YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner/buddy needs new fins and he's looking at Split Fins. We mostly dive in the UK, both sea and fresh water.
Any good?
Which one's do you recommend?
Which one's do you suggest I stay away from?
Budget of up to £100.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
stay away from the ones that have a split down the middle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've been using Scubapro twin jets for over ten years still in good nick and still available.
Not sure on current price though.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
yes i did find they sucked miserably when finning. and i dive in some serious currents where finning is a no go and even wreck diving they didnt propellel me around well

i did find them good for very fine movements but i have gone for IST F1s really good power, comfy, not so long they catch on stuff, not so short they dont propell you, makes backfinning possible,

if your are interested in them i have some tusa split fins sat gathering dust. save spending new prices make me an offer

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
It's a bight. Split fins = strokery...

personally, I don't get on with them. If you have half decent technique, they'll merely slow you down. If you need spilt fins and you don't have a disability, you need some technique lessons, not split fins.

I have no DIR axe to grind here, but the only person who I have ever dived with who uses split fins (or in fact force fins) and is any good at diving uses them because he has no feeling below the knee in either leg and has no articulation in either ankle.

If that fit's you, knock yourself out with split fins.

But what do I know? If you think you want some, try some before you buy and don't get lumbered with expensive tat.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
Thanks Mala,
Are there other types of split fins?
Why do you suggest staying away?

ok -more seriously...

fins come in different shapes and sizes and styles etc.

so do people.
what will suit 1 may be crap for another.
its not like a shoe shop -you need many dives to get the fin thing sorted properly.

some fins suit 1 type of finning and some dont.

as a guide i would say that long slender fins that are not so stiff would be most suited to a long legged person with weaker muscles.
wide stiff fins would suit a shorter type with stronger muscles.

try many fins ...and then decide.

2p

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I do a lot of wreck diving on slack and aim to swim as little as possible:) For me having foot pockets that are comfortable and big enough and fins that allow me to steer well is more important than out and out propulsion speed. I ended up with Turtle fins as I have large feet. They have been fine for years. Tried some Scubapro splits once and hated them, too long and whippy.

Make sure the foot pocket doesn't restrict your foot in any way - this is a recipe for cold feet. In fact they can be surprisingly loose and still be effective.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Make sure the foot pocket doesn't restrict your foot in any way - this is a recipe for cold feet. In fact they can be surprisingly loose and still be effective.
this is something i didnt realise which was just how well fins stay on the foot in water. i always ratcheted mine closed before i went to springs and now well im much more comfy than i had been

·
The Eternal Optimist
167 Posts
Good point, but how can one try out fins under dive conditions? Would most dive shops be prepared to let one use new fins on a trial basis - I suspect not?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have used tusa splits same pair for around 8 years for wreck diving ,never caught on anything before ,very comfortable feels like you have no fins on .When I used to dive with buddy's I use to have to keep stopping to wait for them maybe they were all just slow .......... .
They are very good if you have any sort of leg ,ankle pain as they take the strain off .

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Reactions: drjustice

·
Winding up the precious since 2009
2,988 Posts
Good point, but how can one try out fins under dive conditions? Would most dive shops be prepared to let one use new fins on a trial basis - I suspect not?
Capernwray do.

For that matter so will most divers certainly amongst me and my buddies we quite regularly lend variousr bits of kit to people wanting to try stuff out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not splits, but I love my Scubapro seawing novas. I have always had trouble finning in current, probably down to technique as my buddy says my legs rarely go in the same direction twice. I used to use Mares tres (older than the quattros) and when there was any current at all I was hopeless.

The seawing novas are incredibly easy to move through the water. Because of the reduced drag I seem to get a lot more power out of them, they are especially good on the surface where I struggled terribly with the big flat fins. I had to do my buoyant lift and diver tow in a choppy loch long with the novas on and it was tiring but easy. They really made a big difference to me.

Sharon

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My partner/buddy needs new fins and he's looking at Split Fins. We mostly dive in the UK, both sea and fresh water.
Any good?
Which one's do you recommend?
Which one's do you suggest I stay away from?
Budget of up to £100.
My 1ps worth isn't much to share - I've only tried one pair of split fins; they were the bog standard Scubapro split fins and after due consideration, they were decidedly useless. Compared to my Quattros, they were easier on my calves which was nice but there was nothing there when I kicked. Like diving with a A3 sheet of paper on each foot. The feeling was comparable to when I tried Force Fins but the difference was that despite feeling like nothing was happening, the FFs moved me through the water. Unlike the split fins. YMMV and many people seem to use them sucessfully but I'm afraid I couldn't recommend them if they paid me to do so and most of the people I've seen struggling in strong currents seemed to be using split fins (though this may well be a coincidence. However, MrsT swapped her Quattros with one of them and suddenly the roles were reversed - MrsT now had to struggle to keep up whilst the previously struggling young lady powered away. But still, it could have been a coincidence.)!

·
owner of rectotec
1,678 Posts
I used to have a pair of Tusa splits & for straight line power using a traditional flutter kick they were great. However if you wish to frog then forget it. Personally I would go for a jet style fin. I use Hollis F1s myself

TG

Sent from my iPhone using Timmytalk (hopefully)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Used a variety of fins over the years, keep going back to mares quatro. Splits and ff are much easier on the joints and great if you just want to potter/take pictures, on a rib they bend out of the way but if you have heavy gear to move through the water or any distance to cover, not so good, mine are quite heavy, no need to wear ankle weights but extra weight you don't need in holiday luggage.

·
writing cheques he can't cash
617 Posts
I used the Atomic split fins for a while and can agree that they are definitely easier on the joints and in low/no current can move you pretty quickly, especially if you use a modified flutter kick. But for almost anything else I found them a real challenge. I found the blades twist easily, which gave me foot cramps. I moved to the Quattros and loved 'em. But if your buddy is determined to try something different, I actually didn't mind the force fins that much. Yes, there's not a lot of resistance to push against, but they do move you. You'll pay a lot for the privilege though! But yes, try and borrow different types and see what you like. I'd start basic and cheap and work your way up to the expensive fancy fins.

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Putting prejudice to one side (unusual in YD), look at this, Listed by effect: 28 FINS ON TEST - Divernet or this Fins - Divernet
I read the corresponding article in this month's rag - in both tests, there is no mention in the article as to whether the test method involved flutter kicking, frog kicking or a mixture of the two - I suspect flutter kicking.

These days, unless I'm sprinting to an out-of-gas buddy or fighting hard against a current, it's the frog kick for me.

That said, the first Divernet article is actually quite well balanced and their results would tend to align with my own experiences of different fins - 8/10, BJ! The second article was quite good, but the current SCUBA one seemed less good.

ATEOTD, just buy Mares Avantis of some description - you just can't go wrong!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts