YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>MY GOD sometimes humanity boils my pi$$.  There was a programme on BBC2 about these people who were campaigning AGAINST speed humps.  Are they too stupid to realise they slow traffic down, and therefore SAVE LIVES?

They claim car damage from going over the bumps.  SO GO SLOWER OVER THEM - duh.  Damage isnt proven anyway, people just like to blame something they dont like!

So what do they want?  The humps ripped up?  And the money to do that taken from where exactly?  And what to replace them effectivley ie slow people down just as well?

I know i dont drive, but that is hardly the point here.  Going 30mph on your avarage city journey adds 30 seconds to the journey time.  Is killing someone worth 30 seconds of your valuable time?

Rant over.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

We had speed bump installed across our estate and it was a complete waste of money. There i sno through road on our estate and no long roads to speed down. The money would have been better spent putting traffic lights on a really busy junction down the road, there has been more accidents there than on the entire estate.

So i can see why people would want them ripped up, i want the ones in my estate ripped up cos they are an unnecessary waste of effort and money. There is a place for everything.

Tim :p

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Go say that to the woman whos daughter was killed due to a driver going too fast.  Bet you never go 30mph in a 30.......35 wont hurt?  Wont hurt much cos you kill a huge percentage of the kids you kill.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Personally I hate them and I'll tell you why.

Fine, they stick them in a 30mph zone, but you have to slow down to 20mph to go over them without losing your teeth, suspension or exhaust.

Also they are a fricking knightmare when I have cylinders and other stuff in the boot,  have to slow down even more.

Not to mention the doddering gits who slow right down to 10mph to go over them.

And the fact that our local council seems to have put 8 speed bumps down a 1 mile road, and have spent the last year moving 3 of them to a different place 20 yards away (What a fine use of tax payers money!!)

And finally all the slowing down to 20mph and then speeding up to 30mph just increases the pollution produced by cars.

Stick them outside schools, expressly with the purpose of slowing cars down to 20mph or less, but why fricking stick them all over the place when the speed limits are 30mph.

RANT OVER

Daz

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

I never go past 30mph in a 30 zone because i once hit a 4 year old girl. It was her fault for running from between to park cars, but it still shit me up thinking i had killed her. So i can see the arguement from both sides

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Because people dont drive at 30mph in a 30 do they?
 If they did they wouldnt need speed bumps.  I was nearly run over in Heaton, Newcastle by a guy going about 60mph in a 30.  I just happened to be on a zebra crossing at the time.  But then he was probably late, and going the speed limit just is so uncool isnt it?

Just cos the limit is 30, doesent mean you have to drive at it.  The slower the better in my mind.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

The best ones are those ones that only cover the centre of each lane.  Just watch the vans, lorries and 4x4s whiz over them without having to slow down!

If you're going to have them, apply them to all forms of traffic, not just cars with narrow wheelbases.

Personally I love them, although I've almost hit the back of a few cars leaping my bike over them in Berko high street...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Imported post

Speed humps brilliant for getting it high,  and them daft things where they narrow the road only make you go faster as you try to beat the oncoming car to it!!!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 16 2004,20:26)]Because people dont drive at 30mph in a 30 do they?
 If they did they wouldnt need speed bumps.  I was nearly run over in Heaton, Newcastle by a guy going about 60mph in a 30.  I just happened to be on a zebra crossing at the time.  But then he was probably late, and going the speed limit just is so uncool isnt it?

Just cos the limit is 30, doesent mean you have to drive at it.  The slower the better in my mind.
This is just another example of using speed control methods in the wrong place.

For example if they limit the spped to 20mph,  then stick them in a place where 20mph is acceptable,  i.e outside schools.

Where I live, they have stuck them all the way down a road which has a footpath and wall down one side and is quite open on the other side.  No cars park on the road.  It is not the type of road where young children play and if they were, they would be very visible.

Sorry but I do not have a problem with speed controls used effectively, but I do see it as a waste of tax payers money when they stick them in certain places and then spend the next 12 months ripping them up and moving them 10 yards.

Daz

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Along the road where i used to work they put moveable ones to make sure they got them in the right place.  

What do you want instead?  One speed camera that everyone slows down for cos they know where it is, or the slowing of traffic over a large area with speed bumps and chicanes?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 16 2004,20:45)]Along the road where i used to work they put moveable ones to make sure they got them in the right place.  

What do you want instead?  One speed camera that everyone slows down for cos they know where it is, or the slowing of traffic over a large area with speed bumps and chicanes?
A method of traffic calming that actually works, does not cause additional pollution, does not cause congestion and does not cause the same number of deaths that it claims to save.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Maybe force parents to get their lazy little snotbags to walk to school instead of driving them the 1/2 mile?

I know the perfect thing.  Hows about a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel.  Suddenly everyone drives slowly.  Sorted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

For what it's worth, I think driving standards are dropping generally.

I work in Oban for one of, if not the, largest touring caravan parks in Scotland. Most days I come across someone towing a caravan who in truth shouldn't be pushing a wheelbarrow!

I also regularly drive from Oban down to Sheffield in my 23 foot campervan and it still amazes me at the way some people perform when they get behind a wheel. For instance, if I'm driving at the legal limit on a single carriageway road, why does the t**t behind me feel the need to overtake?(anybody who knows the road from here to Glasgow via Inverary will understand!)

Why do people overtake on solid white lines? If the Department of Transport think it's unsafe to do so, why does the average driving licence holder think it isn't?

Why am I regularly overtaken when doing 65mph by fully laden artic's on the M6 on flat stretches? If memory serves me correctly, heavy lorries newer than 1988 are legally limited to 56mph!

Why do people drive round with their fog lights on when there's no fog?

I could go on but it all comes back to my first sentence. And the problems will persist while ever the "powers that be" keep letting w*****s off with a warning. Zero tolerance has a lot going for it in my book!

Whoops, nearly forgot to mention my driving experience, well in excess of 1,000,000 miles, (yes that's 6 noughts!),mostly in a heavy artic, a clean licence for about 22 years and a very intense dislike of people who have but shouldn't have a driving licence!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 16 2004,20:07)]I know i dont drive, but that is hardly the point here.  Going 30mph on your avarage city journey adds 30 seconds to the journey time.  Is killing someone worth 30 seconds of your valuable time?
IIRC, ambulances and fire engines are equally slowed down. Slowed down coming to help you?

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>With their wide axles i think you find they can drive over the split bumps no problems.  In heaton where i lived the main problem was when people had parked up both sides of the street and the fire/ambulance etc met a bus coming the other way.

I still like my spike idea.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Aye and all that cos some prats like to go too fast and kill kids.  

Weigh all that stuff on the website against the one life a speed bump may save.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

As a point of interest, this recent study shows that those signs that light up when you approach them are highly effective at slowing cars down.

And with none of the resentment caused by speed cameras or damage or delay to emergency services of speed bumps.

Personally, I don't mind speed bumps per se - but the ones that you have to hit at 10mph in a 30mph limit really piss me off.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I think there must be a market for noisy tarmac.  Something that makes an annoying sound if you go over the limit but on or below is not a problem.  They tried it a while ago with painted lines up to roundabouts - as you got closer the lines got more frequent; giving two distinct slow down messages - 1 the noise got worse, and 2 your brain felt as though you were actually speeding up so you would apply the brake more.

I like the big spike in the middle of the steering wheel idea.  And remove drivers airbags and seatbelts from any car with over 100bhp/ton.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts