YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi all, well its coming up to christmas and Im sure your wives and girlfriends will be getting steered towards the various shops so you can make a new addition to your diving kit. But and intresting point I would like to raise is... what do you choose ?? now I know there are a lot of divers out there who for some reason find that the word "TECH" attached to a piece of equipment makes it a #### site more shinier and professional looking that something laid next to it that hasnt. Whats even more sad about the situation is that all of a sudden when this kit is donned it seems to give those divers an instant image. It would be intresting to know what all your opinions are on this. Why would you choose the Wing or why would you choose the STAB
I await your overall opinions ... divedog

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Santa has come early for me and I've just treated myself to a new dry suit, 7l stage bottle and Apeks reg but I will be looking at some wings next year as I can probably see myself buying a twinset. Am still happy with my BC at present and the word TECH is nowhere to be seen! (It does say PRO on it though - does that count?)

Regards

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Why do you need wings for a twinset ?? ok .. it may give you a good bouyancy and suspended position once your in the water .. but the main point really I was trying to get at is.... you've been involved in an incident.. youve surfaced unconcious.. which of the 2 gives you better surface flotation regardless of 10/12/15/twin sets. How many of you have actually simulated this on the surface with your own equipment - does it put you in a heads up or heads down in the water position... I regard it as a major quality when you are looking at buying either one !!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

With the introduction of jacket type Stab BCDs in the 1980's there were very few models that actually left you in a head up face clear of the water position,designs have got better now some admittedly seem to leave you floating in a better position than others. The position they are designed to keep you in under the water usually conflicts with that you need to be if unconcious on the surface.
The stab type jackets seem to me to at least retain some of the ideas of surface support. Agree if going for twins the wing type set ups seem better suited. A bouyancy system thats flexible is ideal the Dive rite trans pak ones offer lots of options. If you want to go the whole hog on the Techie route OMS or Custom divers are the business, with lots of bouyancy, the top model oms wing is a "beast"complete with the bungies, to crush the wing when not inflated. As usual a lot of its down to personal choice.
My own bcd's a Oceanic Chute a find that fine.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

I must admit that I wouldn't choose my jacket / wings based on the possible scenario of being unconscious at the surface for several reasons. The first being that when I dive, I dive pretty close to my buddy - we descend, dive and ascend together and I'd hope that he would be able to cope with me being unconscious at the surface. Secondly, even if unconscious at the surface, I'd still have my reg in and that 'should' stay in place for a while anyway. My BC is a Seaquest Pro QD and, at the end of a dive with an empty steel 15l, it would tend to push me slightly forward if I let it even though the front bladders are full.

Neither a stab/BC or wings are intended as flotation devices and so I'd go for the wings on a twinset based on the increased buoyancy.

Regards

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Ok great to see some of the points that came up - but got to admit I was cuffin you all a little there and I got to make a big confession - My BC has the word "TECH" attached to it (Sorry) I dive with Buddy Commando TD and a couple of the features I like about the AP Valves range are these, the quality and wearability of the jackets are exceptional the cordura is extremely tough and hardwearing. The lift capability of my jacket is 26 kg. Ive never actually tested that for myself .. but believe the makers on this one... when you look at the jacket it has an extremely large back plane it is virtually a semi-wing when in the water and horizontal you really feel suspended in it - when fully inflated on the surface the large front compartments hold enough air to pop you into a face up position .. I have tried this with 10/12/15 and twin combination - I also opted for it because of the 0.3l emergency inflation cylinder - how many of you have actually thought of how you would achieve positive bouyancy after you your air runs out and you lungs are empty at 30 metres. there is enough in the .3 to fill up the jacket at 40 metres once fully... with that amount of air you can make a relatively safe ascent whilst breathing through the jacket.. I have an auto-air fitted to mine as an added extra redundancy and with regular practice I have found that I can make controlled ascent whilst using the 0.3 as my ejector cylinder - (be sure that if you intend to breath off your BC/STAB/WING ensure you wash it out with a suitable antibacterial agent, milton sterilizing fluid is my preferred tipple and cheap as well) this can be achieved by cracking the bottle slighty, breath normally and you will get the knack quite easily. I like the big roomy pockets and found that you could easily keep a couple of spare wieghts and a mask and snorkel in them easily - quite good when you are taking a group of people on a try dive and need those little extras for when things go wrong. Another discussion that popped up with the WINGS vs STAB amongst the DMs and instructors over a few beers were how awkward they were to teach and  manouvere in when instructing or watching a group of tri-divers and wanting to maintain a vertical position say whilst kneeling on the bottom - I found myself ditching my wing and opting for The old STAB again.. my back couldnt take it !!  The TD series were designed in conjunction with the Royal navy and I have seen both military and rescue services using the jacket - I guess that says something in its self - whilst we are on the note.. has anyone seen the Mares Dragonfly...now thats a pot of lancashire hotpot if I ever seen one.. I think the hype outstripped its performance .. there seems to be quite a few on the 2nd hand market !!!

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

On the other hand i have to admit i swear by my buddy tekwing for most of the same reasons.  Its tough, simple to use, versatile and has the small bailout cylinder too.  I wouldnt go back to a stabby now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts