YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new to Scuba with my open water booked for later this month. I am looking at kit and have see single, double and triple SPG's for sale on sites such as ebay and was wondering, can any SPG connect to any first stage?
Thanks
Joh

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
Yes, any SPG will work with any first stage, the first stage fitting is a standard size. The hoses can be slightly different though so try to buy the SPG and hose together (It's not actually the hose but the swivel fitting at the end).

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
The double or triple consoles you see may appear ot be a good idea at first but do yourself a favour and go with just a basic single gauge SPG on the hose and then have your other instruments like computer, compass on your wrist. You'll thank me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, there is so many types, makes and different flavours of kit out there its good to get advice from people like yourselvez who have the experience.
Was looking at dive computers but again so many types and makes, some that do only air, others that only nitrox, but was looking at ones that do both, that would then do if carry on to enriched air, deep water courses, what are the recommended computers to look at.
And what are good makes of kit out there as thought Mares were a good make but looking at some regulator kits on places such as ebay and nobody seems to be buying them, with Scubapro and Apeks seeming to be the popular ones people are buying.
As already mentioned am new to this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
Buy Apeks ATX40/DS4 regulators and a Suunto Zoop computer, both fine for 90% of divers. The Apeks regs should be fine for pretty much whatever diving you do (Even if you progress into depe/long dives) and the Zoop will be fine with air or nitrox up to and including a bit of decompression diving. The only time you'll need to change the computer is if/when you start diving with multiple gasses and doing more decompression, you may never do this though.

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
Buy regulators with a DIN fitting also rather than A-Clamp/Yoke. It's a better more secure fitting. The only time I'd maybe suggest otherwise is if you intend doing a lot of diving in the USA but even then you can get an adaptor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank again, am heading to the dive show at the NEC on the 22nd so will look out for this kit, dont think need will do multiple gasses and diving in the states may be a long time off. Thank you again for the advice which saves getting caught out on the different kit out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts