YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have been conversing with another YD diver about buddying up at the Stoney Gig in Feb. I think that we're both at OW/OD level/grade with 45 - 60 dives experience.

The other diver has resurvations about diving together as we're both required to dive with Dive Leaders or Experienced Sports Divers on (Club Sanctioned/Organised) dives. I've dived in the past at Capernwray with Ocean divers, as my DO seems happy to let me dive 'outside the club' (i.e. with YD) also with Ocean divers/equilalent so long as there are other divers who dive at a competent grade, and so long as I do not dive beyond my level of training/depth), will I have to abide by BSAC club rules whilst at Stoney?

I guess what I'm asking is 'Are there any rules which might prevent me from diving at Stoney on the 21st? I have dived before at Capernwray, which seems to be a similar operation, albeit we're limited to 20m max by the bottom of the quarry.

Dave C

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>Have a look over this, might be a little help?!

Stoney Cove

x x x

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave,

What's your plan? Might be interested in playing in the mud hole but don't fancy the drive on my lonesome...

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave

Two OD/ CD can dive together within the branch as long as the DO says that is OK.  I would think even though you are a OD, your experience is enough for this.  After all PADI OW can dive together.  Stoney cove are not going to check your buddies qualifications.  Run it by your DO if you want to.  You are a responsible chap, as long as you and your buddy plan the dive and dive the plan, don't worry.

Just go and enjoy yourself.

Fiona

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>didn't check out the stoney site but from what i remember all they say is

'you must dive within the regulations of your training body'

BSAC say ocean divers can dive together with the approval of the club diving officer and dive marshall

the only thing would be is that OD only qualifies you to 18/20m, so if you went below that you would be breaking your training body regulations and therefore stoney cove rules (not that they'll check of course)

(edited cos i didn't read the original post properly)

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

Simple fact is nobody will check your quals because they cant regulate you once you get in the water so whats th epioint in checking if you have approriate qualifictaions.  Dive what you feel safe with and comfortable with and what your buddy is happy to do.  If that means a more experience buddy then go that route if it means a gentle bimble to the bottom of the cliff and back then go with that.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

please firstly forgive me for my ignorance.but how come u have to ask someones permision to dive is this some rule in bsac or something its like the person says in a previous thread plan the dive and dive the plan u wont have any trouble at stoney as 2/3 of the site is at 18-20 metres anyway (but dont quote me )  
the only rule that applies to padi is that u buddy up correctly and always dive within your qualification level
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The other diver has resurvations about diving together as we're both required to dive with Dive Leaders or Experienced Sports Divers on (Club Sanctioned/Organised) dives. I've dived in the past at Capernwray with Ocean divers, as my DO seems happy to let me dive 'outside the club' (i.e. with YD) also with Ocean divers/equilalent so long as there are other divers who dive at a competent grade, and so long as I do not dive beyond my level of training/depth), will I have to abide by BSAC club rules whilst at Stoney?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

If I'm diving outside my club (i.e. not on a 'club' organised dive) such as the Feb YD gig, I have to imform my DO of my intentions.  I will have to submit a dive plan before hand, and if the DO says no, then I go ahead and do it anyway, my personal insurance, which comes as part of SAA membership, is null and void.  If, on the other hand, he says yes, then all is well and I can go ahead and dive the plan.  Should I do something completely different from the plan (i.e. plan a 25M dive but end up doing a 40M dive) and it all goes to pot, then I guess the insurance is again, null and void.
My qualification says that I can dive with my level (or equivalent from another agency) and above without the need for a DL to be present, but if I dive with someone of a lower grade than myself, then a DL or above must be present.  I think that's about right - maybe someone can confirm/deny?
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hi ya martin ive just been reading your thread and cant understand why u have to ok your dive with someone else i suppose thats why i chose the p.a.d.i way to learn diving it just seems the whole bsac club thing seems to be very restricting. i mean there must be a reason for all this submiting dives and stuff just seems a bit strange but i suppose thats life. i mean if your DO says u cant dive a certain dive plan and then u go do it anyway i cant see the point asking in the first place. if uve set out in your mind that u r gunnna dive a certain plan and u do that dive if u are not diving with the club whos gunna know anyway???although as a padi diver i would never condone diving beyond your qualification level!!! there have been times when ive wanted to go down to 30 metres when i first started to dive its kind of has a draw but without your training to get out of any situations that may arise in my opinion not a good idea, and potentialy life threatning. im sorry to sound stupid i just cant get my head round the bsac way of diving although this may be a contenciuos issue i dont mean to ruffle any feathers

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Dave you could just say sod it and dive with me again - if you dare!!!!!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Heck, Noel, My DO has enough confidence in my dive abilities and restraint to dive with in my qualifications that I only have to let her know I'm diving with YD and where and she gives me her blessing. I must admit though, as an ocean diver within my BSAC club I would not be allowed to dive straight out of qualifying. I needed to dive with my DO or club Dive leaders about half a dozen times until they were confident enough with my skills to let me out on my own (in a non soloing way of course). I've got all the dives I need for Sport Diver except I've not done them with instructors so can'y sign them off until I've finished my Sport Diver training. It does sound strange having to OK a dive plan with some authority when you consider your self qualified as a diver but the way BSAC seams to work is to train novices to ocean diver to get them into the water. Then they are allowed to gain valuable experience diving lots of different dives with experienced buddies who are qualified to such an extent that the instructor buddy can rescue the OD if they get into any difficulties whilst on the dive. Putting two OD in together (on a club dive) is frowned upon as any difficulties may not be resolved safely by the other buddy who may not have appropriate training and rescue experience.

Seeing some of the divers newly qualified on my Menorca Holiday last Sept shocked me when they were unable to properly control their boyancy. Now these divers were in warm water, with no current, wearing thin wet suits and in 30m+ vis. Now compound this by putting a novice diver in a drysuit wth two boyancy devices, increased weight (due to Drysuit), in cold water, in 3 - 5m vis with slack water lasting about 30 minutes and hopfully you will begin to see the cautious approch taken by BSAC.

Dave C

I'm not slating any other training as every institution has its pros and cons.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>dave
im above d/l so u can tell her you are diving with me
 we tell our d/o not ask him but then again he only dives quarries

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

thanx for the explanation mate!!! i kind of understand where you are comming from now its great to see you are makeing sure that your diving is as safe as can be!!!i suppose with any training agency you use,has its good points as well as bad points i suppose you know how it all works when you start out on your road to becoming a safe diver. best wishes  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hopfully you will begin to see the cautious approch taken by BSAC.
I'm afraid, by not being a member of BSAC or any other club based training organisation, that I was not aware of the limitation imposed upon OD or similar - being a scum of the earth and fully paid up PADI diver I just learnt to dive, did stoney a few times (well about 60 and got myself up to rescue diver) then went out and found a boat full of other divers AND I'm still learning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts