YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi folks,
just to let you know that me and the wife are currently out diving in Sharm. Water temp is 28/29, air temp is 30/31.
and so far this week have seen a Hammerhead shark (fantastic), 4 turtles, a school of barracuda, and the usual red sea marine life.
I'll hopefully post a more in depth report  once I get back to the UK.
Got to go now, I can see a beer with my name on it.

Simon A

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Beeeerr mmmmmmmmm.

Have you found my computer yet? 100 quid if u find it.
Tony

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

We did see your boat a couple of times last week, still being floated, looking decidedly lopsided.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

just got e mail their friends were there and said boat had been refoated but no news its in port yet

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

It was slowly making its way back to port, we saw it in two places on two days, it'll be a miracle if it makes it back, the thing looks so lopsided. It was At Shebna on the evening of the 6th and at Stingray station 24 hours later

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Nov. 10 2003,17:05)]it'll be a miracle if it makes it back,
Think that'as a fair assessment Connor, especially as when we first saw it it was half out the water  then by morning it was only about 25% OOW  
Heath Robinson and total FUBAR comes to mind  
 Apparently the owner is less than popular amongst the other operators and no one was shedding any tears for his mishap
Chee-az
Steevil

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I'm sure that was popeye's boat doing the recovery

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

any one out there taking photo`s of its lifting and return? I would love to see it

Tony

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Right,
I'm back (such a shame 'cause I realy wanted to stay).
The weather was warm and dry and very calm for the first 3 days, with a little more wind for the rest of the week.
The Air temps for the week were variable between 27-31 degrees but the sea temp was apparently unseasonably warm at 27-28 degrees (can anyone verify this?).

Being novice divers with new kit myself and the wife poddled around localy for 2 days getting used to the new kit etc.

On the Wednesday We went out to do the reefs of Tiran, we dived the back of Woodhouse reef, apparently this is only possible when it's a mill pond. We saw a Giant Moray eel that was about 25cm's diameter round the head! and saw a couple of turtles as well as the usual Red Sea life.
The second dive of the day was the highlight of the trip. A blue water dive, we got down to 18 metres and leveled off and less than a minute later a 4+m hammerhead cruised past to check us out, absolutely fantastic!

Some Russian got bitten by a baby(about 1 m) reef shark on the Wednesday as well. One of the people on our boat who had had an accident and needed to get her stitches looked at was at the hospital when they bought him in.
Apparently during a dive a glass bottom boat came in above them and started to feed the fish! and the reef shark confused his elbow with some food, bit it, and then spat it out. He was quite lucky and got away with stitches.

After the hammerheads the rest of the week was just anti-climatic reef diving, but among other things we saw a school of barracuda, a couple more turtles, and heard a couple of dolphins (the boat crew saw them, but we only heard them!).

Hope this whets your appetite for diving the Red Sea!
Is anyone organising a live aboard for next Nov? If so please send me the details.

Simon A

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I dunno, there we are looking as hard  we can for sharks yet the Russian gets bitten by a reef shark and the Italian gets bitten by an Oceanic White Tip, but as soon as the Geordie and the Scot get into the water they all bugger off! F***ing wimpy Red Sea sharks, they know when they're beaten  
Bring it on....  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Steve, what do you expect with all that white skin and those shorts! Enough to scare anything off!

Simon, glad you enjoyed the rest of your trip and nice to meet you on Sunday, if only briefly. It's amazing, go all that way then bump into a couple of YD's out on a Sunday afternoon stroll in Sharm!

Hammerheads! Jammy git! Steve reckoned he'd seen one but the rest of us were not that lucky.

There are already plans for another liveabord trip same time next year. Watch out for it on the board.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Nov. 13 2003,12:57)]Simon, glad you enjoyed the rest of your trip and nice to meet you on Sunday, if only briefly. It's amazing, go all that way then bump into a couple of YD's out on a Sunday afternoon stroll in Sharm!
Mark,
I actualy managed to meet up with Conor and Kate at Gatwick on the Morning we flew out.
Our plane was ment to take off at the same time as theirs, but in typical airport fashion myself and the wife turned up and checked in early, and had a heart attack on a plate whilst waiting for Conor and Kate to finish checking in. Then we watched them run for their plane whilst we spent 2 hours sitting twiddling our thumbs because the plane was delayed!

Simon A

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

But it all seems like such a long time ago

1 - 15 of 15 Posts