YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Steve Cheshire Memorial Fund - who we are helping and an update

7K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  AmieA 
G
#1 ·
I know I've been a bit slow lately, too much to do, so little time, apologies! Anyway, we have reached and exceeded £1000 in the account.

YD clothing that I recently organised has still to be calculated, as a few tshirts were late, and a couple missing, so no tally yet but approx £500 more raised.

The very kind offer from Hazel and Helen for a week on mv-valkyrie.co.uk has been won by Graham Smith, who along with a few YDrs, is going with his club. Many thanks to Graham for organising this so that the memorial fund earns the most money possible. Graham is now in the process of collecting deposits.

Lots of small amounts added through donations and gift sales, many thanks to all

Why are we doing this? Mostly for these two chaps!

photos courtesy of Anna, Steves partner, on a recent fishing trip in Portland harbour with Mr Smudge

PLEASE continue to give, every little helps ;)

Many thanks
Gary

See less See more
#5 ·
As a newbie to YD, i have only just really learnt what the "chesh fund" is. i would just like to say that i think what you guys have started is absolutely amazing. just look at the smile on his kids faces. Pretty damn amazing if you ask me.

Hope the funds keep on growing and his kids keep on smiling!!

ATB
Ash

#6 ·
Hi all,
I would like to bring this one back to the top for discussion please. It's been over a year now since Steve's death and I think the time is right to do something with the money raised. I have a suggestion or two so here goes.
Anna (Steve's widow) is finding life a bit financially challenging at the moment for various reasons. We raised £400 the other week on a trip to the Polkerris. All of that has been forwarded to her to help her out at the moment (thanks guys).
There was mumblings about memorial benches and suchlike but nothing seemed to really get off the ground. It can be expensive and you can get tied up in planning applications etc etc so it is not as easy as one might think. So here is my suggestion, we are currently re doing the kit benches down here in Portland. They are well on the way to being finished. I can put up a little plaque and dedicate them to Steve and any money raised can be paid to Anna and the kids ASAP to help them now.
Over to you guys, all suggestions greatly appreciated.

#10 ·
Smudge I have a laser engraving machine here at work. It will print black text onto stainless plate, max size 400x300. If you want me to produce a really rather nice looking stainless plaque with black graphics on it then just let me know and I'll happily run one (or several) off. Just to give you an idea:

#8 ·
Give all the cash in the fund to Anna for her and the kids. I'd not feel right seeing them disadvantaged just so I could sit on a nice bench. Steve lived for his family, lets look after them as well as we can.

The plaque is a nice idea. Smudge, I'm quite happy to pay for that personally. I Have a recovered brass item that I could get engraved, or a plaque, or whatever you have in mind. Just let me know.

Paul

#11 ·
Oh and before you ask, it's not ink. It's a black ceramic that fuses into the surface of the stainless and is totally weatherproof- the only way you can get it off is by grinding it as it's glass hard.

NASA use the same stuff for engraving labels on their spacecraft. It's about £100 for a can the same size as a car paint aerosol.

#12 ·
I agree with Edward. If we can help her and give some financial relief it will help her more greatly. I can't speak for her but my financial worries are the corner stone of my stress, depression & nightmares. If she needs help this should help her and her bereavment process.

I would be happy to contribute a small amount, if many people can dig some change from their pockets this should be a great help.

#17 ·
Hi all,

just to keep you all up to speed. We are looking like getting this sorted in the next few days. The bench is nearly complete, engraved plate is getting there and the money is hopefully going to start getting to Anna this week. As soon as we are there I will let everyone know. Got a lot of big thank you's to make soon :)

Regards
Smudge

#18 · (Edited)
Hi All,
we are finally there and its time to give you all an update and say a few thank you's. Lots of money has been raised and I would on behalf of Anna and the kids like to pass on her thanks. She has been absolutely dumbfounded by the response. Its been difficult for her to get on with her life and having financial worries on top only makes things worse. On a personal note I would also like to say a few thank you's as well.

Money raised in total was a whoppping £6774.24

£400 was paid out in July after the charity dive.
£3000 was paid last week and the remaining £3374.24 will be paid prior to Christmas.

Because it was decided that our new benches would be Steve's memorial then all money has gone directly to the family. I dont think anyone will argue that that is not a good call. We were unable to get a breakdown of exactly each person donated but I think it is important that a few guys are mentioned as they have been outstanding. Gary K and Steve Summers for looking after the accounts, Gerry B for doing the tiling on the kit wash area FOC, all the YDers who donated dosh.

Two people that must not go without a special mention are firstly Hazel and the guys on Valkyrie who kindly donated a weeks diving and also Graham Smith who organised that week diving. Between them they raised £4500.

As for the memorial bench, think you will agree they look the buisness. The plaque courtesey of WOZ.

Thanks guys

#36 ·
I am hoping someone on this thread can help me. I am Steve’s cousin, Amie. I went in search of Stephen’s memorial plaque on the little information I had from my auntie, his mum. From what I remember, she would visit somewhere in Portland yearly. I came across this forum which led me to a kitting up bench at a dive shop from a photo I found on here. Unfortunately, the plaque is no longer there. From what I understand, the place has changed ownership a few times in the last 10 years so it’s been difficult to trace what has happened to it. Does anyone know if it was moved or can shed any light onto this?
I am hoping someone on this thread can help me. I am Steve’s cousin, Amie. I went in search of Stephen’s memorial plaque on the little information I had from my auntie, his mum. From what I remember, she would visit somewhere in Portland yearly. I came across this forum which led me to a kitting up bench at a dive shop from a photo I found on here. Unfortunately, the plaque is no longer there. From what I understand, the place has changed ownership a few times in the last 10 years so it’s been difficult to trace what has happened to it. Does anyone know if it was moved or can shed any light onto this?

#22 ·
That has bought a tear to my eye. I guess you are never really over it. Rest in peace my friend.

Crossing the Bar
Lord Tennyson (1889)

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home!

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For though from out our bourn of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

#25 ·
Great work - well done to all who put themselves out. Looks like we managed a memorial and a great use for the money gathered. I think money is exactly what Anna and the boys need and I hope it takes the pressure out of what is a really tough situation.

I didn't know Steve other than forum banter, but I dived some wrecks this year that he sent me the marks for a few years ago. They were spot on. Thanks Steve.

#26 ·
A fantastic all round effort by all concerned, and a very fitting tribute. I know that Smudge and Sarah have worked long and hard as well to complete the memorial benches and Smudge won't take any credit himself for all he has done for Anna, Thomas and Jack but he deserves a mention himself. You are a lovely man, Smudge - apart from when you swear at the traffic warden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.