YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some early morning taxi and train adventures I was picked up from Weymouth Train Station by my good buddy and fellow muppet JackMac. We arrived in good time to get a fill and some breakfast before heading out on a reasonably calm sea with Smudge on Scimitar and some good folk from Millenium Divers. It turns out the kwells were probably a bit unecessary as it wasn't too choppy and we set off round the bill and along the coast to the St Dunstan.

After a quick chat and an equipment check we jumped in and down we went. First act of muppetry from me was not seeming to have enough hands to hold my nose put gas in wing and suit and turn my light on all at the same time and ended up practically lying on top of Jacks tins all the way down :D

Pleasantly surprised on the bottom by the light and a good 4-5m or vis we set off along the port side, actually I think that's the starboard side as it is upsideown, anyway the left side as you swim towards the front end and had a little look at the big cog things all covered in dead mans fingers and things. Around about the boilers Jack got his reel out and we went for a little poke around, sensibly deciding that inbetween the boilers was probably a bit too small and back out the way we came :)

There was a fair bit of life on there including a huge conger, lots of little blennies, the odd pollock and pink sea fans which I don't ever recall seeing before which are pretty cool.

We swam back had another little swim through, followed the prop shaft past the shot line to have a look at the proppellers and decided to return to shot to go back up but after not finding it and quick wetnotes chat we bagged off and up we went back in time for tea and pasties only just going over the hour we said we'd not be longer than.

All in all it was a cracking day out with good company, nice weather and conditions. It says somthing about UK winter diving that I was really quite pleased with 9 degrees and 4m vis! Looking forwards to many more days like it over the summer :)

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
There was a fair bit of life ... and pink sea fans which I don't ever recall seeing before which are pretty cool.
I thought that too :)

All in all it was a cracking day out with good company, nice weather and conditions. It says somthing about UK winter diving that I was really quite pleased with 9 degrees and 4m vis! Looking forwards to many more days like it over the summer :)
Same here, except I was in 8 degrees C ;) Oh, and on RWTwo :)

·
Another Muppet
232 Posts
Big thanks to Naomi, Fourie and Smudge for a great day out :thumbs_up:

Really enjoyed the St Dunstan with plenty to see for a small wreck. If it wasn't for the depth (30m) I'd say it would be an ideal first wreck dive.

·
Another Muppet
232 Posts
First act of muppetry from me was not seeming to have enough hands to hold my nose put gas in wing and suit and turn my light on all at the same time and ended up practically lying on top of Jacks tins all the way down :D
To be honest, I felt it cramped my style a little when I was forced to start the dive with a crash landing and minor silt out ;)

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
JackMac said:
To be honest, I felt it cramped my style a little when I was forced to start the dive with a crash landing and minor silt out ;)
You've obviously not had the 'pleasure' of diving with Chasey then!

Nice report. I really like the St. D, it was my 7th sea dive about 15 yrs ago.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Same here, except I was in 8 degrees C ;) Oh, and on RWTwo :)
Me too and then I followed it up with a dive on the James Fennel, which apparently no-one else found.

And the dolphin on the way back in was a nice sight, though I think Graeme, Woody and I were the only ones who saw it.

Jason

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too and then I followed it up with a dive on the James Fennel, which apparently no-one else found.

And the dolphin on the way back in was a nice sight, though I think Graeme, Woody and I were the only ones who saw it.

Jason
Oooh dolphin! You jammy git!

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Naomi S said:
Jack got his reel out and we went for a little poke around, sensibly deciding that inbetween the boilers was probably a bit too small and back out the way we came :)
MrMints and I are obviously a lot lither than you two, 'cos we went through there.
I'd forgotten you lot were diving it, else I'd have kicked the shit out of the viz before surfacing ;)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MrMints and I are obviously a lot lither than you two, 'cos we went through there.
I'd forgotten you lot were diving it, else I'd have kicked the shit out of the viz before surfacing ;)
What through the bit inbetween the boilers long ways, heading towards the bow? There was no room to turn around or fin, it would've been a pull yourself along job I reckon. Did you see the massive conger that lives in there? Not sure he'd be too happy about sharing his home lol.

And we did "proper" slack as Smudge called it so all your mess would have been washed away by the time we got there any way :p

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Scribs and I were trying to find the current so we could actually drft :rolleyes:

Anyway, Fennel Pnennel, we saw a really long pipe fish and a scuttling cuttle :p

And after I was carefully moving the jelly-welly fishes trying to make the trailing line safe :angel:

·
Another Muppet
232 Posts
Do you mean the gap above the boilers just below the ceiling? I'd be pretty impressed if you got through there without destroying the vis - simply because there wasn't even room to fin kick.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aww, will have to go for it next time, hopefully on the charity dive.
For sure! I'll be right behind you if we are on the same boat and diving together. Must remember to book that day off work. I think you did the right thing yesterday, as you say, you didn't know if we would be happy to squeeze in after you, which shows you are a cautious and considerate buddy which is always good :)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aha we are talking totally different swim throughs. Nick was in the very forward one and we went through the one in the middle where there is, according that sketch no link up to the bit that you were in Nick. Maybe we should see if we can connect them :D

No bell I am afraid Chesh, maybe next time...

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Aha we are talking totally different swim throughs. Nick was in the very forward one and we went through the one in the middle where there is, according that sketch no link up to the bit that you were in Nick. Maybe we should see if we can connect them :D

No bell I am afraid Chesh, maybe next time...
Not the bell. There's still one of these on the wreck :)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts