YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slight change of thread but what do people do to help stay awake on the journey home?

I drove scapa to guildford nonstop last week (at the end of the day) and with a few of the ideas picked up over the years was fine all the way home. Most of these came from mates that are either forces or truckers.
the one's I adopt are:-

have a tooth brush on the dash ( brush your teath and gums every hour or so) works a treat!

drink lots I was having 500ml every 45 minutes a mix of friut juice and lucosade

A stage of 100% don't go amis!

drive bare foot with the heating on your feet and the window open your not cold but you've got lots of fresh air.

Loud music!

Fin

·
Registered
298 Posts
Slight change of thread but what do people do to help stay awake on the journey home?
Pull in at the services and have a sleep. I have been guilty of driving when too tired as the urge to get home is always strong and you can convince yourself that you will be ok. The odd red bull helps to stay alert but I think that if you are tired enough to be thinking about ways to stay awake you shouldn't really be driving!

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
If I am with Mike, I yawn a couple of times when we are about 20 miles into the journey and he offers to take over.....then normally ends up driving all the way.

If I am alone, then like Janos, I pull over, set my alarm and have a 20min "power nap" then get going again.

Wetting the top of your eyelids, opening the window, RedBull and loud music can keep things going short term.

Mal

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Stop often, even if its just for 10 minutes can do wonders and yes do the power nap thing aswell.
Having nearly crashed a few times over the years through tiredness I would say that pushig it is just not worth it, better get there late than not at all.
Ha, used to do loads of pro plus and lucozade cocktails at one stage but it does not last!:redface:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quick 20 min nap, then get out of the car and walk around. I go for a talk radio rather than loud music unless Im singing along. Window down pleanty of fluids.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I often make long journeys alone, I have recently discovered RedBull :)

Dianne told me about ProPlus, but haven't tried that. I can only go so long depending on what I have been doing and how long the journey is and it is only on the way back - but eventually I might have to stop for a kip.

I only just made it home the other week after a night dive to Stoney. :frown:

There is no way I could do Guildford to Scapa :eek:

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
chewing gum, I find it keeps me awake and alert, I also use coffee, power naps, frequent stops, window open and talking books, a good talking book on 10 or 12 CDs will actually have me looking forward to the journey.

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chewing gum, I find it keeps me awake and alert, I also use coffee, power naps, frequent stops, window open and talking books, a good talking book on 10 or 12 CDs will actually have me looking forward to the journey.

I was going to use talking books but did not want to stop to find them out of the back of the van.

I'll pack a bit better next time!

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I booked my trip to Scapa this year and planned travel times to give me time for a nap mid journey.

But, I was looking in Maplins 2 days ago, and saw an interesting device. It looks a bit like a bluetooth ear piece and when your head rocks forward, as it does if you doze off at the wheel, it sounds a loud bleep into your ear waking you up again.

Having nearly crashed more than once through tiredness, I am a bit cautions of forcing myself awake on long car journeys, as your concentration is well down even if you are technically awake. But this might be a good idea if (1) you have no other option (2) to tell you when you need to pull over and sleep for 30 mins.

Oh, and after you awake from your 30min nap - Red Bull (or Red whatever) is your friend :D

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unfortunatly the have a nap dose not work for me

I realy stuggle to sleep in any thing other than horisontal position. I really jealous of people can sleep on trains ect but for me I can't sleep upright. Also even if I could sleep 10-30 minutes sleep makes me worse. I can get away with 4-5 hous sleep a night but catnaps don't seam to work for me it's all or nothing!

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Once you've slept next to an open door in a plane, anywhere else becomes a doddle. I can even put of with Howard and GLOC snoring, which is astonishing as it means I must be clearing my ears in my sleep from the pressure changes caused by the two rattle monster's in the same room

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
apart from sleep / power naps I do the following:

• Talking Books - really kills the mileage
  • I have the GPS with the voice of 'Granny Rose'. An old granny that sounds she is about to kick the bucket, it makes me chuckle.
  • Talk on the phone (with hands off of course). That is when I get in touch with relatives and friends and bore them endlessly!
  • Drink a lot so you need to stop more often to pee.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Well it works for me......

The heady combination of Pro-plus & Red Bull (or any high-caffeine drink) - but never on the way to a dive! Power naps @ service stations or laybys - usually neccessary if I have been taking Sturgenon. Avoiding sandwiches or stodge or sugar before driving and just eating high protein foods. Talking books are great too...

Dianne (only 750 miles, 11.5 hours & one speeding fine from home)

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
in a discussion on the safespeed forum, one of the imbeciles on there suggested that if you felt yourself dropping off, you should drive faster as this would keep you more alert. Presumably they would expect to use this a the defnece when they received the speeding ticket - "yes yr'honour, I had to drive faster in case I fell asleep".

I had a "microsleep" once in lane 3 of the m6. I had some friends in the car at the time, when I woke up (it was like a long blink really) it was because the rumble strips in the middle of the road. I was a bit shocked, I had thought the rest of the occupants were asleep but as I looked around I saw 3 terrified faces in the rear view mirror - they made me stop and then proceeded to slap me for scaring the heck out of them!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts