YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ok boys 'n' girls... Me and our kid are heading to St Abbs this Sunday no matter what!!!  :biggrin:

I've checked the weather and it seems its light south westerly's for the next 5 days, so depending on a favourable report from Scoutscroft dive centre we will be trekking north.... I've informed the sherpa's, the kit is being prepared, and as far as I can see I should be dipping my toes into the crystal clear and vibrant waters of Scotland on Sunday....

Everybody's welcome... gimme a shout on 0771 4034666 if you wanna come along.

BUT....If you see an Emoticon posted, of a man putting a Magnum 44 to his head and blowing virtual gooh all over the screen then you'll know its all gone tit's up but for now its GO! GO! GO!

Dave the Hopeful....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Then wait no more Tony my fine friend, cos here it is.... :biggrin:

The day started at 6:30 this morning, not my best time really... one can feel slightly grumpy crawling out of bed at this ungodly hour on a Sunday but Abbs awaited so I soon cheered up, the weather outside looked clear and bright thank God...   Mark (my brother) was knocking at the door at 6:50, a good omen as he's alway's late, so we packed the gear into the motor, quaffed a quick coffee and set off North.... The roads were clear and the journey was really nice, lots of banter, laughter, rubbing of hands and general excitement all the way to Scotland..... As we passed the Farnes and Holy Island we looked expectantly at the sea and it was like glass... Yeeeesssss!!!!! the sun was shining, the wind was westerly and life was good.

My concern about not getting a parking space in the tiny car park was unfounded, as there were only about three cars already there when we arrived, altho an hour later it was packed... (bunch of lazy b*stards obviously....) ;) anyway.... we immediately started chatting with some Geordies and then all had a walk around the harbour wall to peruse our day's conquests... (Dontcha just love the immediate camaradre that you get amongst total strangers who enjoy this great little rubber wearing hobby of ours?) when we got to the usual drop in point and looked….the tide was out..... I mean really out... “Hmmm we’ll wait a while” so we all strolled back and started to unload the kit and order butties.. (bacon for me please)

About an hour after arriving we were kitted up and humping it around the harbour wall to join the tail end of a queue.... (queue?? where the #### had everyone come from??) eventually we got to the bottom of some very precarious rocks and eased ourselves into some seriously cold water... (face ache anyone??)...

We'd already taken a bearing on the West side of 'Big green Carr' which we'd decided to circumnavigate anticlockwise and already made a note of our reciprocal back to base, so without further ado we finned like crazy thru the kelp and dropped down to the bottom.... checked the equipment one last time, big thumbs up, and off we went.....

Viz wasn't as good as last time but better then I've had for a while (Cyprus aside) average about 5-6 metres.... we pootled about around the bottom of the rock coming to what I think was the Ampitheatre... there the usual array of british marine flora and fauna... dead mens fingers.... starfish, urchins etc etc... but what I did notice was that it seemed nowhere nearly as alive as my last visit and wondered.... (don't laugh if this is a stupid comment) but wondered if it was cos it was winter and would things liven up during the spring and summer.... whatever…. we continued around until we arrived at the point where our compass was telling us to turn right and leave the rock but we'd completely missed the main attraction of Big Green Carr... The resident Wolffish... not sure how we'd missed his lair but we had.... never mind.... another day perhaps...

We finned back thru the kelp and surfaced... far too far away.... so back down a few metres and off again…. Finally got to the little gully that everyone likes to use as an entry/exit point and whilst clinging onto the rock, I popped off a fin strap… not a good thing to do I realised as I’m looking at the fin in my hand minus one strap and clips….. “stop!! I’ve lost a strap!!.....I yelped “no one move!!” yeah right…. Everyone completely ignored me and just went on getting in or out of the water… eventually after whinging loud enuff,  a couple of lads did mooch around looking for it, but to no avail….. bummer!. Not quite giving up yet, I asked for my mask to be passed back down off the rocks, fitted it and dropped into the kelp laden gully bottom… no fins on and quite a little swell…  but guess what! I found it!!! :biggrin:

So well chuffed with my little self, and clutching my nearly lost fin strap, we set off on the mini trek back around the harbour wall to sink some hot coffees and another butty or two…. The car park was really busy when we got there, with divers returning from boat dives, shore dives etc. groups of tourists more interested in the strange neoprene clad nutcases who like to throw themselves into freezing mid winter oceans, than the beautiful Scottish scenery and seagulls… the biggest seagulls you have ever seen….. (Oh I forgot to tell you… one shat on me as I waited in line to enter the water on my first dive…. fortunately it landed on my foot, so I didn’t look the twat I could of looked if it had hit me on the head….) I’m sure these things are related to African vultures BTW…. A seriously scary bird, with an arsehole the size of a B52 bomb bay

As we stood in the car park eating our butties and taking in the ambience of the place, diver chat… general log book filling activities and so on, the strangest thing happened….. there was a mass leaving…. I mean all of a sudden there was a queue of cars and vans trying to leave….. within minutes the car park was nearly empty…. Had they all gone for fills?? Had they gone home?? Surely not after only one dive…… but they had…. These peeps never returned…. strangest thing…. Anyway I digress… onto dive two!

After a fairly long SI and a trip to Scoutscroft for a fill we returned and kitted for the second dive, followed by a long stroll around the harbour wall…. Did I mention the harbour wall??? This time no queue, no tourists either… seagulls a plenty but not a soul…. Did we miss something??? Was there no diving this time of day?? Where these now killer tides ready to sweep us out to sea?? Slightly at a loss and amazed at just how high and fast moving these seas now looked, we timidly entered the water.. Our initial dive plan of finning the long distance to find Cathedral Rock vanished as we were tossed about in the confusing currents that went first one way and then another…. We very nearly bottled it altogether but decided we’d do Big Green Carr once more as we  knew where we were going and what to expect, but as a treat we’d now do it clockwise….

Well guess what gentlemen…. The first thing we came to was the home of the elusive Wolf fish…. And he was in….. fantastic!!! He was massive…. Much bigger than I remembered… and we weren’t alone there either, when we arrived, there were two other divers there shining a big bright torch light straight into the eyes of the biggest ugliest thing I’ve seen underwater…. So.. I added my torchlight for good measure and Mark started hammering away with the flash of the camera… well these are the things you have to put up with when you are a famous fish aren’t they??.. The guy below me picked up a half eaten urchin and offered it to the beast….. well actually he dropped it just in front and quickly removed his arm from the entrance… The fish just twisted his huge head, opened its massive jaws, grabbed the urchin, turned on a sixpence and was gone….. Awesome…. Absolutely wicked  :biggrin: I turned to Mark to see his expression but he was busy looking into the lense of the camera for some strange reason…. Missed a spectacular there….. daft lad….

The two departed and left me and our kid trying to entice Wolfy back out by tapping rocks together (I’d read this worked but it didn’t) so we went off mooching around the Carr swimming against a fairly strong current which turned into a nice bit of a drift on the way back…. We didn’t go all the way round cos things got a bit hectic seaward side… anyway when we got back to the lair Wolfy was on station again….. did I say awesome?
Awesome!!!….. I just stared at him and he stared back…. I pushed my face closer into the lair and I’m sure he was thinking.. “c’mon then… a little closer… closer…” but my bottle went… the frickin thing actually scared me…. I was sure it was gonna lunge at my mask….
I bottled it to a fish gents.. sad but true…. :surprised:
We stayed there for ages just watching him and him watching us…. I was totally mesmerised.. please God let these piccys come out ok

Anyhoow… the dive ended with a wicked timed exit on a now strong surge and a much shorter climb up the rocks followed by what now seemed like a much longer walk around the harbour wall….. all in all a great day….  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Excellent trip report - sounds like you had a great time and congratulations for actually making it! I've been hectic doing 'family' things and reinstalling windows - yes, its that time of the year again! Am off to Stoney on Thursday and Vivian for the weekend as part of my DM but nowt else for the foreseeable.

Regards

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

It was the epic I was expecting and put us "Old Salts" to shame. Like the experience with the wolffish. I well remember following a cut fishing line under a ledge at St Abbs, to find a Conger on the end it had a head the size of a donkey, Honest!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts