YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Standard Safe Practices Statement - use in every course?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Rod 
#1 ·
Well a big week of dive instructing is coming up for me (providing I can shake off this damn cold), and I've got one guy who's going to be doing a bunch of courses with me. Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air, Night Diver, Deep Diver and he'll start Rescue Diver too. I'm going through the paperwork for this course and I know I need a libaility release for the AOW & specialties, and one for the Rescue Diver. I also believe that I need a medical statement for every course, despite them occuring all together. But I'm not sure about the Standard Safe Diving Practices Statement of Understanding. Will one cover the week of courses, or do I need one for each course that I do with him?

I've looked through the PADI manual and can't find any info on this one. Thanks to you knowledgeable folks in advance for helping me out:)

#2 ·
The bit you are looking for is in GS&P page 5.

Every student diver must review, complete and sign: 1) the PADI Liability
Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement, 2) the PADI Standard Safe
Diving Practices Statement of Understanding and 3) the PADI Medical
Statement (RSTC Medical form) at the beginning of each PADI course/
experience prior to any in-water activities, regardless of training/
experience level.
However, these forms are not necessary for participants in PADI courses
that do not include in-water activities,

It says EACH course needs all 3.

#3 ·
Thanks. But with the liability release, it's not so clear-cut as it says on Page 23 of the GS&P:

"Exceptions include... when a student enrolls in a PADI Advanced Open Water program and completes the PADI Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement for Advanced Open Water program and Correlating Specialty Diver programs. This release covers the Advanced Open Water dives and extends to subsequent correlating specialty diver course dives"

In that case, it seems that only one liability release is needed for my AOW & Specialties, doesn't it?

#4 ·
I think (from what I remember having raised this question with the training dept) that you need a realease for each instance of open water training. So for the weekend you would need one set of paperwork, but name all the courses on the paperwork. I would suggest your best bet is to ring the training department in Bristol and clarify, then you can be confindent you're in the right!

Good luck with the weekend! Hope you have fun!

#6 ·
ScubaK@ - I'm actually out in Okinawa, Japan and registered with PADI Americas (it's a bizarre situation!). I thought it was with each instance of training.

Jules77 - I might just follow your advice and get them to sign one for each course. Better to be overprotected than underprotected.

#10 ·
I would still go with what is states on page 5 of GS&P in bold and what it says at the top of the FAQs:-
Because each course may expose the student diver to different
potential risks, the student needs to understand those risks,
assume responsibility and release the instructor from liability by
completing a new form.

If any problem occurs I would rather be over covered than under covered.

#11 ·
You can never have too many bits of paper when it comes to this type of thing, I would do a release for each course. The combined release is not the clearest piece of documentation in the world, could do with being reworded to make it clearer TBH, and as Rod said you are better safe than sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.