YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

What a cracking day.  I thought it was going to be awful after driving through Brum at stupid o'clock this morning because the M6 was closed.  But my driver worked out an alternative route and we got there eventually.  Stoney cove is hilarious.  I'm going back before Xmas just to see if it still makes me laugh.   Every type of diver you can think of was strutting there.  Cave, SCR, CCR, Newbie, Twinsets, Nitrox, Trimix.  I loved it but i couldn't do it all the time.  We found most of the junk in the pond but couldn't catch any of the pike,  the crayfish aren't worth taking home either, they're much too small.  We got into a good car park,  apparently.  Met Timing, Digger, Mattbin, Andyp, Alex and a couple of others.   I think you should only go to Stoney when it's packed out, it would be very dull during the week when there aren't so many people to laugh at, my sides are still killing me now.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Doug (and others) good to meet up I wa with there with a newbie and a mate (Paul Steele) so sorry about not really diving with any of you and even missing most of you after in the pub, but it was good to see so many faces to go with names etc.

On our second dive we did the 6m ledge and found the pike, unfortunately very white and dead, however there were huge and I mean HUGE shoals of small fish 150 at least so some good may have come out of it, also saw a couple fo crayfish.

Started damn cold but warmed up and ended as a good days diving, flew the wing for the first time on the second dive and didnt make a complete cods of it, well apart from forgetting the damn dry-suit feed again, going to have to come up with a plan for avoiding that until its second nature. The new autodump now keeps me dry, well it would have if I hadnt tried to fill the suit with non-existant air and got water instead, but it was bone dry on dive 1.

Oh and Doug did that guy ever come back and moan about your bbq on his bonnet.

Matt

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Well, there's a few places I thought I'd never go in Stoney. Like under the floorboards of the cockpit, and between a rock and a hard place here there and everywhere!!!

Duncan was good enough to let me use a CDG harness, and I must say it was most revealing. I'm, off to my man in the rope shop this afternoon to see what we can knock up, and I may well be sidemount diving for a while yet. Very nice little setup. Unfortunately Stoney insist upon certain rules, like wearing a BC, so there might be a bit of jiggering and sorting to be done, but I'm sure I can come up with something.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well this trip was initially planned so those of us going to the Red Sea together in November could meet up; Tim, Kate and myself. Tim and I had met before but neither had met Kate.

As it turned out, the Red Sea trip had expanded considerably (with another 5 poeple joining in late on) and Kate couldn't make it to Stoney, which made the intended objective a little redundant.

Yet it turned into a good day with excellent weather and a good gaggle of YDers turning in an appearance. I don't get to Stoney often (far too far to go for a dip in a puddle) and we'd only planned to go there as it was about central for Tim and myself heading south and Kate coming up from London. However, I have to agree with Doug. Though the diving was fairly ordinary it was increadibly entertaining to watch such a broad cross section of the UK's divers all in one place.

As said above, nice to meet the people behind the typeface. We should do it again over the winter.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Oct. 06 2003,11:54)]We should do it again over the winter.
<font color='#000F22'>god you really are a glutton for punishment!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I really enjoyed myself.  Ben did too I'm sure.

Good to meet some new faces again.

Special thanks to Mary for donating a bed and a sofa to 2 strangers and to Doug for the sos sarnies - excellent!

Keeping it brief this time folks as I've work to do.

Cheers and keep on divin'.

Tim

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Sad to say I missed most of you, found Matt, Doug and Timing for about a Nano second,

Maybe next time,

Take care,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Oct. 06 2003,11:54)]As it turned out, the Red Sea trip had expanded considerably (with another 5 poeple joining in late on) and Kate couldn't make it to Stoney, which made the intended objective a little redundant.
<font color='#810541'>I can see your point about the initial idea of meeting up being unnecessary if no one from the trip was able to make it...but I genuinly, still, feeling like poo!!!

I did a couple of dives in a 5mm wet suit (on Friday) in 18'C by my computer (16'C by my buddys), I've now got a stinking temperature, can't stop shaking because I feel so cold and ache all over.

I'm sorry if anyone feels like I'm a blow out!!!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Kate,

no worries.  We'll be thinking up ways for you to make it up to us tho.

Now, I wouldn't mind a personal waitress on the boat....

Honestly tho, I can imagine how you feel if you dived in a 5mm wetsuit.  Just get yer temp up for the hols and yer be all right.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kate
I posted earlier I thought you were mental doing it in a semi, now I hate to say told-you-so but Jeez you were one brave lass, I did it a while back NEVER again. anything less that 18/20 water temp with anything less than 25 air I'm in the dry bag, with a weezle!
Dont worry about calling off as far as I'm concerned any diver any time any reason applies to all without exception or blame.
I'm sure everyone would prefer it canned than a trip to the pot.

Take care.
Matt

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ditto to what Matt said, Kate. Absolutely no shame in calling a dive. We all do it at some time and most take it as a sign of the good sense hoped for in a good buddy. (Though a 5mm in a freezing cold pond in October was perhaps stretching it - respect for your bravery!).

Of course you were missed and it was a shame we didn't get to meet yet but at least we get to save that pleasure for the shores of sunny, warm seas (in less than four weeks!). We still had a fun day.

There's no need to feel as though you let anyone down. In UK diving, these things just happen. I've had whole weekends away without a dive, blown out by bad weather. I'm sure some will recount tales of whole seasons plagued with bad luck. It happens.

Sounds like you really have caught a chill (perhaps even a proper man's cold) so take care of yourself and be sure to be fit for Egypt.

See you there!

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

My partner was in a 5mm semi with a 1mm skin on underneath and said she was as warm as toast, and she truly is a coward when it comes to the cold.

Andrew

·
Registered
145 Posts
Imported post

She certainly looked warm enough before we all hit the water....
Only down side to sunday was the 2hr wait to be allowed onto stoney to dive ....... never seen it quite that  bust

Andy has Alex sent you the group pic?

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Bouncer,

I have one on my camera, go on, gimme a clue, who the hell are you.

Andrew

Ah, now I know, the wonders of modern science eh, how you doin matey, hold on a tick lets see if I can figure out how to add it and slow your non-broadband down a little. ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts