YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of taking some cheap bands to the Red Sea for a liveaboard trip so that I could use my usual OMS SS backplate.

Anyone know what size bands to take for standard Red Sea liveaboard cylinders (specifically Hurricane). Looking at Custom Divers bands 10/12 ltr.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
How about using twin buddy bands, soft webbing cam bands plus the plastic blocks and tie them together as indies. You would need 4 slots in the b/p to do this. They weigh next to nothing and you could either keep them for the next trip or flog them on e-bay. They also have the advantage of being able to accomodate virtually any tank diameter, even two different diameter cylinders simultaneously.

Some on e-bay right now
eBay.co.uk - buddy bands, Records, DVDs, SCUBA Snorkelling items at low prices
Matt

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i'd go with matt on this one, although you don't need 4 slots, just two if you're cunning and use a triglide ;)

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that's the way I thought I'd end up going. Life is never that easy.

My OMS backplate and IQ harness only has holes for bolts to go through. As far as I can see I can't put bolts through the Buddy Band system.

So I was looking at cheapo Custard Divers bands because of the bolts, except they don't have the advantage of being adjustable. I was thinking the 12ltr size would be OK, but I'd be seriously cheesed off if I go there to find they were too small.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
We are going on Hurricane next week but have booked twinsets - wouldn't that be an easier option ?

usual cylinders are Ali80's you would need to know what the dimentions are.

·
9,135 Posts
There was a thread recently I recal that someone (Skipper?) put a bolt through one of the buddy plastic lumps and bolted the bands to his backplate.
Migh be worth a search through the archives, or pm Skipper direct (if it was him - anyone remember??)

Alternatively, if you get the buddy bands I have an ali plate you can borrow, which of course will save you a lot of weight :). When are you going, we could meet at Rasberry on a weds evening.

Matt

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are going on Hurricane next week but have booked twinsets - wouldn't that be an easier option ?
Definitely might be ...

- How much are they charging?
- Steel or aluminium?
- What attachment system, or does this include the plate and harness?

If it doesn't, there's an extra complication with my plate; needs mushroom nuts on the bolt. Another reason I was looking at the CD bands.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
£80

probably ali80's

they should bolt straight through you backplate.

Why do you need mushrooms nuts - I didn't on my OMS BP and IQ pack, I used nyloc nuts. I did use slightly longer than standard threaded rods though.

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
£80

probably ali80's

they should bolt straight through you backplate.

Why do you need mushrooms nuts - I didn't on my OMS BP and IQ pack, I used nyloc nuts. I did use slightly longer than standard threaded rods though.
Not exactly cheap. The CD bands are £45, yours to keep. Not much extra weight (by the look of them) and not much involved in setting up two independent cylinders. I suppose the extra money will give you the luxury of a manifold?

As to the bolt, I have a shorter bolt which the mushroom nut screws onto through the plate. Very comfortable and very little possiblility of wear and tear on the IQ harness.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on.

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a thread recently I recal that someone (Skipper?) put a bolt through one of the buddy plastic lumps and bolted the bands to his backplate.
Migh be worth a search through the archives, or pm Skipper direct (if it was him - anyone remember??)

Alternatively, if you get the buddy bands I have an ali plate you can borrow, which of course will save you a lot of weight :). When are you going, we could meet at Rasberry on a weds evening.

Matt
I thought about it, until I realised how cheap the steel bands were. The weight I can live with. I'll need to pay for an extra 10kg anyway, so I may as well use all my allowance, and the steel BP takes a few kgs off the belt.

I want a secure system as I'll be using it for deeper stuff with one or possibly two side-mounted cylinders, another reason for looking at SS bands.

Thanks for the offer though. I may yet take you up on it.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Well I hope you know the dimensions then, otherwise it will be £45 for nothing. Me I go for the easy option :D

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Not the cheapest option but OMS do an aluminum twining rig which allows you to use your existing backplate with whatever cylinders are available.

I have some in the garage and they are well worth getting.

It cost me £80 to hire a twinset for a week in the Redsea last October. These are not much shy of £100 but at least you get to re-use them.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Not the cheapest option but OMS do an aluminum twining rig which allows you to use your existing backplate with whatever cylinders are available.

I have some in the garage and they are well worth getting.

It cost me £80 to hire a twinset for a week in the Redsea last October. These are not much shy of £100 but at least you get to re-use them.
Kent Tooling do a very similar rig for about £100 - might be worth chatting to them also!

G

·
In fairness, that was the point of the post ... anybody?
have you tried asking the tours operator whether they use ally or steels, then you'd have your answer

to be honest if they are steel 12's or ally 80's they're going to be roughly the same diameter and if you intend using CD bands then just get a set suitable for steel 12's and a couple of decent spanners, tighten them down to suit, your not manifolding them so centre to centre dimensions aren't really a concern

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kent Tooling do a very similar rig for about £100 - might be worth chatting to them also!

I hadn't seen this; looks good. It's about twice the price of the CD bands but at least it's useable on any cylinder size with a backplate and bolts.

I'll also see if TB can go the extra couple of inches and get the diameter of the cylinders from Hurricane.

Realistically, whatever I go with will only be necessary for two dives. Add the cost of helium into this and it's looking like a pricey couple of dives. If I can get away with a cheaper option [as good], I will.

·
9,135 Posts
David, that looks very similat to how Skipper rigged his using a £25 pair of buddy bands and platic blocks, not quite as pretty but I'm sure he was happy with it.
Drop him a line.
Matt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts