YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've been to St Abbs sooo many times, but what a corker of a day on Sunday helping out my old club!
V early start, 7am! thick frost everywhere Brrr..... one guy had a flat battey so had to jummp start his van, loaded up all the Uni club kidies and got to Abbs for about 9am, no parking charges now and loads of space in the car park.

Before we even got into the water we saw a Mink bounding along the harbour wall, then a seal in the harbour - first time I've seen seals at Abbs. First dive I saw the seal underwater, whoo hoo!
Saw the usual Abbs residents too, lobbies , squatties, pollack Ballen wrasse etc

After the second dive three divers surfaced just off the harbour (Little Green Carr?) signalling distress so we raised the shout.  I kid you not! about 30 seconds after the call was received by the Coastguard the crew were roaring down the bank to the boat house, FFS!  Boat was duly launched but due to a miscommunication they headed off to St Abbs Head to look for the incident, leaving us somewhat bemused.  

Meanwhile two of our troop finned over to the rock and towed the hapless divers back to shore. All that had happened was that they'd been unable to fin against the current and being not very switched on had ended up knackered and stranded on the rocks rather than dropping down and crawling over the rocks as most of us would, not helped by the fact that these guys had most definately been eating all the pies and more. In the words of Blur "you wanna cut down on the pork pies mate, getr some exercise..."

I don't know what the RNLI guys thought but you can imagine that they might be inclined to be less than charitable about the diving community. The head honcho came over and got some info about us raising the shout, he seemed ok about the situation.

Meanwhile a pod of about 15 or so porpoises passed by.

Day ended with a pootle around Seagull rock, lots of amusement was had by us from the  group of about 8  scottish divers who were making this pootle into a logistical excercise worthy of diving the Brittanic I particularly like the way the shore cover was shouting out compass bearings to get the divers to shore on a clear sunny afternoon
 "Never, in the history of UK diving, has so much faff, been faffed buy so few..."

Problems with trainees not being able to clear ears lead to some faffing of our own, so when Ieventually got one of them into the water it was dark by the time we got back inshore so had to dodge the Harbour master who freaks out if you're in the water at dark "No bloody night diving!"

So, Kudos to the RNLI or their faster than rapid response, big slaps on the wrist to the guy from the scottish bunch who supposedly kindly was directing me to where there was a lobster without much cover "Ah'd hiv lifted him maself but ah hud ma trainees in tow..." When I pointed out that it was a marine reserve and you're not supposed to take anything, he replied "Aye, yir no seeposed to get caught taking onything"  

To end on a more positive note, chatting to Billy (Aitchison) revealed that dolphins have been frolicking around his boat recently and the seal incursions are becoming common place, all we need now is an Orca sighting and that'll be the lot

lets hope the good viz holds out for a bit longer
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Sorry Dave, thinking about it in retrospect I should have said come along anyway and tag onto a another buddy pair , just wasn't sure how you would feel about bimbling about with trainees and all the palava that goes with a Uni branch trip, but I'll remember for next time
Chee-az
Steevil

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry Dave,

My back went out unexpectedly at 3am for no apparent reason (other than the fact it's generally fooked) and I couldn't even lift my mask off the floor.

Bollocks.

Cracked back into position about 2 hours ago and now REALLY hurts  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Steve,

I would like to come along next time your near. I'm just out of training myself, 32 dives. Some of those who started with me have yet to qualify, so I'm no stranger to tagging along just to get dive in. Plus my DO couldn't argue with the dive as its going to be well organised, with good backup and none too deep.

Sorry to hear about your back Drifty, I was a little pissed when I got your text as I was about to head out the door. Hope your getting better.

Dave C

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Nov. 24 2003,13:35)]Hope your getting better.
... he said as he stabbed yet another pin into the back of the voodoo doll.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah, and stop slamming the Gavster-doll's head in the door as well  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>How dare you try and intimate that I was, somehow, worse for wear after imbibing.

Just because I spent most of Saturday shaking like a shitting dog ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts