YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just came back from a holiday in Italy. Had a lovely dive in 14C water off Elba in my new and very cheap 5mm Seac Sub wetsuit.
Two days before that someone nicked my camera in Rome. Bastards.

Not really sure what I'm gonna do. Buy a second hand Canon S40/45 to "use up" the camera housing which was a present a bit over a year ago? Or buy a whole new kit?

Just a tad annoyed.

Kyrre

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

sorry to hear that.  You will have to replace it before Norseman Junior arrives!. Hope it was insured.:(

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ April 14 2004,23:39)]Just a tad annoyed.
Look like you have the Englich habit of understatment down to a fine art, Kyrre.

I'd be totally P***ed off!

Like Jules said tho, Hope it was insured.  If it was then, mmmm, cassshhhh....

Still, out of adversity come opportunity - in this case to try something new and upgrade.  So, what would you be tempted to do?  Given the photos you've posted I'd say stay with what you've got, but then, if you can stretch to it those new DSLR's sure do look good.  Expensive but drool-worthy.

I know what I would do if Mrs Timing would let me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>What to do what to do.

First:
- Yes the camera was insured. I have a police statement. Won't be a problem. That's good.
- The camera actually was my Kate's. She bought me the camera housing for Christmas but actually got a bit annoyed with me keeping the cam with me at all times (Being an aircraft freak working on an airifeld makes you wanna take your camera with you at all times).
We do have a second digital camera, a Dimage X, which is very nice for snappies but not really advanced enough for my kind of use. I like to fiddle with F-stops and exposure.)

So what we're probably ending up with is buying another Canon camera for Kate and then I'm on my own getting new equipment for diving. Which really leaves me wondering what to do. Sure I'd like to get something like a D70 with Ikelite housing but we're talking loads and loads then. The C5050/60 optioni seems the most viable one. Or perhaps the new C8080? Looks seeeeexy! Dunno if there's a housing for it yet though.
It does seem I'm without digital diving camera for a while.

*sniff*

Boot I'll bee baack.

Kyrre

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>A trick with cameras that everyone ought to do:
Don't buy an nice expensive Lowe Pro bag or similar to put it in. Keep it in an old canvas army rucsac that looks like it should be thrown away. Then no-one will think it's got an expensive camera in it and you can even leave it on show in the car....

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre,

having played with a D70, it really is the dogs.  I reckon if you tried one out you wouldn't want to hand it back.

I personally wouldn't go for the 8080, I don't think the extra pixels are worth the asking price.  The 5060 and the new PT housing and extras look nice but I'd be tempted to get an Ike housing if I were buying again - they have connectors for true TTL strobe control now as well - but the price difference is not small.

Hmmm, choices, choices....

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Timing, sorry to contridict you mate, but;

The 8080 will make a better bet for underwater stuff than either the 5050 or the 5060.

The 5050/60 have roughly 5 million pixels on an 1/8" sensor, really tiny pixels, they can not store many electrons and so the system has a relativly poor dynamic range. As with all the Sony sensors they have a joyous bit of circuitry which frigs around with the data post acquisition but the is not the same as having a bigger pixel in the first place.

The 8080 on the other hand has a 2/3" sensor with 8 million pixels, the pixels are comparitivly bigger, plus the bit of clever circuitry = better dynamic range = better low light pictures.

Since my camera flooded I have tried various options, including a housing for my D100 (this was rather like trying to dive whilst carrying a dustbin).

This 8080 really looks like the solution I have been waiting for, there is now housing for it yet, but it won't be long in coming.

Again, Timing, please accept my humble appologies for disagreeing with you, I don't mean any offense in any way, honest.

Andrew

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well I had a chat with my insurance man (who's also a diver) and it took about 12 hours before the insurance money was in my bank account and 12 hours and 4 minutes before a Canon S50 was ordered. With a 1 GB card.

A totally new kit will have to wait. A £1200 garage bill took care of that thought...

Kyrre

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Nice One Kyrre.  Look forward to seeing the continuing Norseman saga with pictures.

Andy - I'm outraged - I DEMAND AN APOLOGY, oh you already have - well thats me clamed down then.
 No worries mate - I'm happy to be corrected.  I hadn't realised that they'd increased the sensor size so the piccys should def. be of better quality.  I've read reviews of the Sony 8mp camera (using the same sensor) and they have been very good - also due to the excellent lens that the camera has.  Reviews of the Oly 8080 that I've seen have suggested that it is a bit of a pig to use (ergonomically speaking) but I haven't tried one out so can't speak from my own experience.  

Have you tried the Sony?  It looks the better camera.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Glad to hear the insurance company paid out, Kyrre. Mine wouldn't when I flooded my Motormarine II EX a month ago. They said it must either have been due to a faulty component or to faulty handling by me, neither of which was covered. And I thought the "all risk" part of my homeowner's insurance covered just about everything!! They said they would have paid out if I'd dropped the camera in the sea, to which I replied "Well, then, the best thing I can do now is throw it in the sea, right?". Of course, they pointed out that that would be a criminal act. Anyway, I found a replacement used camera for sale at a very fair price on an American underwater photography forum and it's hopefully on the way to me from New York now. It also turned out that an acquaintance wanted to sell his MM II, so I bought that one too, at the same low price, and will now have a back-up if anything happens, especially on trips abroad. I wanted to get the same camera as I already have the strobe, optical viewfinder and  wide angle and 1:2 and 1:3 macro lenses. Actually, another strobe came with the camera I bought from my acquaintance, so I'm now contemplating mounting dual strobes on the camera if I can still get hold of the dual sync connector.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

How much gear John?  We'll have to start calling you John 'Doubilet' Gulliver.

Trouble is you'll be tempted to take it all when you next go on hols "Just in Case" - imagine those excess charges.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ April 21 2004,14:28)]How much gear John?  We'll have to start calling you John 'Doubilet' Gulliver.

Trouble is you'll be tempted to take it all when you next go on hols "Just in Case" - imagine those excess charges.
Fortunately, Tim, my next long trip wil be back to Vancouver Island (in September) and the baggage allowance is 2 x 32 kilos plus 8 kilos hand luggage. I might have problems when I go to the Red Sea again next year, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts