YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Imported post

I guess the answer to the argument about whether or not to continue as a solo dive is whether both parties would have happily started the dive solo.

Personally I wouldn't so therefore I wouldn't agree to a buddy continuing solo if we were seperated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If u are lost, then trapped and then drowoned, the chance of someone finding / rescuing you are very slim. Its basically body recovery!
Well, if they've drowned then it's body recovery  
, but if you are lost/trapped then you have as long as thier air lasts to go to thier aid.  At least you have then tried rather than saying that you don't want your dive cut short so they are on their own!

Mind you this only works if both parties are clear on the one minute searching then surface rule (or whatever rule you lay down between you).  It also means that you have to have a plan beyond that, as your incident showed clearly.  It would great to read it as it is something that we maybe get a little slack on when diving somewhere like Stoney, lulled into the impression that it is safe.  I think it is easy to forget that people die diving at Stoney the same as anywhere else.

Cheers for the report, guys

Glad it did all work out ok

Lou

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Imported post

Ben

The main point of a buddy is, for the experienced diver, to know the equipment that his/her buddy is wearing.  Therefore it is most definately *NOT* a waste of time.  It is precisely because there are so many variation that it need to be done, especially if diving with people you don't usually buddy.

It does appear that you can't be bothered to learn your buddies equipment and so just dive with an "i'm all right, Jack" attitude.  Do you make this clear to anyone you dive with?  Did the guys you were diving with all know that you had no intention of being in a position to help them if they got into trouble?  That you were assuming them to be solo divers in the same water as you?

It is all very well having your attitude but communication before a dive is essential so that no-one is entering the water under any misunderstanding.

Regards

Lou

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.