YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Guys

I need some info about stoney cove, and hoping some of you could help as seems a familar topic on these boards. Have trawled through a few past posts, but would really appriciate some more info.
Basically trying to organise a weekend trip for my dive club so need a bit of specific info.

What local B&Bs are about- ideally student budget, close, and somewhere that we can all drink the night before. Any telephone no/ websites would be fantastic.

Am i correct stoney charges £10 a day entrance? or is this for members?

Air fill costs?
10l
12l
twin 10l
twin 12l

Before its mentioned -would love to bring them up on your trip on the 21st, however dissertations are due in the mon!

Cheers bubs

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi bubs,
i was lokking for info the other week and found there is no web site run by stoney itself, but there are a couple of very good sites about stoney by clubs and individuals. I thought i`d saved them to `faves` but hadn`t sorry.

just try a quick search you`ll get the info easy

ATB
Rob

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bubs,
I can't be sure on exact air prices BUT  -lat week a top up with "clean air" was £3.50 for each 12l. Buddy paid £3 I think for a 15 - normal air. Nitrox is seriously expensive - a few week ago it worked out at some thing like £18 for 40% in independent twins!
Hope the viz is as good as it was last week - 15m+ doubt it though

Richie

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

also just following the thread i dont think they will do a nitrox mix for you at stoney at the weekend only air top offs, so if u r diving nitrox i suggest u get the mix from your local dive shop !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Bubs,

Check out the link below and follow it down the other links (a link to Stoney being one of them) and you'll get everything you need from opening times, gas/fills, entrance fees, the Monty. Hope it helps and welcome aboard!

Stoney Cove Link

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Yes...be warned...Stoney fills aren't cheap..

In my reckoning...at £3.50 they cost twice as much as my fills at the lake in Luxembourg.

When I went to Stoney and got stung i was lamost tempted to go back in and just hold my breath 20 secs between breaths to make my air last over from the first dive.

Credit where it's due though....err...where's that...oh yes...it's a bus and a boat and a plane (bit of). Bythe way, you know they do you over at the entrance....also, beware, apparently the local youth creep in and can liberate your land side equipment whilst you are pre-occupied with your mates poseidons going pear shaped under water

Security guards...?....You may be treated to a helicopter now an then...but please make sure you're not diving at the time as you'll miss it.

Reagrds.

Graham

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>For the rest of us, we're happy to pay a little bit extra for a site which has got far more in it than any other inland site, that has the best rescue team I've ever seen in action, and can accommodate 100 divers getting together and having a bbq on top of their usual customers.

Gear getting stolen is so rare I don't really think about it. You wouldn't leave your car unlocked outside your house with your dive gear in it overnight, so don't leave small portable items out in the carpark.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Beat me to it Digger.  I don't normally dive puddles, but this is a puddle specially kitted out for divers and as such it has its plus points.  Bring a twinset?  You won't have to get a fill then.

And you can stand in the carpark and have a barby in the cold like we did, or you can go and sit in the nice warm bar...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Mar. 02 2004,22:45)]And you can stand in the carpark and have a barby in the cold like we did, or you can go and sit in the nice warm bar...

Yeah, but they get snotty if you set up a bar-b-q in the middle of the pub floor

Dom

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i must admit guys i would not ever dream of questioning the prices for air at stoney as regards to the staff they too are also worth there weight in gold,when the chips are down i know who i want helping me    

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Got to agree, if the prices pay for the safety aspect at Stoney its well worth it.

Matt

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
Imported post

i've spent alot of time at stoney and i must say if you get fills from there they are proper fills 240/bar  no nitrox at weekends but its coming it costs £6 for menbers to get in,£10 non menbers but if you have been two times before you join keep your tickets they are refunded off the joining prise,two year membership is £15
the staff have always been very plesant to me and my friends and have helped many times with little tweeks need with regs and stuff,
i've seen them in action on a few actions when people are in trouble and you CAN not ask for a better team to get you to safty,
big respect  to stoney staff(not so much the slimy eggs from the cafe!!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts