YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

It obviously depends on what you want to do, but, I run Fabre light weight steel 7's. They do me for 90% of the dives I do which is mostly in the 50 to 65M range.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>This one could turn into a can of worms.........

Personally I use steel 7s.

I chose the steel over the ally as the size of the cylinder is smaller, for me (short and wide) it made it more comfortable under the arms.

But I have regular buddies that prefer the ally as it's more neutral/slightly positive in water meaning it tucks up and behind them nicely.

Obvious suggestion, but try borrowing and diving with an ally 7, a steel 7 and (depending on what diving you want to do) maybe even a steel 10.

Where in London are you, you're welcome to try one of my steel 7s.

Juz

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

This is where im going to sound sad and say that at present I have got no one to dive with to try one out  

My regular buddy has given up to go travaling.

As mentioned it would be for one of the TDI courses. With my local club I have some dives booked through the summer but also intend to hopefully do some dives with some of you guys from this site as well.

Bit skint at the moment though so cant arrange anything for the near future.

Thanks for the offer though its much appreciated.

So these faber 7ltr ones can I assume that the steel ones are the ones you and Andy uses?

Think go dive are doing the nitrox ones for £109.00 at the moment. So this is looking a good option I think.

Thanks

Jamie

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

This is one of those "personal choice" things

I use Alu, since they are pretty close to neutral (when you factor in the weight of the reg) when empty, and a few pounds -ve when full. This means I never change my weighting/bouyancy by much , regardless of how many stages are on.

The real test comes if you ever have to do stage swaps underwater......

As someone else said, you do best just to try some of each out.

/Z

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

This is where it is important to use the Faber lightweights, they are Neutral with about 30 Bar in them. Mark and myself have got them to "hang" in the water.

I didn't so much avoid the ally ones, as not realise they existed when I bought my first stage, I see no reason to change.

It has to be said though, I am gettin a set of 10L Stages, I have a feeling I will get 2 steels and one ally. We used tis in Egypt and it worked nicely.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts