YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Here's one for the fish prodders. I wouldn't mind a jaunt there myself. A bit pricey though.

St. KILDA

Peter

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Peter
Just had a look back in my log book for 1985 went to St Kilda for the week on a BSAC Expedition, cost then £350 for the week( food air accomodation) those were the days.  
I considered at the time and still do that this is the best diving location in Britain. Remember doing a night dive at midnight with one of the army personnel based there, only trouble with those latitudes  in June it was still daylight.

Agree the current prices seem a bit steep.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

I sorted a trip for my club with Poplar Diver this summer.
Most things have gone up in price in the last approx 20yrs, £350 to £550 is probably a fairly typical inflation lift since then, I am no economist though.
Agree St Kilda is the most stunning place I've dived in open water, it's pretty d*mned impressive above the water too.
We had a bit of an adventure getting there, force 8s obliged a fantastic circuit of the inner and outer Hebrides before we made a dash for it over an undulating magic carpet ride courtesy of the open Atlantic.
Coming back, via Barra, it was as calm as you like.
Cost, once you are on the boat, unless you are buying booze on the boat-----surely not--------there is no extra cost.
PS, the boat ran out of wine on our trip

If you drink in the Puffin, you will have to drink a heck of a lot before you notice your wallet getting any thinner.
Every UK diver should make the pilgrimage at least once before hanging up their flippers

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I really hope that's a joke Helen!

Peter

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (malcolm smith @ Dec. 10 2003,23:54)]Every UK diver should make the pilgrimage at least once before hanging up their flippers
Flippers???

Anyway, sounds like a good destination for the summer. Are there any budding organisers out there who know enough about this lonely place to do a trip at a decent price?

James

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>There's a mate of mine who is doing a trip around the back of Harris for a week next year that gives the chance of getting Kilda for a couple of days.

BUT

You can plan Kilda as much as you like but if the weather isn't right you haven't a freakin' chance of getting near the bugger.

I'll see how many places are left and post details and availability for the gig.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 11 2003,22:41)]I really hope that's a joke Helen!

Peter
Peter, it may not have been. There was an article in Diver (or was it Dive?) a year or two ago on a club that took two fast RIBs to St Kilda. I remember the expedition took a lot of planning and they had to wait a day or so for the weather window but it obviously can be done. On the other hand, I've met people that have been there on a hardboat and spewed all the way there and all the way back  

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Poplar Diver and Halme Bjorg--------hopeless spelling probably-------the boats in the Northern Lights stable are the most likely boats to get you there. They are far more likely to make the crossing in lumpy weather than any other boat doing the Kilda run.

None but the brave

Seriously, the diving is terrific, rocks  festooned with pretty things, and the rock formations-----especially Sgarbhstac, an arch that bottoms out at 50m----is a good diving memory to have.
The diving is not just for ultra tekkies, most of our group did the trip with a 12l plus pony, a few with 2 12s and 7l deco stage. Nitrox is available and very useful on Poplar Diver, but that is hardly tekky these days.
RIB?---------I vaguely remember an article in Diver mag where some divers did a trip in a RIB, not sure though
On Harris in Rodel Bay, we did the Stassa, featured in a Diver wreck tour which is well worth doing.

If you like St Abbs on its best day---------pay the money, and make the trip  

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

i went to a presentation at the dive show where a club went to st kilda with two ribs.  i guess you havent seen my clubs rib.  Lets just say we were planning to take her for a wee trip to norway.................the wet way.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Porg

She looks the business, is she a real go-er?, does she get wet when 12 men, all with an assortment of toys, smile in her direction??  
 Probably treading on thin ice now so I'll stop there

James

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 12 2003,20:00)]I guess you havent seen my clubs rib.  Lets just say we were planning to take her for a wee trip to norway.................the wet way.
Have I misunderstood you or are you really planning to drive your RIB across the North Sea?

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

yep.  We take her every year to The Isle of May by sea from Amble.  Takes about 4 hours but its no problem.  Emily is based on the ribs used by the offshore oil industry to ferry stuff that cant go by chopper and needs to be there in a hurry.  She is a diesel inboard and very fuel efficient.  She also goes like shit off a stick!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 13 2003,11:00)]yep.  We take her every year to The Isle of May by sea from Amble.  Takes about 4 hours but its no problem.  Emily is based on the ribs used by the offshore oil industry to ferry stuff that cant go by chopper and needs to be there in a hurry.  She is a diesel inboard and very fuel efficient.  She also goes like shit off a stick!
Well, I don't know where you'll be starting from but the ferry takes about 24 hours and that is fairly fast. I've done the crossing (from Sweden) umpteen times and have had waves breaking over the bridge (i.e. 10-15 m waves!!!) on a number of occasions, so you'd better watch the weather forecast! The North Sea can be very cruel and the weather changes very fast.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

we actually raced the brand new "superfast" ferry from Edinburgh when it was still in the firth on her maiden voyage and we were pretty evenly matched.
Of course the planning of such a trip would involve studying the weather very intensley.  One of our members is a trawlerman out of Amble and so knows the north sea and her moods very well.  The crew would be just that - crew, no passengers.  I suspect the other guys would be our DO who is a member of the Coastguard and the diving liason officer for his sector, his mate who is also a CG member and maybe room for a little un??  Or not, i prefer the ferry with the bar really.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It sounds as though you've thought the whole thing over thoroughly and chosen the right crew. The North Sea will have to be unusually calm for you to be able to drive your RIB at anything like full speed though. If I were you, I'd stick to the ferry and bar and let the pros take the RIB.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

if they offered me a place on the rib going over i would think about it long and hard.  I have been driving ribs since i was 14, doing it for a living since i was 16, and have driven this one in bloody huge seas (The cox wussed out and had to go and sit down, i was deputy cox so i got to do it).  
I would love to go to fair isle too.  The Jean Elaine went there last year i think.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Oh come on chaps!!

You can't toss out info like this and not expect to get us, ahem, wet!!

St Kilda YD gig in the offing!!? I'd be up for it. Any other takers??

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>you would need to take you rown compressor, fuel for both it and the boat(s), food, all your dive gear plus clothes (minimal) sleeping bags etc.  During the crossing you are out of range of the coastguard for a short time (radio).
There is a bothy on the island which would be preferable to camping - less gear to carry.

If you run out of food the army (?) base on the island will only feed you after 3 days with no food.

If we want to do this i will contact the people who i know have done it with ribs for the logistics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts