YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>hmm, I think some of these slanderous comments should be addessed.

Ben was quite happily swimming about inside some helicopter when he came out to find all his buddies had buggered off. He stayed where he was for a minute looking for them and then realised they were gone. Had he been anywhere but a proper quarry he would of had a nice long solo dive, (bearing in mind he had enough redundent air to be safe. Probably would of shot a DSMB so they could see he was alright.

However it was stoney so he decided to quickly look for them and then surface. he went up to 6m where viz was about 2m. Did a dafety stop of 3 minutes and surfaced. Looking around no buddies. ben thought bastards, they kept on diving, so should I have, but thought he would get out of the water.
It took Ben about 5 minutes to get out of the water due to the crowded exit points. Look about, still no buddies.

Bens got twin 12s on so his back is breaking so he goes back to the car to de kit. After taking twins off and chatting to Ali for about another 5 minutes and watching the rescue boat plucking trainees out. He heres a "Ben" being shouted across the water. Embaressed he shouts back and hides again once the boat has seen him!!

Was I naughty, cause not. Probably should of waited back at the edge of the water after de kitting but there you go. Still if buddies hadnt had a 10 minute swim about dive / search we would of all met!!!! guess it highlights lack of dive planning / surface cover or agreement to solo dive if seperated!! Personnally I reckon if u split by accident people should solo dive. If u are lost, then trapped and then drowoned, the chance of someone finding / rescuing you are very slim. Its basically body recovery!

Anyway. All sorted its self out. At least they tried to save me!

nige, behave (tell my mom!) Watch it or Ill tell your wife what you get up to underwater........ guess who will get grounded first!

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Nige,  

Not trying to be provocative or wind anyone up and not aimed at you at all.. , but

Buddy checks are a waste of time, people should be compotent enough and aware enough to check there own gear properly every time and between dives. They should try and avoid getting slack and remember to check and re check and know there gear inside out. Practice makes perfect and all that. If your buddy checking someone and you find they have forgotten something you have to ask yourself what else have they forgotten or will they forget underwater!
This isnt me getting lacksadazy or whatever, i take my diving seriously and practice / dive every weekend....  but i believe if they dont trust themselves to do the basics.......

They should also preferably know each others setup, but these days its difficult with all the gear..... back to the argument that every dive is really a solo dive, buddy or not!

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Its not a question of being rash, taking short cuts or forgeting the basics, its just being realistic. I am happy to check out anyones equipment if they ask pre dive. I believe in dive planning and diving said plan, but how many people do this on multi level quarry dives or sea dives, hardly anyone who I have dived with from YD, and I have dived with quite a lot of people from YD. Also with internet buddies always have different or unusual equipment, pros & cons of club diving vs internet diving. When people are being fully honest we all cut "some" traditional corners.  I personnally believe, rightly or wrongly, that people should take more responsibility and a realistic outlook when diving. Whenever is surface cover that good, as mentioned above, when people dive as pairs, with one leading, is the other navigating as well. If they both become seperated only one has a clue where they are.
The fact is most people who dive outside of training or clubs do so in an alpine style. Rightly or wrongly. If they do they should realise this and accept it, and have the training and equipment and experience to deal with it safely. If I have a buddy I take take the responsibility seriously, but I would not expect my buddy to risk his / her life to save me  if I mess up. Diving like climbing is a high risk sport. Some people seem to forget this and use the buddy as a mental security blanket. I am not sure how much secutity a buddy is. How many people here have tried a no fixed line ascent, breathing a buddy air source on a three foot hose in rough cold water sea conditions??

This is not to say I am a bad or dangerous buddy and would not do more than anything possible to help a buddy in trouble. Its one reason why I have a seven foot hose (ohh err) and carry enough gas for both of us in an emergency.

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>From a sueing people point of view,

IMO the more you put down on paper about safety, the greater the risk of being sued if anything goes wrong. Which is kinda why skippers dont check c cards!  Sadly its better to have "a sort of everyone doing there own thing in the same sea" philosophy. Yet its could be the view that bren or whoever should get everyone to sign a waiver to cover his ass, in case it goes wrong!!!! Come on america.

Especially with all the ambulence chasers out there!

Its a sad world we live in!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.