and do this wreck, anyone else wants to dive here?
Cabo de Palos & Cabo de Gata report

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Hi Chris..

It's Novembers issue, there isn't an article on the wreck...but the club itself. Page 14...Isub San Jose.....Un centro " con marca "...I got the info from the web sites they listed.

Did anyone mention anything about licenses' for diving the Cabo de Gata...the club I dive with [ English ] were told they couldn't get one because, by Law theres no diving allowed there...which we know is nonsense.

Scubadog

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like a case of 'one rule for us locals, and bugger you foreigners!' to me  

If either of you do do the wreck, any chance of a report?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi
As for the licenses I don't know how it works but I'm sure it is a beurocratic nightmare. Although Cabo de Gatas is a national park there are areas within the park where it is 'absolutely no go' 'to 'don't go' then 'should no go' and Ok to to dive. Bassicaly there are different classifications of where you can dive or fish.
Now how the licenses are emited I have absolutely no idea but I can relate to the experience I have locally:

Last year when the Prestige sank my main dive site -The Cies Islands' were badly affected by the oil spill so this site was off limits to ourselves to dive for mearly 9 months. During this time the army or navy were cleaning the fuel off the beaches and rocks above and below the water line. Also during this time the beurocrats and the 'Sir Humphrey of Spain' decided to place new laws and this national park. Before the oil spill to dive here the club would send a fax with the name of divers together with qualifications, out we go and stop on the island for the national park guard to check out the papers and off we went  to dive - easy. Now with the new laws the club has to fill out a 8 page report saying also exactly where to dive, how long and the whole bloody life history for each diver. All this to protect a national park, well why they don't protect us from this rubbish floating oil tankers in the first place!!!

Because of all of this I have yet to dive the islands since the spill, it just saddens me that we as underwater obersvers are the most affected whilst there are  1001 people doing lot worse such as the day trippers who trow their rubbish about.

Bren, hope to go back to Cabo de Gata and dive this wreck so I'll let you know.

(At Cabo de Gata I dived with Alpha Bucea and a few week later I heard that they went out once with 13divers to come back with 12 and not realising they had lost one! The poor diver was picked up by a passing coast guard after spending 4 hours in the water. The Coast guard with a sense of humour called the center to speak to the lost diver and the center said that he went out to lunch! Apparently the center were given pure hell!) The moral of this story for me is always to take an SMB with you -even on holiday.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scubadog @ Dec. 02 2003,23:18)]Bren...why the sarcasym???
Hey Dog,

No sarcasm intended mate. Merely a comment on how 'locals' get cut deals and slack where others might be denied the opportunity to dive the wreck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts