YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
can actually fly!

Much to my surprise, he was pretty good on the controls of a DG1000 two seater at the weekend. Sadly, cloudbase was only 1500 feet, so we couldn't try any of the rough stuff (the DG1000 spins like a top and if we'd tried that from 1500 feet, you'd be reading the accident report today :eek:), but young Gareth proved that the RAF know something about flying. Who'd have thought it? :D

On our second wire launch, we released in a small gap in the clouds, 200 feet above cloudbase. Gloc was surprised to lear that glider pilots are allowed to fly inside cloud without being under radar control. We're a tough/daft bunch!

Cheers, Chris

·
Bristol
332 Posts
Where to you fly from? I was a member at Nympsfield but didn't get to fly much last year due to too much diving. Must get back to it one day.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Did he say, "I haven't done any flying like this since my last rubber dog shit transport out of Hong Kong?" :D

One of my friends who is up in Scotland flying very fast things, is a constant Top Gun quote machine...

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
It was a great day put. Thanks Chris. Shame the weather gods conspired against us.

Soggy, I didn't squeal but it was fun, especially with the +3 to -1.5g pull and bunt over the top. Herc was limited to 2.75/-1 :)

The real reason I was down there was because I had bought Kate some glider flights with the club for Christmas as it is something she had wanted to do for ages. She loved it, although a little apprehensive following the safety briefs which involved discussing parachutes and bailing out!!

We'll be back again in the summer hoping the weather has improved!

Regards

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bet he squealed like a 12 year old on a fair ground ride....
Err, no he didn't. That was you - remember? I've still got the video...;)

Soggy, I didn't squeal but it was fun, especially with the +3 to -1.5g pull and bunt over the top. Herc was limited to 2.75/-1 :)
Only +3 :cry: What an error - the glider is rated to +5. I'll do it properly next time and see if we can get a +5 pull out and a 3g turn...:)

pfft.. those glider johnnys are a bit girly aren't they... never wore a parachute in the Tiger Club.. ;)
You never had 15 aircraft all within 200 metres of each other all banked over flying within 3 knots of the stall speed...

It was a great day even though we had up to 20 knots head wind on the ground and 8 octas cloud. It was a shame that the competition gliders (60 of them) didn't launch, as I would have loved to see Gloc's safety assessment of 20 of us turning in the same thermal. It gets a bit busy on the lookout front. :D

Catherine later admitted that she had been apprehensive before the first launch, but to be honest it never showed. My flying can't have been too bad as she wanted a second go!

Cheers, Chris

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Did he need a booster cushion? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts