YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday was a beautiful clear day in Weymouth. Warm (21-22 C) with little or no wind.

Arriving at the quay around 1700 I headed down to the boat with all my gear and selected a nice seat on the bench. I was early so had a little time to walk around while the others loaded up.

At 1800 we got under way and the skipper asked us if we wanted Stennis Ledges or Lulworth Banks with the provisio that the vis was better on the west side.

After Aeolian Sky on Sunday my choice was for the Ledges (and I preferred the idea of Crab or Lobster to Scallops).

The decision was made for the Ledges and off we went. A nice cup of coffee on the trip out there just about managed to stay in the cup as we navigated round the Shambles.

I was buddied up with Robin who I haven't dived with before. We discussed our plan and then kitted up.

Once in and ready we descended to the bottom where I sent up our blob and switched on my torch. Visability was down to about 1-2m and I had to set the focus of the torch to wide beam as the back scatter from the plankton was too much.

It took a little while to get the buoyancy sorted and I had a little play with my trim which seemed to be spot on. I could reach all the valves with ease. So I settled in to enjoy the dive.

After about 10 minutes I began to wonder where the ledge was as we'd been stuck at about 21m the entire time! It soon became clear that we'd missed the ledges and were just on a standard drift over nothing!

I saw plenty of spider crabs (one large enough for the pot but due to a misunderstanding between Robin and myself it lives to fight another day)and velvet crabs, a couple of dogfish and a gurnard. I've never seen a gurnard on a dive before so this was a major plus.

My spool work has improved slightly and was much quicker but it's still going to take a bit of practice to nail it. Also you notice a HUGE difference in comfort when your trim is correct.....although my legs felt slightly "floaty" whilst my chest had a slight squeeze so perhaps I was head heavy.

So having exhausted the number of rocks, clams and crabs we could look at we head for a 3 minute stop at 6m and then onto the boat for soup and rolls.

It was there we discovered that NO ONE found the ledges because we'd been dropped too shallow.....arrrghh!

Anyway on the bright side it was another dive and a chance for me to practise a few things.

·
Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean
884 Posts
So having exhausted the number of rocks, clams and crabs we could look at we head for a 3 minute stop at 6m and then onto the boat for soup and rolls.

It was there we discovered that NO ONE found the ledges because we'd been dropped too shallow.....arrrghh!

Anyway on the bright side it was another dive and a chance for me to practise a few things.

Thats a shame, still better luck with the ledges next time. At least you got wet. last year when we dived the Aelionian Skye, the skipper was supposed to have put the shot onto the Aelionian Skye, however once down the shot line my buddy and me found ourselves along with 10 other divers all gathered round the shot looking at a flat seabed with no wreck to be seen:frown: . Me and buddy went one way in search of the wreck whilst everybody else played follow the leader and went the opposite way. We were the only ones to find the A.S. whilst everybody else enjoyed the spectacle of looking at..........nothing but a flat bed devoid of any life:teeth:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts