YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for not getting around to this sooner.

My first trip report on here so be gentle ;)

Got up at 5am one sunny Friday (20th July) morning and headed for Stoney Cove with CMP and Steve "The uncle" Porter........

The Sun didn't last long and by the time we were approaching Stoney the heavens had opened up. Now I'd heard and read a lot of things about Stoney and I was looking forward to seeing for myself!!!

Arrived at the gatehouse at around 08:30 had to fill in a form and pay the entry fee - I was a little surprised that nobody checked my certs. but didn't see this as a big deal.

We managed to get into the legendary lower carpark.... but only just. There was an IE course on with about 40 people attending. But we still got a good spot and started to get our kit ready.....

First of all we took our cylinders for a fill. This is an open shack across from the shop. The fills were a reasonable price (£3.00 for 12l O2 clean) and the fill was good too!!!

The changing rooms were a good size and there was plenty of room (for a week day anyway) to get changed comfortably with showers for a 20p charge.....

We then nipped down to the shore before kitting up to take a look at the water and discuss the finer details of our dive plan.

First impressions - well it was actually smaller than I had imagined but still a good size. The entry points are good and there's a few good exit points too.

Right onto diving - first dive was the Hydrobox (36M). Plan was to surface swim out, descend down the line onto the hydrobox, spend 4m at 36M then ascend slowly up towards our exit point on the Quay.

We started our descent down the line......... it was amazing just how quickly the light was going (it was now raining heavily so there wasn't much light anyway) by the time we hit 20M it was "torches on" the last 15/16M it became REALLY dark..... the viz was good though as we could see divers on the hyrdobox 5/10M below us!!

When we eventually reached the hydrobox it was like a really dark, cold night dive (this is the deepest I've been in the UK). I was amazed just how little light there was down there.

After the 4min we popped our compasses out and started our slow ascent to the surface...... on the way out we passed the front fuselage of a jet plane and we exited on the Quay.......

A great and very interesting dive!!!!

we then had a surface interval with cornish pasties, Cheesey Chips, Mars Bars and tea..... while we decided what to dive next..... by this time it was really pi$$ing it down.

The next dive was the Stangarth (22M) with a swimthrough (uncle to lead as he's dived the Stangarth before) and a helecopter on the way out.........

After a thorough briefing (including diagrams) of the Stangarth we started the dive...........

The stangarth is a good wreck and she's impressive when she looms out of the water at you. She's upright in 22M and in very good condition.

After a look around her on the outside we entered down a passageway to the rear and took a look at what must have been the engine room and hold (love the Titanic stye chandalier in there!!!) - we then exited under the wheelhouse.

Another look around and we headed for the helecopter which was........ a helecopter.

we then exited on the slipway this time where Uncles diminutive stature was a big advantage we eventually got out and de kitted.......

Another great dive!!!

All in all I found Stoney to be a really good inland dive site with some really good in water attractions and some decent depth when you feel the need to go deep.

It's not a place where I would consider going at the weekend as it was busy enough that Friday - I can only assume that weekends are hell.

The facilites on the whole are OK what it's really missing is somewhere to chill in between dives..... a cafe or seated area would do the trick........

Would I go again? yes without a doubt but I would be packing my own pork products and taking some chairs with me......

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Good to hear you had a great time... I am not ashamed to say I actually enjoy diving at Stoney... was planning a few dives off the coast here today but best rest after a very very full but fantastic weekend teaching...

Give us a shout.. no weekends for me either at Stoney but during the week work permitting.....

:)

B x

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Nice report sounds like you had a good time.
Good point you make regarding the food situation there.
Don't forget though if you can't make it during the day there's always first & third Wednesday of the month for night diving.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice report sounds like you had a good time.
Good point you make regarding the food situation there.
Don't forget though if you can't make it during the day there's always first & third Wednesday of the month for night diving.

Thanks Frankie,

I'll keep the night dives in mind......

I'll be back - it's a good site!!!

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
After a trip to Stoney mid-week this week, you can certainly see why it is so popular. It is a nice place to dive. However I could not cope with the crowds on a weekend, and they do really need to reinvest some of the money, in, as you say, a cafe area, and changing rooms / toilets.

It does kind of beg the question as to why there is no young upstarts challenging them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.