1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hi all at yd
i have a techie question
at the moment i have got twin 7 300 and a 7 stage which i side sling ok that bit is fine but i am going to be getting another 7 stage and the question is where is it best to put them once i have it, either side sling it like the other so there are 2 at the front or the other idear i got off my mate clive who quads his up twin 12 with his stages fixed to either side
does any one out ther have this set up so they could tell me which is best
thanks for the help chris aka speedy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi speedy,

I think most people would advocate side slinging like the other one, some may suggest slinging it on the same side as the first, usually depends on whether its an aluminium or steel cylinder.

Quads eh, sounds interesting.
My concerns/questions would be:

Can you reach the valves fast in an emergency?
Would they be inverted?
Will you need longer reg hoses?
Hose routing in general?
How streamlined will you be?
Can you still get thru holes in wrecks?
Can you lift the set up on your own? (Stages can be handed off individually)
Is your kit still modular? ie. Take what you need and no more for each dive, or will you have to split it all up for a bimble around your local puddle?
I'm sure there's more and others will point it out.

If you answer all these questions I reckon you will be well on your way to making your mind up.

Stu.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Back mounting or quading tanks is not a good idea. You cant bin the stage in an emergancy and it makes you top heavy so roling left or right can tip you over. You cant properly identifie the tank before breathing the mix, valve access is fraught with problems and all in all I realy cant think of anything good about it.

Side sling is the way to go IMHO

I prefer to dive

Rich Gas Mix Right
Leen gas mix Left

Rich right leen left is a safe way to dive. Tank identification is only important on the boat but you can still double check easily during the dive. There is little chance of error even in zero viz.

I clip my stage tanks to the back tanks and ten to the nipple D ring. This keeps things tight into my body and I find it comfortable. Some prefer to clip to the hip D ring which offers far better steemlining, but I found this less comfortable and it affected my trim in the water too much.

Some prefer all tanks left but this is to allow for other restrictions in their rig lay out such as torch placement and wearing the long hose around the neck. It is also (I am told) better for scootering but I have never tried it. I tried all tanks left and found it more confusing and more dificult to handle than a left right rig.

I dive my suit inflation of of the leen mix so that is on throughought the dive. My rich 02 mix is presurised but switched off. I have a yellow mouth guard over the reg so its impossable to breath without removing that first. So even if I was daft enough to pick the wrong tank and first remove the mouth guard I still couldent actualy breath it without switching it on. Oh yes and my rich tank is white and my leen tank is yellow.

Just my thaughts, hope they help

ATB

Mark Chase

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Front view

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

I would opt for the front sling tanks, personlly I use as Mark, rich right, lean left. All back mounted involves many problems I think, such as going in and out of the water, wearing ring on a rocking boat....etc. Also it's better to adopt a system that can grow with you, eg. can you image backmounting twin12's and 2 10's.

Other DIR divers here use the dir way, so I would leave this to them, then I would try both systems and choose which one suits you best.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Why oh why did I take those flipping pictures, there's no stopping him now.

Andrew

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>side slung from nipple ring to waist ring

theres a good bit on phonexs site by kevin gurr on kit config explains side  mounts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,

Beanie can you post link here. Also I prefer to attach bottom bolt snap of stage to waist D ring, as for me it is much more easy to reach and gives me a better profile, as I am aleady big enough. hehe.

Andy/Chase interesting pics, I like watching others kit config.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Got to agree with sidemounting. Quads might seem like a reasonable idea, but you'll notice that there are not a lot of people doing serious tek diving using back-mounted stages. There's just too many problems.

Personally I work on rich right lean left when I use 2 stages, but very very rarely use more than one stage for a dive. Most of my diving doesn't warrant it.

You may also find that the quads will interfere with the inflation of the wing. When I tried it for backgas, I found that to inflate the wing enough, it pushed ont he back of my shoulder blades, and severely reduced arm movement.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>not really

sort of

have a look round the above sight for pics there diferent ones on there of 3 or 4 stage set ups 3s,7s, 10 etc

one on here er may be more aswell try under photos

·
Registered
558 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ April 16 2004,15:17)]Some prefer all tanks left but this is to allow for other restrictions in their rig lay out such as torch placement and wearing the long hose around the neck.
Mark,

I cant quite make out from your photos the routing of your primary reg.  I assume your breathing a long hose?

If so does slinging a tank on the right get in the way of deploying the hose?  Or is your hose not routed this way - i can make out what could be your hose tucked into your wing bungies?

What are peoples thoughts on this - is it possible to have the long hose routed DIR style (not neccesarily with a torch canister though, maybe tucked into the harness instead) when you have a tank slung on the right, or does this seriously get in the way of deploying the hose?

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello James,

I dive a long hose and have sling tanks on both sides. What I normally do is, first fix right tanks and thenwrap long hose Dir style and this works for me, as bungie the hose I ended making damage to wing bungie, cannot stow again and other things. In my opinion the first and formost, the primary priority is to danate your reg and other diver is breathing . If hose in routed under your sling tank, let's saw under chest d ring, you first donate air and then just unclip stage and cont. on but other diver is breathing.

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamesdavies83 @ April 18 2004,00:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ April 16 2004,15:17)]Some prefer all tanks left but this is to allow for other restrictions in their rig lay out such as torch placement and wearing the long hose around the neck.
Mark,

I cant quite make out from your photos the routing of your primary reg.  I assume your breathing a long hose?

If so does slinging a tank on the right get in the way of deploying the hose?  Or is your hose not routed this way - i can make out what could be your hose tucked into your wing bungies?

What are peoples thoughts on this - is it possible to have the long hose routed DIR style (not neccesarily with a torch canister though, maybe tucked into the harness instead) when you have a tank slung on the right, or does this seriously get in the way of deploying the hose?

Cheers,
James
I was in 9m of water in Wraysbury after the planed dive to 58m onthe uke was blown out. As a result I had £40.00 worth of 18/36 in my back tanks so I did the whole dive breathing of my 7ltr stage of 32% mounted on my left.

If you look at the pic you can see the omny swivel on my Ocianic reg that allows the reg to feed comfortably up from my left side without having to go behind my neck.

My normal main reg is a long hose stored in the wing bunge. It runs in two loops to alow for partal deploymnet and to reduce friction and alow quicker deployment.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why oh why did I take those flipping pictures, there's no stopping him now.

Andrew
Andy , is ya camera still in ONE piece after taking snaps of that UGLY OLD man.  

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pierre Farrugia @ April 18 2004,20:28)]Hello Mark,

On mine I damaged my bungie webbing with getting hose in and out, did you had same problem?
Yes but I changed it for braded shock chord (2.2m required) and its fine now.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
558 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ April 18 2004,19:44)]My normal main reg is a long hose stored in the wing bunge. It runs in two loops to alow for partal deploymnet and to reduce friction and alow quicker deployment.
Thanks for clearing that up.  Thats what i thought it might have been looking at your first pic.

James

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Imported post

I dive with two ally tanks on my LHS, I used to use steels, but found when full, they banged on my left thigh.

Long hose wrapped 'DIR' style, with the slack tucked into my waistband if I don't use a cannister light.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>thanks one and all didnt think i would get this much info thanks alot i owe you all one looking at getting twin 12 now thought but still got loads to play for
cheers speedy:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts