YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
That has bought a tear to my eye. I guess you are never really over it. Rest in peace my friend.

Crossing the Bar
Lord Tennyson (1889)

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home!

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For though from out our bourn of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
Great work - well done to all who put themselves out. Looks like we managed a memorial and a great use for the money gathered. I think money is exactly what Anna and the boys need and I hope it takes the pressure out of what is a really tough situation.

I didn't know Steve other than forum banter, but I dived some wrecks this year that he sent me the marks for a few years ago. They were spot on. Thanks Steve.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
A fantastic all round effort by all concerned, and a very fitting tribute. I know that Smudge and Sarah have worked long and hard as well to complete the memorial benches and Smudge won't take any credit himself for all he has done for Anna, Thomas and Jack but he deserves a mention himself. You are a lovely man, Smudge - apart from when you swear at the traffic warden.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
A fantastic all round effort by all concerned, and a very fitting tribute. I know that Smudge and Sarah have worked long and hard as well to complete the memorial benches and Smudge won't take any credit himself for all he has done for Anna, Thomas and Jack but he deserves a mention himself. You are a lovely man, Smudge - apart from when you swear at the traffic warden.
Ditto :)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
That plate came out the dogs danglies mate. I sent Anna a picture and she was chufefd to bits mate. I owe you one big smudgie favour buddy. Thank you.
It's a pleasure. Glad I could help.

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
As Smudge has posted the final amounts received, I would just like to take this opportunity to say a huge "Thank you" to a few people as well -

Helen, Hazel and Rob. Without such a fantastically generous offer from Hazel none of this would have been possible. There were no corners cut despite the boat (and fuel) being given away for the cause. The week was up to the usual standard (of excellence) and the diving fantastic. I think I speak for all who were on the trip when I say a huge "Thank you" to Valkyrie and her crew, that is about as far as I can go as words fail me over their outstanding generosity.

Thanks are also due to those who came on the trip. As you know, the auction was won for £3,000 but each space was then offered on an individual basis with the divers paying an amount they considered appropriate. All in all, the total raised was £4,500 for the week, a substantial increase in the original price so again, huge thanks go to (in no particular order) -

Bruce (Rupert Bear Our resident "Anti-DIR Protagonist ;) )
Ed Van-Rosenthal (Crazy Aussie who was too lazy to fin along the wrecks and so got towed by Tris on his scooter)
Tristan Isles (Who decided to test the Orkney Police response)
Sarah (Foxe) Who got roped into the Police incident with Ed and Tris)
Richard Whalley (Sailorbuoy) (Who saw fit to pay homage to the Flow by Sacrificing a halcyon SMB, Spool and Goodie bag on the Bottle Run)
Fourie (Who bought a calming influence to otherwise riotous divers)
Garf (Special Mention Garf who lent me the use of his Landrover to drive to Scapa when my L200 blew up in Spain - Thanks Mate, appreciated).
Imogen (Who gave running commentary on the issues of the "She-pee")
Steve Kemp ( who found the joys of having pink fabric dye put in his Gloves)
Dave Burton (Our only "Casualty" who got bent on the return drive home)
Simon Butcher (Those who know Butch will know no words can describe him, apart from "Ginger").

Thank you all for your generosity and for your company on the trip.

On the Wednesday, Hazel took us out to HMS Royal Oak where we took an emotional moment to reflect on the reasons we were there and to raise a glass of Cider to all those who have lost their lives at sea, and in particular to Steve Cheshire. May he rest in peace.

G

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am hoping someone on this thread can help me. I am Steve’s cousin, Amie. I went in search of Stephen’s memorial plaque on the little information I had from my auntie, his mum. From what I remember, she would visit somewhere in Portland yearly. I came across this forum which led me to a kitting up bench at a dive shop from a photo I found on here. Unfortunately, the plaque is no longer there. From what I understand, the place has changed ownership a few times in the last 10 years so it’s been difficult to trace what has happened to it. Does anyone know if it was moved or can shed any light onto this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am hoping someone on this thread can help me. I am Steve’s cousin, Amie. I went in search of Stephen’s memorial plaque on the little information I had from my auntie, his mum. From what I remember, she would visit somewhere in Portland yearly. I came across this forum which led me to a kitting up bench at a dive shop from a photo I found on here. Unfortunately, the plaque is no longer there. From what I understand, the place has changed ownership a few times in the last 10 years so it’s been difficult to trace what has happened to it. Does anyone know if it was moved or can shed any light onto this?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts