YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Although I've never seen these, I'm attracted by the idea of straps that never break and make it easier to put your fins on and take them off, but I'm still not convinced about buying Jetfins, either the expensive, genuine article or cheap fakes (e.g Divex), because of the extra weight when travelling. So my question is, can I fit steel spring heel straps to my Cressi Frogs? Would I have to drill holes in them or modify them in some other way or is it impossible to use them with anything but Jetfins?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

When I was in Portland Underwater Explorers, the DIR shop had some modified to fit the standard fin mushroom fitment. They were a DIY job and needed improvement, they may well have done so by now. Sorry havent got a tel no, but try the internet or some other kind sole may be able to help. They are an excellent idea. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

John, how are you? Somewhere and I can't remember where I had seen spring straps attached to fastex buckles. I'll try to remember, but I'm sure I had seen them. In fact I'm inclined to get a pair for my technisub blades.

Take care

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

or you try this.
2 x 11" stainless steel springs 1/2" OD .062" wire
4 x stainless steel S hooks
2 x approx 10" lengths 5/8" ID clear tubing (might use 1/2" - will try both to see which is best)
4 x approx 1.5" lengths 1/2" ID black tubing
2 x lengths cave line tied off inside spring to prevent overexpansion

Assembly should just consist of trimming the springs to length (if required), sliding the tube on, threading the cave line inside of the springs, crimping the S hooks onto each end of the springs with pliers, tying the cave line off the the S hooks to prevent overstretching the spring, and finally crimping the S hooks onto the buckle lugs of each fin with pliers. I'm a size 12 boot, and I measured my foot in the fin, and don't expect to have to trim the spring - YMMV. The next shortest size spring is only 8", which is a bit useless for most people, so I'll stick to 11" to keep things simple.

(Edited by Scuba1 at 9:32 pm on Dec. 8, 2002)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks, guys! My local diveshop tell me that spring straps for ordinary fins were on show at the latest DEMA, by the way.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Gully,

Have a look at these mate, they cost £28.00 a pair (Halycon do them for £69.00 the pair!!). Stainless steel and used by a number of us here - I'm picking mine up on Wednesday along with my Turtle fins (like Jetfins but with a bigger foot-pocket). Hope this helps mate.

http://www.scubamart.co.uk/finstraps.htm

Cheers

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks, Bren! Ammers tipped me off about Andy's straps some while ago. I didn't know he did them for ordinary fins, though.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,
For those who already have them, are they so easy to remove underwater? I use Frog and Quattro and at end of dive I just open the quick release on the side, also if you take good care of straps they should never fail.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Oh, come on, Pierre! Rubber straps don't last for ever, how ever good care you take of them. What is more, they always seem to break at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Pierre,

I just got back from Maldives and my Quattro fin strap broke just as we were kitting up on the boat! If it wasn't for some guy leaving another pair of Q's on the boat between dives, I might have faced rather different prospects of doing the dive - I wasn't carrying any spare staps with me.

Then a couple of weekends ago, when we were all up at Hodge Close, I'm about to get in for the 2nd dive of the day when the bracket-clip (Quattro quick-release system) on the side of the fin sheered clean in two - cold water temps made it brittle. So sorry mate, I love my Quattros, but they are not designed for all weather/conditions diving......hence the new Turtles and the SS straps for me.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I think you'll find that when he said "if you take good care" this includes replacing them periodically rather than waiting for them to break first!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello again,

Till now I had only I strap breaking, so personally here in Malta cold is not that problem compared to you. But how easy are they to remove wearing a drysuit.... I agree 100% on their validity just I not sure about comfort. I also tried a pair of Force Fins with their bungy straps and like them.In Malta never seen them so you can imagine trying to borrow a pair to try out.

Regards

Pierre

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Or you can contact Andy Hayhurst(DALESDIVER) who manufacters and sells them.. I pick mine up next Saturday :thumb:

Andy on 07702 819381

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Reply to Dom:
It's not that simple, Dom. Don't tell me you've never had a strap break? I check my heel straps regularly but you can't always see when they need replacing, so, as long as they look OK I tend to go on using them, which is probably what most people do. I always carry a couple of spares and change my straps when they begin to show signs of wear/aging but, unfortunately, not always in time.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

No problem Phil

Hope to be seeing you Saturday, I think I'm meeting kirky at the Cape so he can try out his new twins, and I can practise me shutdowns

Dave.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts