YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something of a regular trip now with Mark Davies and Dougie Kerr organising trips twice a year to the Sound of Mull staying at the Lochaline dive center and diving off Alan's Boat the Peregrine.

Rob Lowe, Dougie and I drove up from Edinburgh on Friday morning arriving at Lochaline shortly after 1pm. We stowed our gear on the boat and sorted our accomodation out, and met Chris (Dundee) at the slip.

1st Dive: Grey Rocks, Great vis and good light at 20m we had a gentle bimble along spotting the usual life in the Sound, crabs, deadmands fingers, starfish etc...

The group were staying in the Dive center but as a contractor was also staying Rob and I volunteered to be moved to the Post office, which I prefered as there is more space. We shared with some nice divers from Dundee BSAC.

Day two.

2nd Dive: Shuna, We circled this wreck and swam along the decks with good vis. I don't rate this wreck, but my memory is fading about the dive.

3rd Dive: Ardmore Point, This is a slope/wall/slope which was a nice change from the wrecks of the Sound. The slope turns into a wall where you can pick your depth to about 45m, as you drif with the tide before ending up on the sandy slope on the otherside. here the life keeps you occupied whilst you off gas with great vis and lots to look at.

4th Dive: Hispania, This was quite tidal, with mixed opinion on the direction of the tide and whether it change whilst some of us were inside it. Its a nice wreck to get inside, but this wreck leans over to one sidewhich can be disorienting as you first enter it. Rob got cold so we left before I'd seen it all.

Third Day.

5th Dive: Breda, This was a great wreck, The light was good and the vis was very good for the silty bay with enough light to explore the inside without loosing sight of the open water. We swam from Stern to Bow through the middle of the wreck over the silty cargo of tyres, batteries, crates of unidentifiable (to me) stuff, broken glass and toilet basins. The front crown of the wreck has been pulled off from the middle of the first hold and thanks to Dundee's sonar scans we swam off the bow to the port side to discover the crown of the bow with masts and decking strewn to one side. This was a great excursion and made this the top dive of the weekend for me. I usually just tour round the deck as its silty and an unknown inside but this was great.

6th Dive: Falls of Lorne, This was done last October with great success from the loch to the sea. This time we went the other way from the sea to the loch. The tide took an age to slow before changing and eventually we all went in. I and my buddy Rob went down in no tide to a steep pebble slope. There was a wall in front and I could not figure out if it was infront or if it was at the side of the loch entrance. With no water movement I started to assend and got swept away along the tops of the entrance, over what seemed like deep dark troffs where I was sucked into and spat out. Then along a reef at ~8m before going over another deep troff. This was a crazy ride and not at all like the last dive. At the end of the ride the bottom dropped away and I struggled to keep bouynacy being sucked down. Eventually getting to the surface where the crazy ride ended.

Last day.

7th Dive: Rondo, Bounce dive. Down to the bottom, swim around and then assend to the stops.

8th Dive: Thesis, This dive was a nice ending to the weekend. I lost Steve my buddy but he found me on the wreck (I lost the Shot but found the wreck). One swin through from bow to stern in 5 mins before we drifted off west on the rocky slope. I saw three Nudibranks. All the same. I can't ID it, but it was dark brown, 4 inches long, with 4 tenticles, and two fether like leaves running fron rear to front (looking like a ladies labia, only upside down).

It was great to see Chris, Paul, Steve, Mark, Yaz, Dougie, Simon and Martin again and nice to meet Jools (wheres the poontange) and Justine from Dundee.

Dave C

·
death is certain life is not!
1,371 Posts
good weekend nice to see some old faces again and meet a few new ones, did some excellent blooming cold dives but really good visibility.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Great meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones and this trip is one I always look forward to.

Our story goes like this; Mark's car died on us about 5 miles away from the dive centre and when he checked one of his electronic gizmos on the car the trouble codes were showing problems in the cam shaft area eeeek! We decided as we were so close we would still continue the planned weekend diving. We got a number for a garage with a flat back truck and he took us the final few miles.

I dived the Shuna on the Saturday but at the end of the dive while on the shot line I realised I was really short of breath which is a scarey feeling when you know you got 90 bar left in your tank. I am aneamic but this shortness of breath was affecting me on the surface so I decided to b sensible and not do any more dives for the weekend. I am home and I have gone on to develop a lovely chest infection which hopefully accounts for the SOB. I am sorry I never got the chance to say tarra to everyone but I dont think I could have made it back up the hill from the harbour.

Back to the car - As we knew the AA was going to relay us home and we didnt know how long it would take we decided not to dive Monday and leave early and arranged for the AA to come at 8.30 and of course it was 10'oclock when the same lad who collected us arrived on Friday. He took us as far as Hamilton services and we were told the next AA man will be there in half hour, great we had time to get somethign to eat! Well we would have fattened and killed the calf the time the next guy arrived. AA has a policy that they will not drop customers to different addresses but this guy kindly agreed to drop me and my kit off first as long as it didnt affect his driving time and ability to get back to Glasgow but it did. The long and the short we decided to be dropped off at mine and AA would collect car the next day. I dropped MArk home his car is outside my house awaiting AA to collect it and deliver it tothe garage, they arrived 30 minutes ago with a normal AA van! So the wait continues, so far time spent awaiting AA is 6 hours over the various agreed appointment times.

See you all in October :D

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
l must get up there again with my daughter Rebecca. To be honest what put us both off last time on a yd gig was doing reef/wall dives instead of wrecks, oh and the Dundee bros. :D

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
l must get up there again with my daughter Rebecca. To be honest what put us both off last time on a yd gig was doing reef/wall dives instead of wrecks, oh and the Dundee bros. :D
I liked the reefs and Walls we did. Made a change from the usual wrecks and with bright light penetrating through the great vis, the dives not on wrecks were great.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I liked the reefs and Walls we did. Made a change from the usual wrecks and with bright light penetrating through the great vis, the dives not on wrecks were great.
I really enjoy the walls like the John Preston wall and Calve Island. You really need to hit them at the right time of year or they can be quite dull and lifeless though. I think they're much better dives than something like the Thesis but in winter or spring you might as well be in a quarry as it's just rock.

·
death is certain life is not!
1,371 Posts
Howard just because we both refused your sexual advances doesnt mean we cant be friends!, well i did but not sure about our kid!?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.