YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

As a newcomer to Yorkshire Divers Trips it was great to put a face to the names that have appeared on some of the forum postings.  A last minute decision for me on the Friday night meant a blast North up the A1 for me on the Saturday afternoon.

Driving into the campsite on Saturday evening I was greeted by Dave who promptly issued me with a beer. Having seen that base camp was well established I was well impressed.  Saturday night we heard tales that both compressors were potentially out of action one giving unusual tasting air was taken out of action for investigation whilst the other had a leak on the air bank.  At this point it was looking rather grim for the possibility of diving Sunday, the nearest air being a drag to Seahouses.
Saturday evening over a few beers we discussed the options if we were met with a no air situation. The option of getting a fill at Seahouses and doing Beadnall was an option.  

Up bright an early Sunday morning we had a quick sus out at Scoutscroft  “praise the lord” the compressor was back working .Then down to the harbour to stamp out a few car-parking places.  We were using Billy’s hardboat already well sussed out by Andy.
Despite the fact I only did the two dives on the Sunday I was impressed, excellent company, fantastic weather.  ( I don’t know many skippers that give you a Hot drink and Mars bar after the dive). My Two dives were very enjoyable, plenty to see, Max depth 16m, acceptable vis and a fair amount of sea life and I was nice and warm ( well done Weezle undersuits).

Thanks men for organising an excellent weekend( thanks to Jason for his underwater cylinder wrestling skills,) it did eventually stay on.

Roll on the next one

Thanks
Tony
(or if you prefer Timmy Mallet)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Another top weekend in Abbs.
Turning up for another Scottish gig were HeadsUp, Andy2tanks, Parahandy, PaulC, Andy's brother Dave and myself. We were joined by an Egyptian guy called Marco, who is a surgeon and works in the Leeds General Infirmary, so he was tortured all night with requests to look at genital warts and fix bad backs but he took it all in good humour (Altho I've still got my warts....)
Someone pointed out on the Saturday night as we quietly got pissed that Tony (Parahandy) looked like Timmy Mallet which had us all in hysterics, then the realisation that PaulC was actually Jack Dee, and Marco our new friend from Egypt was Omar Shariff on a diving holiday had us rolling with laughter... all of a sudden we were surrounded with celebrities, no doubt this was a result of mixing Lager with Ouzo but whatever, it was funny.

We had some great diving, which included up to 15m viz on one of the dives... hand feeding large wrasse... watching a shoal of fish diving down and cleaning themselves on the seabed... teasing wolf fish with a tasty gloved finger (mine)..... encircling an octopus and watching it with baited breath until it decided it had had enough of us and pulsed off into the distance..... balancing a 12" long angler fish on the back of the hand while Andy gleefully pulled its tail (cruel git) and then trying to extract some of the biggest invertebrates you can imagine from their lairs (to no avail I might add, those buggers are either too strong or too scary)

Thanks to HeadsUp for grabbing the last three spots at Crosslaw caravan park (Scoutscroft was full) and for lending PaulC his spare 15 ltr thereby allowing longer bottom times for both Paul and myself, and also for loaning me a pressure gauge when my A.I. computer gave up the ghost.

Thanks to Andy2tanks for forgetting to pick up his homemade carrot cake that he ordered which is now sitting in my cupboard at home.. Mmmmmmm..... :thumb:

Thanks to the weather Gods for giving us perfect conditions and thanks to everyone who turned up and made it another memorable session.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like you lot had a great time, really pleased the weather :sunshine: was kind to you all, Thanks Andy for the phone call and for making me feel really jealous! :blahblah: Thanks for that great report Dave.  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Nice weather ... good diving ... bunch of puffs. UK diving is meant to be horrible y'know ...

Jealous Gavster

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

I second Tony and Dave's posts - great to put faces to names. Except Dave's face which I knew already...Jay's loan of the 15l was much appreciated: I thought a 12 would do but Dave's face fell slightly and as Jay unanswerably (and mathematically) said - it's 600l more gas...I can truthfully say I've had worse dives in Thailand, and the support crew (Billy & Alison) worth the trip in themselves. The only slight drawbacks were having to think of something funny to say every 5 mins (in Jack Dee persona!), having to prise Davy Willo off the sea bed at the end of every dive 'cos I wanted to go home (how many 1 hour 18m dives do you want in one day Dave) and having to lug Andy's 2 f*****g tanks around (profanity there to make you feel better guys... :biggrin:
Anyway a great time was had and when can we go again! :confined:
PS where is my Jack Dee avatar Andy?!
Oh yes welcome to the board Marco!!

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

all jays doing mate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts