YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It's a pity they only ever want to measure "How much oomph has it got?" in these tests.

Instead of just seeing what maximum force you can get out of a fin, it'd be nice to see a test where, for instance, they show how much force various different fin strokes give - If a fin is great for flutter kicks but useless for frog kicks, I don't want to be using it.

And then there's the way I've heard a lot of Force Fin users who say that they're the best fins they've ever used underwater, but they're pants at surface swims.

Or what about some mention of how much silt all these different fins kick up?

According to that table, IDEA3 fins are almost as good as Mares Avanti's. Well, I have a pair of IDEA3s, and I regard them as pathetic compared to my Avanti pool fins.

They went to so much effort on those tests, it would have been nice if they'd used some worthwhile measurements..

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

How strange!!  I love my Idea3 fins and found them better in some ways than my Avanti Quattros.  They are great for frog kicks and easy manouevuring and feel alot more "organic" to me than the Quattros.  The only complaint I ever had against them was their length.

I think, in the end, it is another case of personal preference.  Some fins do give more power when used in x configuration than others, but who uses fins the same way as the guy swimming next to you?  It'll vary according to ankle angle and length of leg for starters!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

"How strange!!  I love my Idea3 fins and found them better in some ways than my Avanti Quattros."

They're up for sale. Make me an offer ;)

"It'll vary according to ankle angle and length of leg for starters!!"

Hadn't thought of that - given that I'm 6'4", it might be just that my legs are too long for such long fins to work,  what with leverage and all..

Given that I currently have Avantis, Idea3s and Jetfins, maybe I should take them all to the pool and do my OWN comparison test

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ah well, you see I still have the Idea3s for wetsuit.  The Avantis are for Drysuit (where bending over and legs are a problem and the clunk-clicks are actually helpful until I inherit enough dosh to buy ss springs!).  Thanks for the offer anyway, Dom.  Most public-spirited of you! ;)

I am 5ft8 but my legs belonged to a midget in an earlier life so the leverage is somewhat less!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've got the Apollo biofins and just bought the SP Twinjets for 'er indoors, interestingly my LDS has the non-UK black ones, I think they'ree both pretty cool

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,
My favorite are the Cressi Frog, very robust and good thrust. I also have Avanti Quattros for the drysuit, which are ok but feel I have to put more power to kick in them. Also I have a pair of Force fins which I don't like. As always is up to diver preference. I don't like the Idea because the front part of fin seems fragile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts