YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this but they're electronic with flashy lights and stuff so here it is:embarassed: . My snooper S4 went t*ts up a while back it was probably still under warranty but being a lazy bone idle bar-steward never got around to sending it back. I'm now in the market for a new one i know we shouldn't speed but lets face it we all creep over now and again:angel: Can anyone recommend a good one i have satnav built in but you can't upgrade it with cam locations:angry: so a separate doofer is required I've been looking at the snooper sapphire looks cool and it has a built in battery but not tried one or know anyone with one. In no way do i condone speed but sometimes it happens:angel:

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The satnav is a factory fitted one so it's not coming out as it has the phone and reverse cam built in

·
Member - that's what they tell me!
327 Posts
Try this site they have some info on the different units.
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
Don’t waste your money on a laser detector, by the time you have detected the laser it’s too late. You need a laser jammer for the mobile speed trap vans but you run the risk of being accused of perverting the course of justice if you get caught using one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Back to the original question! I have a road angel which I used to have a lot of faith in but recently seems to be missing a few sites in spite of regular updates so I have lost a bit of faith in it. The best thing about them is when they do the up down change it all around to the limit to catch you. If the warning goes [1km in my case] you have enough time to avoid the tax scam.

It may be an urban myth but I am told that a laser operated gate opening device, left switched on, confuses laser guns but I don't know.

Personally I would like a rocket system that flies down the beam and kills the bastards!

No I don't have any points, but I live in North Wales where the chief constable lectures us on minor matters of speeding and then sets up an illegal system for statements in court and is not even rebuked by the police authority. If dear old Gordon was serious about police intelligence to prevent terrorism he would tell the police to stop annoying the public!

David.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Back to the original question! I have a road angel which I used to have a lot of faith in but recently seems to be missing a few sites in spite of regular updates so I have lost a bit of faith in it. The best thing about them is when they do the up down change it all around to the limit to catch you. If the warning goes [1km in my case] you have enough time to avoid the tax scam.

It may be an urban myth but I am told that a laser operated gate opening device, left switched on, confuses laser guns but I don't know.

Personally I would like a rocket system that flies down the beam and kills the bastards!

No I don't have any points, but I live in North Wales where the chief constable lectures us on minor matters of speeding and then sets up an illegal system for statements in court and is not even rebuked by the police authority. If dear old Gordon was serious about police intelligence to prevent terrorism he would tell the police to stop annoying the public!

David.

Granted the Cheif Constable in North Wales does seem to have some strange ideas. Annoying the Public ????????????. Granted some minor speeding convictions would have been better dealt with by means of a warning but everyone knows what the speed limit is. Everyone has a speedometer as someone else has already pointed out.
The limits are set for a reason and that reason is to prevent death and injury but maybe they don't apply to certain people because it annoys them.
You can't pick and choose which laws you want to obey and which you want to disregard because they don't suit or cost you money in fines.
If you don't want the points and the fine don't do it in the first place.
Driving like many other things entails a social and moral responsibility.
Come back and tell me you find the Police annoying when you have had to tell someone their loved ones are maimed injured or even worse dead because someone decided it was OK to speed.
Right rant over

·
more posts than dives? book a boat asap
1,079 Posts
i have a road angel, doesnt seem to trgger accidentally like my snooper, i am very pleased with the database and i had the compact with removeable laser, the laser alarm does go off sometimes with no reason but icd rather have it than not it does give you a fair bit of notice

i have the compact by the way

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
And you can honestly say with hand on heart etc, that you have never EVER exceeded a speed limit? Not even a little? By accident?

Me, I know I have, and probably will do again, and will use all the tools at my disposal to mitigate the problems caused by perhaps a moments inatentiveness! I have also picked up a fair few bodies from road accidents and told more than my fair share of folks that their relatives are dead.

The remote mount detectors are pretty good, but as others have pointed out, a laser detector is of no use, all it will do is warn you that you are going to get a ticket. Various jammers are marketed a 'gate openers' to avoid risking the wrath of authority, most of them are designed solely for the purpose of jamming police laser. The good jammers warn you then shut down after a few seconds so you can get your speed down and the cop can then get a reading at your new lower speed so as not to arouse suspicion.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Look I'm not saying i have never exceeded the speed limit of course i have same as everyone else the difference is if you get caught you take the consequences as there is no argument.
As i said there are cases where minor indiscretions are more worthy of a warning. Unfortunatley cameras are a bit short on discretion whereas traffic cops are not. The answer is more Police Patrols that can make sound and sensible calls on wether someone deserves a ticket or not. So scrap the cameras and pay for more human enforcement is my opinion for what it's worth.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I know I sounded a bit extreme and I am also sure even if one was available I wouldn't fit a rocket launcher, but there is no real evidence that cameras are saving lives and the fact that the government canned the research as soon as it as it seemed that the opposite may have been the case infuriates me. The accident figures clearly show that child and motor cycle deaths are on the increase. Now laser guns taking head on pictures don't really worry a motorcyclist with no front numberplate and a dark visor. And I wonder if fewer children would be hit if either speed cameras were put into residential areas where they wouldn't make nearly so much money or perhaps people had there concentration outside the car! I have never advocated high speeds where it isn't safe but the current system isn't working if the stats are read seriously.

I am afraid I don't have a lot of faith in how the government and the police see themselves as accountable after the papers concerning Dunblane were sealed for 100 years. Being that worried must have meant there was both a major c*ck-up and a correspondingly large cover-up.

David.

·
more posts than dives? book a boat asap
1,079 Posts
Look I'm not saying i have never exceeded the speed limit of course i have same as everyone else the difference is if you get caught you take the consequences as there is no argument.
As i said there are cases where minor indiscretions are more worthy of a warning. Unfortunatley cameras are a bit short on discretion whereas traffic cops are not. The answer is more Police Patrols that can make sound and sensible calls on wether someone deserves a ticket or not. So scrap the cameras and pay for more human enforcement is my opinion for what it's worth.

yes but thats the point people are making there area disproportionate ammount of traffic police to beat bobbies anyway, the generaql feeling with people i know around here is that those resources could be used better eleswhere drug related crime is massive around here the opinion seems to be if you want to buy/sell drugs or steal to support a habit tehn you are fine but exceed the speed limits and you will feel the full extent of the law, which i know may be dangerous andc have implications but so does buying and selling drugs and no one seems to be doing anything about that

·
Registered
679 Posts
There are actually fewer Traffic Police Officers than was once the case. Look on the Motorways how often do you see them? Motorway stuff is usually managed by a civilian agency albiet they can not enforce the law they drive around in vehicles that look suspiciously similar to Police Vehicles. Speed cameras are used to enforce the law.
The point i make is that dehumanising enforcement is silly because as i said a camera can not view things objectively and deal with infringements in an objective manner it just gets peoples backs up and makes usually decent tolerant people hate the enforcement agency namely the Police.
Most Coppers have no interest in nailing decent people for trivial infringements. You are more likely to get a warning providing you did nothing really stupid/dangerous and you show some courtesy toward the Officer who deals with you the cameras on the other hand............

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
And detectors provide that little bit of discretion. They warn you that you are near a camera, you check your speed and find you are over the limit and sensibly moderate your speed. As opposed to going over the limit, and depending on the camera type, not even knowing about it ie 'SPECS', so you continue speeding on your merry way. Where is the sense, or safety in that?

·
Registered
679 Posts
yes but thats the point people are making there area disproportionate ammount of traffic police to beat bobbies anyway, the generaql feeling with people i know around here is that those resources could be used better eleswhere drug related crime is massive around here the opinion seems to be if you want to buy/sell drugs or steal to support a habit tehn you are fine but exceed the speed limits and you will feel the full extent of the law, which i know may be dangerous andc have implications but so does buying and selling drugs and no one seems to be doing anything about that
There are not enough Police full stop. It would help greatly if the bureaucratic monster of form filling in and target chasing were abolished and the Police could stop drowning in self perpetuating paperwork and actually Police the streets.
We all want to be out there doing what you want us to do namely catching criminals and making our streets safe places for us all. We live on the same streets and in the same towns as you. Yes we too are fed up with the current state of affairs but as individuals we do what we can within the constraints placed upon us. We could work 24 Hours a day and still have work to do.
The whole thing needs sorting out starting from the highest level in government.
Policing is always a political issue and it should not be whatever happened to "Policing the people with the consent of the people."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.